MembersZone Subscriber

Default Difference btw Strobes and plain Wig wags

Hey everbody,
    First of all, I just want to say that by starting this thread I'm not trying to start a debate on if volunteers should or should not have lights on their POVs. That being said, as it comes to lights I dont really know much, so I'm hoping that someone can enlighten me. My question is what is the difference between having a strobe system and a wig wag set up. I know that with wig wags you are just utilizing your stock lights in the front and rear. How do strobes fit in with all of this? They go in the same place, correct? Anyways, thanks for any help and stay safe.

john rhem
    SSFD

Forum Member

with wig wags (as you stated) you are using your stock headlights in an alternating patterns, usually by cutting wires and installing a wig wag switch.

with strobes (in the headlights or any other light), you end up drilling a hole into the reflective part of the headlight assembly, and put the strobe tube in the hole (the tube is shapped similar to a new style 60 W flourecent bulb).
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Default advantages...

Then so my next question would be why get a set of strobes? Are they brighter or more effective than simply utilizing wig wags? Sorry, if these are dumb questions. Thanks.

jack rhem
    SSFD

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as headlight wig/wags go, get them. They are far superior than the strobes. If you choose to go with strobes your headlights will drown them out if you have both on at same time. In my opinion the headlights flashers are the most effective attention getting warning light you can have. Just remember to turn them of as well as your headlights after getting on scene. This goes for pov's and emergency vehichles.

Forum Member

advantages of wig-wags: uses your exisiting equipment, with the addition of a headlight flasher, cheap, relatively easy to undo, can't use them at night (if it's tied directly into your headlights)

disadvantages of wig-wags: sometimes illegal for non-police vehicles, you lose your daytime running lights when activated

advantage of strobes: brighter than wigwags, more customizable flash patterns, you can install 16 different strobe heads in your vehicle, and have 8 flash, then the other 8 flash, all in a syncronized motion.

disadvantage of strobes: more expensive, involves drilling additional holes in headlights, tough to undo.

hope this helps
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

I used to have wig-wags and switched to a strobe headlight system. If you just want to put strobes in your headlights, you can find some less expensive systems that have just a two outlet power supply. The main reason I switched was that I found wig-wags significantly reduced the life of the bulbes in the headlights. Each time the lights "flash" they are turned on and off. The increased heating and cooling of the tungsten element in the headlamp reduces its effective life.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

I am with SS on this. Strobes in the head lights are very hard ot see when the lights are on. I was going to do it too, but was convinced by the police officer installing the lights not too. I Did place 4 strobe in the tail lights. One in the each brake and one in each reverse light. Love them there.

On the matter of wig wags I have and love them too. But I also have grill strobes and one dash light on the front. Like DrP siad wig wags might be illegal in your state for FF. So check first befor eyou place them in.
    Thanks
    DM

MembersZone Subscriber

The difference between strobes and wig-wags is directly proportionate to the number of pagers and Fire Department Shirts the whacker owns.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by TillerMan25
    The difference between strobes and wig-wags is directly proportionate to the number of pagers and Fire Department Shirts the whacker owns.

Forum Member

if your trying to decide on which to get, dont waste your money on the wig wags. and if your looking for something a little more concealed then a dash light (reccomened way to go) then go and get some grill mount strobes or if your sure that you want something in a housing then get the hideaway strobes, much more noticeable then the wig wags as wig wags are only as bright as your headlights, and god knows half the people never see them anyway. Not to mention you cant use wig wags at night, for the argument of putting strobes in headlights and not being able to see them i would listen to that because its 100% true, as i have some there for my car shows only. otherwise you may or may not be able to do this: put them in the turn signal housing, if you have a clear housing. then when you turn your headlights on the strobes are still visble. Galls sells the hideaway strobes, and they are the same quality that law enforcement uses so you can bet your *** their gonna be bright.

Forum Member

Originally posted by TillerMan25
    don't mind tiller, he's just jelous that his dept won't let him put strobes in his truck. in fact, I bet he dreams about driving around in that ultimate volunteer pickup truck that visits this site every couple of monthes...

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

I have both, my strobes are mounted in the clear turn sgnal housings and give a good bit of light the sides as well as the front. The Wig Wags are good for use in the daytime when the light kinda "drowns out"
    the strobes.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

I am with ya DrP.

Hey I run light just for the Safety of it. I Vol in a very hilly curvy county and the lights help trust me.
    Thanks
    DM

Forum Member

Whoever said you cant us wig-wags at night, why do you say that? They are used quite often at night... I would go with wig-wags in the head lamps and strobes or LED everywhere else. Wig wag gets you the most noticed from the front, especially during the day...
    Rescue
    Eat, Sleep,
    Repeat

Forum Member

Originally posted by FF2303
    Whoever said you cant us wig-wags at night, why do you say that?
    for wig wags to work, your left headlight flashes, then your right headlight flashes. then your lefts ones goes on and off, then the right one goes on and then off. as one goes on, the other goes off, and the cycle continues. that's how wigwags work.

ok, so now your driving down the road, with no street lights, at 2 am and your left headlight is going on and off, then your right one is going on and off, etc. could you see why this might impair your driving? or why it would make it hard for another car to make our your cars width (as on a two lane road) when coming from the opposite direction?

see the problem now?

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

he's just jelous that his dept won't let him put strobes in his truck.
    Sure, I went out and bought a luxury sedan just so I could put strobe lights in the grill. Damn those state laws....

Forget that ultimate Volunteer Pickup, I prefer my Seagrave 100'Rearmount. It's faster, has more lights and sirens, carries more people and ACTUALLY SERVES A PURPOSE!
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

Originally posted by DrParasite
    for wig wags to work, your left headlight flashes, then your right headlight flashes. then your lefts ones goes on and off, then the right one goes on and then off. as one goes on, the other goes off, and the cycle continues. that's how wigwags work.

ok, so now your driving down the road, with no street lights, at 2 am and your left headlight is going on and off, then your right one is going on and off, etc. could you see why this might impair your driving? or why it would make it hard for another car to make our your cars width (as on a two lane road) when coming from the opposite direction?

see the problem now?
    In a properly set up wig-wag system, only the highbeams shut on and off, your low beams can/should be able to be turned on as a constant. Since you should only be useing your high beams when no on-coming traffic is present, there should be no problem at all.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    In a properly set up wig-wag system, only the highbeams shut on and off, your low beams can/should be able to be turned on as a constant. Since you should only be useing your high beams when no on-coming traffic is present, there should be no problem at all.
    To take this one step further, if you have them set up properly, when you activate your "high beams" it should override the wig-wag and give you full high beam lighting. When you disengage the high beams, the head lights return to the wig-wag flash.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Originally posted by MetalMedic

To take this one step further, if you have them set up properly, when you activate your "high beams" it should override the wig-wag and give you full high beam lighting. When you disengage the high beams, the head lights return to the wig-wag flash.
    Yup, which is fine, since you you should not need the wig-wags when you have no cars in front of you, and should turn your high beams off when someone is in front of you.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

or you could just not worry about any of that and get strobes

hi,
    don't waste you're money on strobes of any type or brand. go with the headlight wig-wags they are the most effective system that you can buy and they can be seen, unlike invisastrobes.Can i borrow a flashlight to see if the strobes are working.
    check the price of replacement strobe tubes

check out the led lights at rim industries, they have several options to choose from and for the money they cant be beat and you can be seen. strobes are an endangered species, hi-price - low value
    and they are not much better than a red rag over a flashlihgt.

Forum Member

Wig-Waging high beams are far more effective than any strobe or LED you can put in your grill or on your dash. Period. However, they can not be the sole warning device in a proper setup on any vehicle. You need the colored warning lights to be legitimate. Strobes can be placed on the dash, in the grill, in the corner lights, in the tail lights, reverse lights, rear window deck, etc. LED's can be place in the same places except inside existing lights.

There are some vehicles where installing wig-wags on the high beams is just not practical due to the way the car is wired from the factory. In these cases, they do make additional halogen bulbs that can pop into the headlight assembly light hide-away strobes and will do the same thing. They work quite well when done properly. This of course is a assuming the headlight assembly allows this. You might just be screwed and will have to go all out with other devices elsewhere.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

nmfire:
    Isn't it true that if you have HIDs, that they don't hold up well to wig-wags?

Forum Member

While I've never even tried or researched wig-wags on HID's, based on what I do know about that kind of lighting technology, it will not work.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

if i were you i wouldnt be screwing around with an HID system or let any company for that matter. a $3,000 headlight system is not something i see worth messing around with. oh and most led's are brighter then headlights now as well. they dont even remotley get drowned out during the day.

Thread Information