Thread: training ideas

MembersZone Subscriber

Default training ideas

I am working on putting together a schedule for our training for the year. I am looking for any input or a copy of your depts training schedule for the year. My dept is a volunteer dept, we meet once a month, I would like to meet more than that but the "older" guys don't like that idea. I don't get much if any input from the guys on training ideas and doing the same stuff every year is not what I am wanting to do. Any ideas would be great! Thanks
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Okay, here's a few ideas:

#1) Dig out your old FFII practicals and start at the beginning. Nobody does enough ladder training.

#2) Download the FFIII practical evolution list from the OSFM and work on those.

#3) Work on the IDOL requirements:
    a) Technical rescue: HazMat response, confined space, trench collapse.
    b) Quarterly SCBA training. Donning and doffing drills; blacked out mask maze, low-profile and wire entanglements (more on that in a minute).
    c) Eight hours of driver training. Go to VFIS website and get their drills for driving. It includes the driving course. Do a poker run for the new drivers. Send them to all the small, unknown roads in your district. Send them from one to the next, so they can learn alternate routes.

#4) Auto extrication.

#5) EMS response and patient packaging.

#6) Ventilation (another thing none of us train on enough).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Go to TRADENET and get outlines. Also, a lot of good outlines right here on FH.
    -------------------
    As for the entanglement hazard. I posted a few pics here of our entanglement hazard. I built it from 2x6s and wire (Yogi, you shhould have plenty of scraps lying around). It was copied from the hazard the Elgin Fire Academy uses. The idea is to swim under the wires, and learn techniques to disentangle yourself. The neighbors borrowed it, and their training officer said, "You'll never see anything like that. You'd never go through anything like that. Let's make it a little higher." So they put it up on 5 gallon buckets. No one got stuck. I had to explain to them that it's not something you'd go through to get IN somewhere; but it's very possible you might have to get OUT of somewhere that looks like that. If you can get through that entanglement, you can get through anything.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks Jay, what is the website for tradenet? I did a search for it but no luck. Thanks again
    Lilyogi

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Actually, it's here:
    http://feti.lsu.edu/

Look around for FEMA, or TradeNet, or something that looks like that.

you can subscribe to the newsletter at:
    http://www.usfa.fema.gov/training/nfa/trade/
    Click on "subscribe to tradenet"
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

already been to that website, it is very good!
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

ok, just reviewing what we have done for training and what we need to do and got thinking, does anyone have a training sign in form that you think is the best or pretty good? I just realized how poor ours is and want to see what everyone else uses. Thanks
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

I would recomend finding a RIT class having a few guys do it and then come back and teach some of the stuff to the rest of the dept. Maybe even hold one through IFSI and invite you entire MABAS division or county or whatever too it. The stuff learned in a "Saving Our Own" can be used for more than firefighter extrication too, it could be used on civilians.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

HERE is a link for the Georgia FF Standards and TRaining Center. This page has links for NPQ Skill Sheets for the practicals nneded to pass the FFI and FFII. I haven't looked at them yet, but my brother just took the class down there and he said the skill sheets would be good for reviewing/training......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Darin, our sign-in sheet is pretty basic. To satisfy IDOL/ISO/OSFM, we list date, start and end time, objectives, and equipment used. The instructor signs, and then there is a spot for each participant to sign.

We usually don't get too wound up in our shorts over people who come in late or leave early. It's not been much of a problem. Yet.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Yogi:
    If you want to increase participation, get your schedule for the year and then assign 1 or 2 firefighters to a training officer each month.
    That way, they can help with props, research, etc.
    It's a good thing. Guys will be a little uncomfortable at first, but they'll get over it.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Exclamation training Ideas

Start with the basics, hose loads, ventilation, inital attack, water suppy, search&rescue, forcible entry etc. Check out the Illinois fire service instructor's website for some basic company drills. Also follow IDOL's requirements and you should be fine. I had the same problems with expanding the drill times, Like I told them, I'm the training officer, If you don't want to drill, volunteer at the nursing home. Also check out ISFSI's training officer 101 or the traing program manager class thru the fire marshall's office

Thread Information