Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Update on our heavy duty rescue pumper purchase

Well, thought I'd post alittle update about my search for information, and the committee's progress (or lack of) in the last few months.

EDIT: Due to a miscommunication between myself and the commissioners, I must correct myself in saying that we did receive the information we requested from Pierce, and I still tend to lean towards them for our new HDRP.

We currently have a sutphen, and to be honest, we have not been happy with it. We have had alot of problems, and the problems have been compounded when we send the rig up to get fixed.

We will be meeting with Pierce, KME, American Lafrance, Seagrave and Sutphen.

I have prepared a packet for each manufacturer outlining what we would like to see on this new piece of apparatus, right down to tires and lights.

Also, I have put together a comparsion sheet, so that when we do meet with these manufacurers, I can ask each one about safety features, rollover protection, independent front suspension, CAFS, warranty, etc, etc, and be able to take some notes down so that when its time to make a desicion about who we are going to continue to talk to, we can have a look to see who is going to fit our needs the best.

I will try to keep an open mind to all manufacturer's!!

look forward to meeting with you, and be ready for some questions!
    Last edited by firefightergtp; 02-11-2005 at 01:20 PM.

Forum Member

I've been of a fan of the rear mount rescue pumper as of date from pierce but also saw some good things come out of ALF for what your looking for.

Good luck with your search.
    Bucks County, PA.

We just took delivery of an American LaFrance / R.D. Murray Rescue-Pumper. So far, we have be VERY impressed with how this company has treated us.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Excellent, I have heard some great stuff about american lafrance, hopefully we get to meet with them soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

firefightergtp. I am chairman of our apparatus committee. Would it be possible for you to email us your check sheet. This would be used as a resource for our trucks. We are buying 2 trucks. One is a Squrt the other is either a rescue truck or a rescue engine. So far our committee is deadlock on the rescue truck or rescue engine. Currently we have a very overloaded rescue truck. Any help you can give us to move out of the deadlock would be appreciated.
    Last edited by njt4276; 02-13-2005 at 03:03 PM.

I can't seem to figure out how to post the pictures of it, but here is a link to a webpage that has a picture of our rig posted on in in case you are interested:

Orrville Rescue/Pumper 63
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Originally posted by njt4276
    firefightergtp. I am chairman of our apparatus committee. Would it be possible for you to email us your check sheet. This would be used as a resource for our trucks. We are buying 2 trucks. One is a Squrt the other is either a rescue truck or a rescue engine. So far our committee is deadlock on the rescue truck or rescue engine. Currently we have a very overloaded rescue truck. Any help you can give us to move out of the deadlock would be appreciated.
    No problem, I just need your email.

Forum Member

Originally posted by MetalMedic

Thats a great looking truck do you have the specs on it?
    Bucks County, PA.

here is another nice rescue pumper. The website is cnyfiretrucks.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Rescue Pumper

This is an ALF
    Last edited by nwadler; 02-10-2005 at 08:43 PM.

Originally posted by stcommodore

Thats a great looking truck do you have the specs on it?
    I don't have them myself, but I could put you in touch with someone who does. E-mail me at ran812@aol.com and I will share his e-mail address. Or, it might be easier to simply contact R.D. Murray and ask them for a copy of the Orrville, Ohio Rescue/Pumper specifications.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Well, I have gone over a few truck specs from a few different manufacturers, and I have to say this is my favorite yet:

Beautifully planned, they just forgot independent front suspension and a few other things. Compartments are perfect, 750 booster, 1500 gpm pump. It makes me salivate.
    Last edited by firefightergtp; 02-12-2005 at 03:55 AM.

Here's the truck I was talking about:

tny
    MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firefightergtp
    Here's the truck I was talking about:
    Please make sure you take a close look at accessibility and overall workability of the rig. Chances are youíll be living with whatever you purchase for quite a while so make sure you do your do diligence.

Some of the items to consider is hose bed height, access to upper levels of side compts, access to the upper coffin compts, additional steps for crew cab/chauffeur and officer positions. At first glance the xlay beds look awfully tight and the addition of telescoping lighting to the back of the cab could cause additional issues with regards to those xlays.

Take your time and make the mfgs youíve selected work for you. Absolutely do not let a salesman lead you down the path of settling, make them offer you alternatives and let the decision be yours. Be very specific with your needs and wants when putting together your specs.

Another suggestion, try to contact the members of Squad 61 in the Bronx or 288 in Queens (1 to 1-1/2hr-short ride south from you). See if you can stop by and look over their rigs. They pack a lot of stuff (rescue/hazmat equipment) into these Squads/Rescue Engines without sacrificing too much of their engine functionality.

IMOP - One of the wisest decisions BOFCís, Chiefs and Apparatus Committees can make is investing a couple of dollars and hire an apparatus consultant. Consultants work for you and serve to protect your FDís interests. They have the credentials -- education and experience to help your dept avoid the pitfalls associated with specing apparatus. Two gentlemen who come to mind and are located up your way ---

Mike Wilbur or Ken Wagner.

Iíve attached links to each of their web sites. Take a minute to look over their bios, Iím sure you and your BOFD, Chiefs and Committee will be very impressed. Theyíll help you cut through some of the politics, their opinions and suggestions are both mfg and personality neutral. MFG neutral up to the point of bid review. They then advise who meets the specs and qualify as to which mfgs are providing the best rig for the buck. Of course dealer reputation and location are also considered.

BTW, I am not affiliated with either of these Coís in any way. Just have an abundance of respect for them and the services they provide.

Ken Wagner -- East West Fire Apparatus Consultants
    Mike Wilbur -- Emergency Vehicle Response

Stay Safe.
    Last edited by tjsnys; 02-12-2005 at 01:34 PM.

Wow, thanks for the great info! When it comes to that rig I posted, that is just primarily a start to what we are looking to get. I did notice the tight x-lays, which is something I have already expressed a concern over. Our truck now as it is has an extremely high hose bed, so keeping it the same height with the new rig wont pose a problem. I will take a look at the links you included. Thanks.

Originally posted by MetalMedic
    I can't seem to figure out how to post the pictures of it, but here is a link to a webpage that has a picture of our rig posted on in in case you are interested:

Nice Rig!!! , even if it is white
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Gtp,Don't get hung up on the independent front.It's nice but a realitively new offering.A lot of very servicable rigs have been/still are built with straight x's that perform very well.We're still waiting on you guys to take a "road trip",you're only 6 hrs from us and there are some really nice RP in our area.Our new one has 1250 water and 1500 pump along with about all the widgets you'd care to carry.Wish I could post pics,if you get the Responder newspaper it's near the back of the last issue. T.C.

Originally posted by Rescue101
    Gtp,Don't get hung up on the independent front.It's nice but a realitively new offering.A lot of very servicable rigs have been/still are built with straight x's that perform very well.We're still waiting on you guys to take a "road trip",you're only 6 hrs from us and there are some really nice RP in our area.Our new one has 1250 water and 1500 pump along with about all the widgets you'd care to carry.Wish I could post pics,if you get the Responder newspaper it's near the back of the last issue. T.C.
    Sure, but have you ever been in a rig with the independant front? We have it on our new engine. WOW, what a ride!!!! Smoooooooooth. Its like ridding in a Caddy
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Originally posted by Rescue101
    LOL, i know you guys are so freakin close!! I might take a ride out one of these weekends by myself, take some pictures and such. Only reason I'm so stuck on the indpendent front suspension is because we have it on our new ladder, and its great!! And two, the main road we travel at least 3-4 times a day with the rig is horrible!! I mean absolutely horrible when it comes to ride quality.

GTP,Tak a ride! I DON'T have independent on our new one and it rides great.To answer the question;have I? Yes. Would I like it,probably. Would it be the SOLE determining factor on whether I considered a truck for purchase or discounted it? NO. And I just gotta go here;You can get the "same choices"for a tow truck and I WOULD NOT buy an independent front for that application. You guys are getting "SOFT", you want Fire trucks to ride like Caddies.No problemo,buy an Escalade and put in a skid unit,Hehe T.C.

Thread Information