Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What kind Of Ventilation Is The Best

My department ran automatic mutual aid with Circle V Fire Department for a commerical sturcture fire heavy smoke showing. I was on the second due engine and due to technically problems with the first in engine we had our lines on the ground and were fighting fire before they were able to get there lines on the ground. Well the smoke was so heavy even at the road which was about 75 yds from the structure that you should have been wearing an air pack. The smoke was rolling out of the door and under a canpoy that was attached to the building. Until the fire broke through the roof there was no venilation done. What type of ventilation is the best in your opinion and what should have been done in this situation

commercial structure = truss roof = heavy smoke = possibly big fire. Don't want to put anyone walking around up there.

You may also want to include more details in your post, like what kind of roof, etc. Many things go into deciding what should/shouldn't be done.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

yds from the structure that you should have been wearing an air pack.

First off you should have been wearing an SCBA especially in that situation, Call for the ladder and get ready for some big water!!!!
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

EuroFirefighter.com PaulGRIMWOOD's Avatar

What kind Of Ventilation Is The Best
    Sounds like the fire achieved the very best kind for you - In this case I would imagine a total loss to the structure? What were the building dimensions? How much (sq.ft) fire involvement was there on your arrival?

Gee Bones,nobody walking on the roof of a Commercial? Somebody should have told me that 35 years ago,I'd have saved a lot of bending over.I'd want to know more about the scene and the building before I'd make a decision not to.A lot of our commercials are mill/heavy timber and even on the "new"ones I might vertical vent them depending on some unanswered questions.Done them off the ladder too in soup so thick you couldn't see the ladder. T.C.

Almost everyone is in agreement, proper size-up is needed to answer any kind of question like that. Building construction, size/shape of building, height/stories, window/door security, obstuctions/access for ladder companies, fire progress, 704 placards etc.

Just as Rescue101, I've vented a lot of commercial stuctures, but only after a complete size-up.

Very true 101, need more details. Might be Ok, might not. Tough to guess with what we were given.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

You definitly need more size-up info, was this a 20 x 50 commercial or a 200 x 500 commercial? where was the fire reported? what do you have smoke or fire? is it a garbage can just inside the door or a large contents fire deep in the building?
    As for not going on the roof, who else is going to provide vertical ventilation (other than the fire itself)? Opening natural vent points will help and protect the members operating the handline inside, (it is still okay to go into burning buildings right?) as well as providing the IC with a report of conditions and the size of the building which many times is not obvious from the command post.
    And what if the smoke is coming from a fire in the cellar?

Thread Information