Default Background checks

What kind of background checks do most departments give. I know there is they check for criminal records and such, but does anybody administer polygraphs and things like that for background checks?
    Remembering those who died on September 11, 2001.

Visit me
    http://s2.forumforfree.com/?mforum=fireexplorers

Forum Member

Exclamation

We do criminal through the State Police, local police, plus your credit record, DMV records, military records and your high school and college.

The police does the polygraph.

If you are trying to hide something, it will come out in the checks.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

District Chief

We also do a local and state check. However, this may not be effective in all cases, especially if the person has a record from out of state.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Ours are done through the RCMP so its a national check, Calgary fire has a polygraph test for its recruits.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer

The police does the polygraph.

If you are trying to hide something, it will come out in the checks.
    Polygraph checks for firefighters?

Just in case you were all wonderin', I don't really care, cause I don't have anything to hide. I am asking for a friend that wants to be a firefighter, but has a slight history. He didn't openly say it but I think it has to do with arson. When he turns 18 his record can be sealed, but he read that some departments give polygraph tests, and wanted to know if it was true. Arson sure is one thing I'd try to hide.

Visit me

former FH.com member

Guess who does our entrance process polygraphs? Our Arson Investigators! I would hope your friend answers every question truthfully. Some mistakes of youth can be dealt with, but there is no excuse for being an outright liar. Trying to fool the investigator is a sure way of never getting hired.

Forum Member

All background checks are conducted by the police department. My department also checks with any other Fire/EMS organization that the applicant belonged to.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have answered this many times before. The answer remains the same. Here are a few points.

1. Pre-emplpyment polygraphs are illegal in some states. They are illegal in NJ. Illegal meaning the employer is not even allowed to suggest it. The polygrpah is a wonderful tool, but it is only as good as the operator.

2. The same with a background check. The background check is only as good as the person doing it.

3. CCH, DMV and NLETS checks will only show you what the candidate got caught doing.

4. An effective background check starts with a comprehensive application that would include references, past employers, past FD's and a consent to release information.

5. The person conducting the background check needs to contact ALL of the sources on the app.

6. You're not looking for dirt or personal opinion. You are looking for honest answers to objective questions.

7. Of course, the applicant will only put down references on the app that he believes will be positive for him. The person conducting the background check can expand this info by asking the references to note another person who may know the applicant. Also, a canvas of the neighborhood where the applicant lives or lived would likely turn up good information as well.

8. Do not rely on written responses from a reference. There must be an interview. In person, if practical.

9. Many employers will not provide specifics about an employee's performance...especially if it is negative. One question that should get a telling response-"Would you hire ______ again"?

10. Did I mention that I am fully in favor of psychological examinations for prospective FF?

Forum Member

10. Did I mention that I am fully in favor of psychological examinations for prospective FF?
    Yes you have, and its a FANTASTIC idea
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
    Guess who does our entrance process polygraphs? Our Arson Investigators! I would hope your friend answers every question truthfully. Some mistakes of youth can be dealt with, but there is no excuse for being an outright liar. Trying to fool the investigator is a sure way of never getting hired.
    Of course the truth is always better. I'd say he's $crewed though. I now that people can change and go from wrong to right, but I doubt a department would let someone on who has been convicted of arson.

Visit me

Thread Information