Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber FireCritic's Avatar

Default Don't get caught with your pants down

While I don't agree with this trend, I do not think that the lawmakers should waste our time and our money on this in their agenda. What about when they are in the nursing home and their pants are hanging off of there butt, will they be arrested.

----sorry I meant to post this in the off-duty discussion-----

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Don't get caught with your pants down

The House of Delegates finds a way to tighten their belts and make a fashion statement at the same time. Your thoughts?

By Pete Dybdahl
    981-3340
    The Roanoke Times
    e-mail this story

Fashion trends come and go, but Pete Reeves of Roanoke insists, "Baggy pants are here to stay." Given the way Reeves and his friends wear their trousers - loose and low - it is unlikely he means stay at the waist.

Under a bill that passed the Virginia House of Delegates on Tuesday, Reeves may want to reconsider that trend in favor of pants with a snugger fit.

Dubbed the "Droopy Drawers" bill, the proposed law - which passed the House on a 60-34 vote - would fine anyone who "intentionally wears and displays his below-waist undergarments" in public. People who wear baggy pants and low-rise jeans, both popular styles with teenagers, would be the bill's likely targets.

Del. Algie Howell, D-Norfolk, the bill's sponsor, has said the legislation comes in response to constituents who find exposed underwear offensive. But valleywide, Virginians gave annoyed, and often apprehensive, responses to the legislation Wednesday.

At Rave, a clothing store at Valley View Mall in Roanoke that sells primarily to young women, the possible restriction riled employees.

"Why's it anybody's business how you wear your pants as long as it's not indecent exposure?" said employee RaeLea Wimmer. Her co-worker, Andrea Cuzmar, wondered about the bill's specifics. "If I'm walking and happen to have a thong string hanging out, I could get the fine?" Cuzmar asked.

Walking home from William Fleming High School, sophomore Anthony Rich sensed a cultural bias. "To us, sagging is the same as how you wear your pants," he said.

Sgt. Craig Harris of the Vinton Police Department felt hesitant about citing "Droopy Drawers" violations. "What officer wants to be the first one to bring that to court anyway?" said Harris, who suggested schools could dole out penalties more effectively. "Do we have anything else we can spend our time looking at?"

Running just under 50 words, the bill has concerned some over potential ambiguities in its interpretation.

Samuel Wilson of Roanoke called it "another reason to cause trouble." Though most young men sag their pants, Wilson said, enforcement could be unevenly applied.

Others doubted it would be applied at all. "I don't believe that that bill is going to advance very far simply because it's going to be relatively unenforceable," said Roanoke Commonwealth's Attorney Don Caldwell. "So I think it is highly improbable that that bill becomes law during the course of this General Assembly."

Similarly, Kent Willis, executive
    director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia, thought the bill crossed constitutional boundaries. "If this is a trend, then legislators will have to pass numerous bills every year to keep up with the latest fashions that they find offensive," Willis said.

Kelvin Coffey, fashion editor for XXL, a New York-based urban lifestyle magazine, said legislation would have little effect on style choices. "You're just representing where you're from."

And as for the ladies' low-slung jeans, Coffey said, "I think that's a sexy look, I'm not going to lie. I can't see a guy arguing with that even if he's in the state government."

Though Howell, who has received attention from news sources around the world this week, could not be reached for comment, the bill found some local support, even in unlikely places.

"There's a place to be provocative and a place to be adult, civil," said Randi Chernitzer of Norfolk, whose 19-year-old son wears his pants on the low side but always with a belt. "We're not fuddy-duddies," said Chernitzer, who was dining with a friend at Valley View Mall. "But we're not to the place where we think this is fashionable."

While the bill specifically cites intentional displays of underwear, some think that exceptions should be made for inadvertent displays.

But not James Franklin, a plumber with Rooter Out Sewer & Drain Service in Roanoke, who said lots of kids wear pants low, but neither he nor his co-workers do.

"I think they should go and pass it," Franklin said.

HOUSE BILL NO. 1981

AMENDMENT IN THE NATURE OF A SUBSTITUTE

(Proposed by the House Committee for Courts of Justice

on February 4, 2005)

(Patron Prior to Substitute--Delegate Howell, A.T.)

A BILL to amend the Code of Virginia by adding a section numbered 18.2-387.1, relating to indecent display of below-waist undergarments.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding a section numbered 18.2-387.1 as follows:

§ 18.2-387.1. Indecent display of underwear.

Any person who, while in a public place, intentionally wears and displays his below-waist undergarments, intended to cover a person's intimate parts, in a lewd or indecent manner, shall be subject to a civil penalty of no more than $50. "Intimate parts" has the same meaning as in § 18.2-67.10.

It's about time. I like to be able to breathe down there, but there is no reason for people to have their pants down to there knees. It's disgusting! I don't see how it is so cool to have your @ss hangning out of your pants.
    Remembering those who died on September 11, 2001.

Visit me
    http://s2.forumforfree.com/?mforum=fireexplorers

Forum Member

Thumbs down

It's absolutely unbelievable that our lawmakers are wasting one minute of time on this...and now I'm wasting a minute on this too...ridiculous

Forum Member

I WOULD HATE TO BE A PLUMBER IN THAT STATE!

Doesnt this go against some freedom of rights bills or that thing thingy the constitution. Hmm communism! If people have a problem with the way kids dress - then maybe the parents should do something about it!
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Originally posted by Dave404
    I WOULD HATE TO BE A PLUMBER IN THAT STATE!

Doesnt this go against some freedom of rights bills or that thing thingy the constitution. Hmm communism! If people have a problem with the way kids dress - then maybe the parents should do something about it!
    Not communism, just more of the BS from the religeous right. Another example of how they are the greatest threat to the freedoms you now enjoy in this country.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

yep. Saw this yesterday over in the forums at Atheist Network where we've been discussing it.
    http://www.atheistnetwork.com/viewtopic.php?t=5211
    Lawmakers wasting taxpayers time and money. Again.

It should only be a crime if the kids aren't wearing clean underwear!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Or milkbone underwear...

God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

All I gotta say is Virginia Pull up your Pants.
    Last edited by Truck106; 02-11-2005 at 12:00 AM.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Maybe they'll try this next.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

They tried that bill last year in Louisiana but it didn't get anywhere ... guess it got hung up on the question of how much crack is too much crack .....

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

The solution to this is right under our noses. All we have to do is all start wearing the same crap. As soon as the little hip hop thugs start seeing us old farts trying to be down with their look, it won't be cool anymore and they'll find something else to wear.
    Of course, it might be something even worse, but at least it'll be a change.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

The bill was killed in committee yesterday, thank god. It's amazing how much publicity it got considering it never made it to the floor. (This is per Richmond local news)

Forum Member

Nice priorities these politicians have...obviously they feel it's more important to spend taxpayers time & money to worry about meaningful issues like being sure you can't see Suzie Q's thong rather than fund fire departments for vital equipment to protect the citizens that pay their self inflated salaries. It's a damn shame that depts. have to bust their @#$ holding clam bakes, car washes, etc. to buy basic equipment while these political fatcats waste time & money "discussing" issues as important as some kid's boxer shorts sticking outta his pants.

Just my 2 cents..rant off..have a good weekend and stay safe...oh yeah, and keep your pants up!!!

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Another great idea...maybe when we retire a set of turnout gear we can donate the suspenders to these poor, unfortunate kids who don't seem to own (or know how to use) a belt.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Arrow simple solution

Just tell them where the trend started and what it means.

Default Re: simple solution

Originally posted by ffexpCP
    Just tell them where the trend started and what it means.

I really doubt kids would care...bet if more parents realized they'd refuse to buy their kids clothes that are 10 sizes too big though...
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

The trend started in the '80s when little gangsters and gangster wannbes started sporting the way they saw their homies on visiting day at the West Coast jails and prisons. The ones who had been locked up for awhile had been working out and eating in the mess halls which caused them to loose weight. Their prison issue jeans would start to sag and low ride after a few weeks behind bars. After a few months in lockup these gangsters would be released much leaner and buffed than when they went in. All of the clothes they owned now fit like the ones that they had been issued on arriving in jail. LOOSE.
    So these baggy pants wearing gangbangers were seen as hardened thugs who had done time and earned respect. It wouldn't take long before the people on the streets who looked up to the gangsters started buying clothes in larger sizes to match the look of those they wanted to be like. Gangsta chic soon spread across the nation and now, everywhere you look, boxer shorts are prowdly displayed by thugs wearing their jeans all the way down the back of their thighs.

Forum Member

Crack kills.

The story I've heard is the same as cellblock's but rather than loosing weight, it was more of an ummm... advertisement.

Thread Information