Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Scott Eagle Imager problems

Our department has three Scott eagle thermal imagers presently in service, the oldest one is about 5 years old, the second 4, and the third one 3 years. The oldest imager has 15hrs +- on it, most of the use has been in training. They are kept in their cases and are checked for operation weekly.
    Our problem is that the oldest camera has been in to the authorized repair center twice, at present it is still there.
    The problem this time is that the main board has been "destroyed by heat" The unit was in the original case and mounted in the truck, hard wired in with the case mounted chargeing system. During the weekly check it was found to be very hot to the touch, was checked and found to be not working and removed from service. The second camera this week was found to have a problem with the display. The image display is fadeing in and out on a one second cycle, the image display is also "negitive imageing" or displaying the normal hot image as black, and cold as white. This imager has also been removed from service and sent to the repair center.
    Is this a common problem specific to Scott Eagle Imagers?, or has any other departments had the same type of problems whith yours.
    My concern is that our third and last imager left in service will not perform when needed. I have tried the search function on this form and found no information related to this. The Scott rep up to this point has not been very helpfull in reguards to how or why this happend, or willing to accept the cost or repairing the units.
    any ideas?

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Default Re: Scott Eagle Imager problems

Originally posted by aarel20
    Our department has three Scott eagle thermal imagers presently in service, the oldest one is about 5 years old, the second 4, and the third one 3 years. The oldest imager has 15hrs +- on it, most of the use has been in training. They are kept in their cases and are checked for operation weekly.
    Our problem is that the oldest camera has been in to the authorized repair center twice, at present it is still there.
    The problem this time is that the main board has been "destroyed by heat" The unit was in the original case and mounted in the truck, hard wired in with the case mounted chargeing system. During the weekly check it was found to be very hot to the touch, was checked and found to be not working and removed from service. The second camera this week was found to have a problem with the display. The image display is fadeing in and out on a one second cycle, the image display is also "negitive imageing" or displaying the normal hot image as black, and cold as white. This imager has also been removed from service and sent to the repair center.
    Is this a common problem specific to Scott Eagle Imagers?, or has any other departments had the same type of problems whith yours.
    My concern is that our third and last imager left in service will not perform when needed. I have tried the search function on this form and found no information related to this. The Scott rep up to this point has not been very helpfull in reguards to how or why this happend, or willing to accept the cost or repairing the units.
    any ideas?

First...sometimes things break. Even the most durable TI can have problems; after all, nothing is firefighter proof. Rather than looking for whether this is common, I suggest trying to get more information from Scott.

What exactly went bad on the 1st 2 units? Why did they have this problem? Is there something your FD could do differently or better to prevent a reoccurence? Have they seen this in their repair center a lot? Have they determined the cause and implemented a change to prevent it? Can you get the new parts/system?

Just because something broke after 5 years does not mean that Scott should "accept the cost of repairing." Would you go to your local car dealer and ask him to repair your car at no cost when the CV joint breaks after 5 years? Of course not.

But, this does show how when you buy any piece of equipment, you buy the company that sells it (distributor) as well as the company that makes it. You don't buy just a tool; you buy a support system as well.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

Post up-date

On the first TI the main "module" or board was heated beyond repair for reasons still undetermined. Not from an external heat source. In conversations with the Scott rep we learned that the "module" has since been re-engineered, and can not be installed in our present TI. They would be willing to sell us an "old" module for our TI for half the cost of a new replacement TI. My concern with this is was the module re-engineer due to a flaw, or advancement in technology. Will this problem apear again with the new "old" board installed as they dont know the cause.

Mainly just inquiring if this problem has occured in TI that have been used far more than ours. The distributor has not had one fail like this, that they can recall.

I have not heard back on the second TI yet, will keep you posted.

firemanjb, you are absolutly correct in your buying a company, service, and product support, our distributor has kept us in the info loop, they in fact may "eat" the cost or the repair if Scott will not. It does not get much better than that.

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Default Re: up-date

Originally posted by aarel20
    On the first TI the main "module" or board was heated beyond repair for reasons still undetermined. Not from an external heat source. In conversations with the Scott rep we learned that the "module" has since been re-engineered, and can not be installed in our present TI. They would be willing to sell us an "old" module for our TI for half the cost of a new replacement TI. My concern with this is was the module re-engineer due to a flaw, or advancement in technology. Will this problem apear again with the new "old" board installed as they dont know the cause.
    I've never heard of heat damage from unknown causes. I've heard of unknown electrical problems (a board or circuit just stops), but never unknown heat.

It sounds like they may be talking about the "engine" or "core". In a 5-year-old TI, there may be an issue with updates. If you have a Scott Eagle 1 (with the tilting screen), this is a BST camera. The core comes from Raytheon as a single component. They no longer make the 300A core, which is likely what is in there. They only make the 300D core. If your 300A is damaged, the only option is to upgrade it to a 300D. And obviously, upgrades aren't cheap.

If it is not the core, but the power management board, then that is a part Scott designed and sourced. They should have a plan for installing it on older TIs, even if it is a new part. After all, it's not your fault they engineered it differently. Expect to pay SOMETHING for the repairs, but be honest in how much Scott should discount it. Again, it is 5 years old...nothing lasts forever.

But do ask what you can do to prevent other problems...if they give you a PM program and you follow and then there are problems, you can lean on them harder.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

Angry update

We heard back today from the repair shop, the second TI has a bad core. Firemanjb, you are correct, the cores on both the first, and second TI are the earlier version. Our third TI has the up-dated core in it so it should not have the same FATAL flaw.

Attention depts that use a Scott Eagle TI, check with your dealer using the serial number on your TI to verify that it has the up-dated core.

We are now the proud owners of 2 10,000$ wheel chocks. I still hold out hope that Scott will step up to the plate.

time will tell.

Thread Information