Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question SCBA Specs -- Who Pays?

As of today, my department has officially replaced a mis-matched inventory of MSA and Survivair SCBAs with all new Scott Air-Pak® Fiftys. Along with them came prescription lens kits for all of us who have less than perfect vision.

When asked if the department will pay to have our prescription lenses cut for our facepieces... the chief told us that we were on our own because, "some people wear contacts," implying that not everyone -- including those with vision issues -- needed the lens kits.

Is this legit? Some say that his comments make sense. Others insist that the department should provide everything relating to protective equipment -- especially SCBA -- and including our prescription lenses. How does it work in your department? Is there some legal regulation that would provide us direction on this issue? (We're not an OSHA state, if that's what you were wondering.)

Talking Oops, I posted again.

I started this thread when my first search turned up no other threads -- even though I knew they existed. I've since used a few other search terms and found the thread I was looking for...

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...s&pagenumber=1

Of course, it's been a while since we've hashed this topic out. Have there been any changes? Is there something special you do in your department worth sharing? Certainly, we need our ducks in a row if we're to ask the department to pay for lenses.

Thread Information