Forum Member

Default The dangers of gas struts

Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

We had a car fire several years ago under a families carport. When all was said and done and the smoke cleared, there was a strut stuck in the front wall of the carport, passing through the treated plywood and into the utility room. Needless to say, that incident helped us in making better decisions on fighting engine compartment fires.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

FIGJAM

Have a talk with Firehouse's Ron Moore. He has put together a great PPT presentation on the dangers of these struts at fires and in extrication....
    Luke

Forum Member

It just happened again....... This time Sacramento, CA

Here is the blurb from Billy G's Secret List.........There has been another strut incident at a car fire. Sacramento, CA Metro firefighter Chris Marsh was very lucky in January after a super-heated strut under the hood of car on fire exploded, sending the 1" cylinder through the vehicle's body and right through his leg before "landing" more than 50' away. "I moved to the passenger side of the vehicle and started to extinguish the fire through the front grill when all of a sudden, we heard a large explosion," said Marsh. The strut was so hot it actually cauterized Marsh's wound, just missing the 27-year-old's femur before exited through the back of his leg. Marsh is recovering and expects to be back at work next week. Similar situations have occurred to other FD's as well...one specifically in CT several months ago that is covered in the current issue of Firehouse Magazine, "Close Calls" Column, Pg 26. As we wrote, it's JUST a car fire-one where our risk should be minimal when we cautiously approach in/from a safe area w/full PPE and a charged & flowing line to cool & reduce the temps of the vehicle/strut areas. Also go to www.WLFD.com for additional details, new SOP's and photos of the CT. incident.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Thats where mine comes from.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Thread Information