MembersZone Subscriber

Default Help with Driver Training Program

Our small, rural VFD has several members going through drivers training right now. I think this is an excellent time to "Tune Up" the training program. We do offer some classroom introduction, but I am a firm believer in hands-on experience in the presence of a good instructor.

I am curious as to which specific areas you experienced FF's think should be emphasized during driver training exercises: Backing, off-road, tight quarters? I think it's too easy to wind up cruising the roads to get the training time rather than doing the difficult things that really need emphasis. Do you guys have particular exercises that you suggest, such as backing through traffic cone slaloms?

There was one old thread started by Kjohn23 back in 2004 that touched on this subject lightly, but I am looking for specifics.

Any suggestions appreciated. VfdDoc

Forum Member

Question

You don't give any information as to what state you are located.

Most states have some form of Firefighter training. It may be under the State Fire Marshal's office or a seperate agency, such as in Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia. It would be the same agency that certified you guys as firefighters.

A EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operators Course) course should be taught and refreshed yearly.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Another option is to go to the VFIS website and download their driver training course. It involves backing, parallel parking, alley docking, etc.

VFIS Downloads page

For new drivers, you can download the Illinois State Fire Marshal's Fire Service Vehicle Operator outline:
    OSFM FSVO
    If you're really nice, they may send you the course power point. While the PPT itself ain't anything to scream about, there is a handful of video clips included, some of which will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up....
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

District Chief

I also beleive that the Virginia Department of Fire Programs has their program description posted on their web site. You will ahve to do a search for the link.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks everybody. It was the VFIS course that I had seen before but I couldn't remember the source for it. Doc

Forum Member

The USFA has some pretty good stuff...

Go to http://www.usfa.fema.gov/applications/publications/ and type in the title, FA# or item #. All are free and you can get them pretty quickly.

Title: Emergency Vehicle Safety Initiative
    FA #: FA-272
    Item #: 9-0986

Title: Safe Operations of Fire Tankers
    FA #: FA-248
    Item #: 9-0598

Title: Alive on Arrival--Tips for Safe Emergency Vehicle Operations
    FA #: FA-255
    Item #: 5-0195
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

Originally posted by captstanm1
    I also beleive that the Virginia Department of Fire Programs has their program description posted on their web site. You will ahve to do a search for the link.

You are correct Stan.

Here is the link:

http://www.vafire.com/
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

The Chief Engineer of my station has us drive out to a parking lot that has several rows so you have 3 or more islands. He then has us weave in between the islands forwards and backwards.

Let me look around my station. I think I have seen some type of driver's test layout in one of the cabinets. I will get back to you if I find it.

Thread Information