Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default tax referendum help

I am trying to calculate how much a 12 cent tax increase will raise peoples taxes in my township. This is a tax increase only for the FD, but before we can try to raise taxes we have to get the numbers straight. Does any one know how to do this?
    I'd really appreciate it.

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

You can tell people that if they have a house with an assessed valuation of, say, $20,000 it will raise their taxes $24/yr. The assessed valuation is 1/3 of the fair market value of their property so this particular place would be worth $60,000. You can multiply the assessed valuation by .0012 and that will give you the increase in taxes. DO NOT get the assessed value and fair market value mixed up. Make sure you use the assessed value when you figure it.
    OR, you could figure up what your tax rate is now and tell people to multiply the fire district tax portion by a certain amount and that would give them their new fire district tax. I'd have to know what your tax rate is now to figure that for you.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks chief, right now we tax at .12 cents per 100$ of assessed property value. My chief basically wants to raise it another .12 cents. Do you happen to know where i can find out how much the property values are assesed?
    thanks again

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

That would be at your county's tax assessor's office. Or your county clerk could tell you your tax district's total assessment.
    It's pretty easy if you're at 12 cents now, the fire district tax will simply double if you add another 12.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Default Half steps

I would recommend going for the gusto. Try to max out at 30 cents. Why? Well, another 6 cents won't hurt the taxpayers that much, and in five years, you won't have to go back for another referendum.

Are you in a tax-cap county? If not, then you probably don't have to do this by referendum, in which case, I'll STF up!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I think going all out would be the best way to go as well, but even though we aren't in a tax cap county our township is governed by a board of directors. A little history here, in the last 10 years, our township has changed dramatically from a small church going community to a community of doctors lawyers and proffessors who not only outnumber the fruit growing families that have lived there their entire lives, but also love to live in subdivisions full of $500,000 and up homes. But since these people don't care or know who runs things, these old families still get elected and run the township politics. The moral of the story is, any tax increase no matter how small is a huge deal to them regardless of how much of a benefit it would be to the community overall. So that's why we can only do this a little at a time. Anybody who has any advice on how to deal with people of this nature, don't hesitate to offer advice!

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Look;
    I am president of our fire district's board of trustees where we live.
    Every year, we agonize over should we raise it/should we leave it the same? And it all comes down to the fact that you have to have the money to SPEND to PAY FOR the level of service that the community WANTS. If your fire department is trying to force more protection on them-protection that they don't want or want, but don't want to pay for-then you will not win by referendum. What I would suggest is a two-prong attack. Keep in mind that this plan will take some time. Step 1 would be to buddy up to your trustees and tell them that they can raise the tax rate legally every year until they reach their maximum. More money; no referendum needed. PLUS; if you do vehicle extrication, there is another nickel per 100 for rescue services. Doesn't sound like much, but a nickel is a nickel. This requires a referendum. Doctors and lawyers will support this. Doctors drive fast. Lawyers will take their case when they crash.
    Step 2 would be to go to the doctors, lawyers and perfessers and show them how underprotected their properties are and show them the value of increased taxes to cover their butts. Even though they are rich ------, they love a bargain, because that gives them more money to invest. When you can show savings plus value added, you have them by their wallets.
    Now; here is where I throw up a caution flag.
    If your district has not kept in step with growth, then any attempt to get the entire chunk in one shot will be soundly defeated; unless, you have gauged public opinion and are certain that they will support the increase. If you aren't sure, then be very careful.
    Don't know if any of this helps, but it is obvious to me that if you don't do something, one of those $500,000 houses is going to catch fire and your department will be in the middle of a lawsuit; especially, if the house belongs to one of those lawyers.
    Good luck.
    Keep us posted.
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 02-12-2005 at 10:48 AM.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Thread Information