Default We have a what? In our town? Are you sure they didn't say Auburn, MAINE?

Anybody want to make a bet checking for Trespassers here is now on the PD's regular patrol check list?

Auburn, MA is a suburb of Worcester, and pretty well developed one to:

Tuesday, February 8, 2005

Man rescued from Auburn ice cavern

Climber lost consciousness after falling 10 feet

By Jean Laquidara Hill Telegram & Gazette Staff

AUBURN— Hidden off Route 20 behind the Swiss Chalet gift store is an ice climbing attraction known to climbers, but never encountered by police and fire personnel as a rescue operation until Saturday.

Saturday morning, police and fire personnel, operating under the direction of Fire Chief William Whynot and Police Sgt. Mark Maass, trudged through woods and a river to rescue Matthew Grymek, 25, of New Britain, Conn., from an ice cavern. He was transported to UMass Memorial Hospital — University Campus, Worcester, and was released from the hospital Sunday, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

The ice canyon, with vertical sheets of ice 60 feet high, is formed by water pouring from the eastern outlet of a diversion tunnel built by the Army Corps of Engineers decades ago, according to Sgt. Maass.

“It’s a manmade canyon carved into rock with a river running through it, and a large concrete outlet,” Sgt. Maass said. He said the diversion tunnel diverts water about 3-1/2 miles away to the Blackstone River.

The 911 call came into police and fire departments about 10:21 Saturday morning, with an ice climber saying a man in their group was in “the ice cave” and had been hit on the head with a chunk of falling ice. The man needed medical attention, and to be rescued from the ice canyon.

Police and fire personnel learned when they arrived that Mr. Grymek had actually fallen 10 feet and struck his head on ice, and had lost consciousness for 10 to 15 seconds, according to Sgt. Maass. Some of the 20 other ice climbers had stabilized him and kept him warm while waiting for help, and assisted with the rescue, said Sgt. Maas.

“These are issues you find in mountaineering or alpine terrains that you’d see in the White Mountains or Adirondacks, the mountainous parts of the country,” Sgt. Maass said yesterday.

“Who would think that we’d be doing a deep woods rescue here in Auburn?” he asked. “Who would think you’d have this ice climbing operation here in Auburn?”

Police and fire personnel walked a half-mile into the woods to the site, directed in part by ice climbers who were walking out to show rescue personnel where the injured man was.

Rescuers were concerned about everyone’s safety because temperatures in the 40s were causing the ice to melt and crumble, according to Sgt. Maass.

Sgt. Maass said yesterday that even though the situation was new to emergency personnel, firefighters had brought ropes and pulleys to hoist the victim. As they carried him to an ambulance, the pulley system was critical in getting him up an embankment, Sgt. Maass said .

“Upon reaching a steep embankment at the river’s edge, the victim was hoisted up using a system of ropes, pulleys and rescuers lifting to pull him up the near-vertical embankment,” Sgt. Maass wrote in a description of the event.

He said climbers told him that Mr. Grymek was an experienced ice climber who had been climbing for about four years.

“Because of the ice and snow and very difficult terrain, the police officers and firefighters actually walked through the river to get him out,” Sgt. Maass said. He said rescuers secured Mr. Grymek in a Stokes basket and carried him through knee-deep water to a waiting ambulance, which took him to the hospital.

“Everyone worked on it together. It was a mutual effort, a cooperative effort,” Sgt. Maass said yesterday.

“I think overall the operation took an hour and a half, two hours,” he said.

As for the other ice climbers, Sgt Maas said they seemed prepared for scaling the 60-foot ice wall. “Everybody seemed very well-equipped and very well-trained. They have special clamps on their feet and special axes, and they use ropes to climb the ice straight up,” he said.

“I can’t say enough about the professionalism and ‘esprit de corps’ displayed by the Auburn Firefighters and Auburn Police Officers who worked side by side to accomplish what amounted to a technical mountaineering rescue,” Sgt. Maass wrote.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

I'm surprised that this type of rescue doesn't happen more often in Purgatory Chasm in Sutton....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

There's a place here that people love to hike, in all the guide books etc...But the problem is it's one of the resovours for the towns water supply, therefore off limits. We had a rescue 2 years ago, and the water dept super flipped out on the guide, saying stuff about blatently disobeying the no trespassing signs. We all though he was gonna punch the guy...needless to say he no longer has his job.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Thread Information