MembersZone Subscriber

Default Denver Fire Department

Hey everyone, I'm new here. A little background- 20 years old enrolled in a Firefighter 1 Academy and EMT course with intentions of becoming a career firefighter out here in Colorado... just wondering if anyone has had any experience with testing/hiring with Denver Fire or any of the other local departments? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I've applied to a few departments and have some limited information on a few others. Throw me some questions and I'll try to answer them or point you to somewhere that has the answer. Have a great day.

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a heads up if your interested. West Metro is in the hiring process right now. You can log on to their web sit and get more info.
    http://www.westmetrofire.org/
    Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Eric, which departments have you applied to? Would you say its pretty competitive out here? I mean, i know its competitive everywhere no matter what. Did you take the DRCOG test, i know something like 11-12 Denver metro area departments hire from that. Do you know if most of the departments usually test and hire annually, or does it just depend? Anyways, thanks alot for the help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello,

which departments have you applied to?
    South Metro, West Metro, Poudre Fire Authority, Colorado Springs

Would you say its pretty competitive out here?
    It's all relative. Yes, it is competitive, but it is not insane numbers like LA City that just had like tens of thousands of applicants. Typically, you will be competing against 25-150 applicants (ballpark figures) for each spot.

I mean, i know its competitive everywhere no matter what.
    Exactly

Did you take the DRCOG test,
    Taking it Monday. It is a ridiculously stupid test, but the only way to apply to the departments whom use it.

Do you know if most of the departments usually test and hire annually, or does it just depend?
    It depends. Some hire every two years, some every year, some continously, some as needed. Give me a department and I can be more specific.

Eric
    Last edited by EricCSU; 02-10-2005 at 09:51 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Give me a department and I can be more specific."

How about West Metro, how often they hire, would you know? Also, Denver. I know that they are starting their testing process in July, i wonder if they actively recruit annually or so? Also, do you know anything about some of the smaller career departments in the Denver area like Cunningham FPD in Arapahoe County or Southwest Adams County Fire Department? I'd like to test with Poudre Fire Authority but i dont have 60 semester hours, same goes for Aurora and a few others. How about Union Colony in Greely, know anything about them? Ha sorry if im asking so much, just really interested and im gonna get the ball rolling as soon as i can. thanks alot

MembersZone Subscriber

How about West Metro, how often they hire, would you know?
    West Metro is bound by the Civil Service to have an application process once every two years, or sooner if their current hiring list is exhausted. Tommorow is the last day to get an application. If you're from out of state, you might be out of luck.

Also, Denver. I know that they are starting their testing process in July, i wonder if they actively recruit annually or so?
    They basically recruit continously. They are definitely hurting for guys, but I'm not sure if they have been given enough money from the city to hire as many as they want (I've heard that they need 100-150, but that's just speculation).

Also, do you know anything about some of the smaller career departments in the Denver area like Cunningham FPD in Arapahoe County or Southwest Adams County Fire Department?
    No, sorry.

I'd like to test with Poudre Fire Authority but i dont have 60 semester hours, same goes for Aurora and a few others.
    Unfortunately, the biggest reason they do it is to reduce applications.

How about Union Colony in Greely, know anything about them?
    A little bit. They are doing a joint hiring with Poudre, might be too late for you, not sure. They require firefighters to stay for 5 years, or repay the cost of their training. Not such a big deal, but a dealbreaker if you don't like Greeley (as I do).

Ha sorry if im asking so much, just really interested and im gonna get the ball rolling as soon as i can. thanks alot
    Not a problem, a good diversion from homework. Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks again. Interesting info, didnt know that about Union Colony....Denver is my first goal, I'd love to get on with them. How about volunteering in the area, do you recommend it? I know it might not make a difference in being hired, but i wanna get out there and learn as much as i can while im trying to get on someplace. Right now I'm getting ready to start the FF1 Academy that Federal Heights FD holds up in north Denver, know anything about it? Anyways, thanks again for taking the time to help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry, had to drive for an ambulance call.

Don't really know much about Federal Heights. I do know that Arvada and North Washington provide a similar setup where they provide FFI to applicants. I would highly recommend volunteering, especially when you keep in mind that it will not necessarily get you a job (except in places that only hire volunteers). Departments that I know of that have volunteers:

Castle Rock*
    Arvada*
    North Washington
    Federal Heights
    Sheridan
    West Metro (only for one station, and you have to live in that first due)
    Brighton
    Berthoud
    Boulder Rural
    Elizabeth
    Wheatridge
    Loveland

The first two only hire volunteers. This is not an exhaustive list, I'm sure there are more in the area...I just can't think of any more. If you type in "colorado fire departments" in google, you'll get websites that have links to every department. Good Luck. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with the volunteer idea it does help from an background sense. Cunningham fire just finished their spring hiring process and may open up applications again in the fall. West Metro's application period is closed but Grand Junction may doing something. Hope this helps

hey, i've been trying to get hired in denver for two years now!! taken DRCOG three times, got a 72 first time, 84 the second and a 92 on the third. After the third time i got letters from about 10 or so departments to test. Most test were pretty much the same. Made it to two hiring lists but didnt get hired. Some i've tested with: north washington, north metro, west metro, westminster, denver, longmount ect. West metro is a great department (did my paramedic internship there) but has the toughest physical around (harder than CPAT), many that hire off of DRCOG are good also. Denver is tough, i have several friends from my department(Lockheed martin-private fire department) that got on. They were young (18) it seems as though denver is looking for the perfect person. I also did the Federal Heights Fire academy. I didnt find it very useful but it qualifies you around denver. I've run into problems applying out of state (California, wisconsin, illinois) in that most departments want a 440 hour acamedy. The Fed heights one is 260. I've been elimenated from several lists soley based on this. anyways i've decided to move. I made it to the final 26 with westminster fire and didnt get on. It was a big blow because in two years that was as close as i came. I've given up in denver but will continue to test wherever i move (chicago or madison Wisconsin). Good luck to you, test everywhere and dont get too caught up with denver, thousands apply and few get it.

sorry one more thing. If you need a job and have FF1, EMT and Haz mat ops (Can get after hired) Lockheed martin is always hiring. Great benefits (FUll med, dental and vision), start at about $16/hr with auto pay raises (every 3 months) up to $20. If you work your seventh day you get double time and if you work holidays you get triple! Its pretty boring (not much action) but you can make more there than with a private ambulance and still get experience. The only negative is management is unsupportive and the hours are long as they run it military style ie they can order you to work 16 hr days seven days a week with no previous notice ie one minute before you are set to leave. hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Questions

Westmetrofire-
    I read on the website that West Metro is not hiring any additional line personnel for this year due to the budget. Does that mean that personnel will be hired to cover attrition or that there is a hiring freeze for this year? Thanks

jhoefen-
    Sorry to hear about your troubles in getting hired. Ever considered oral board coaching? I've heard that it can be very helpful, especially if you are as qualified as you are. I do have those qualifications and your post spurred my interest. I have a few questions about Lockheed Martin though:

1. What is a normal work schedule?
    2. What is a normal day of work like?
    3. Are they ok with the fact that you want to become a paid firefighter and just use the job as a stepping stone? e.g. did you include that in your interview when you asked?
    4. How far is the plant from downtown denver?
    5. How do you like working there? (you can send me a private message if you'd like for this one)

Thanks

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is the Denver website.
    It should take you to the Fire Recruitment link.
    Good luck !
    KD.

http://www.denvergov.org/Recruit/template21749.asp

Thread Information