Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seat Update #2

Forum Member

Default Seat Update #2

Greetings to all. I have done alot of research in to the GMC seat frame over the last several days. The seat frame is not made from Titanium as earlier thought. It is made from MARTENSITIC STAINLESS STEEL. This steel is a straight chromium steel with no nikel. The seat frames are manufactered by LEAR(the jet company), or a division of LEAR. The reason a hydraulic cutter would not cut through the seat frame is due to its hardness. The Martensitic steel used by GM is Type 410. This steel has a Rockwell Hardness rated at C-45. Every person I have contacted about this material states that the ONLY way it can be cut is with the use of an abrasive blade in a saw of some form. This blade does not truly cut the metal, it "files" its way through. I have also been told that this is a slooowwww process. I have called many recip. saw blade makers that state they have abrasive blades, but, the aren't sure their blades will cut the metal due to its hardness.

I wanted to passs this info on to all to make everyone aware of what we are dealing with.

Also, as if things can't get worse, I noticed today that one of my guys here at the station, has a 2000 model Dodge 2500 pickup with the seatbelt mounted in the seat. I am not sure that the same material is used in the Dodge as GM models, but it stands to reason, it very well may be the same type steel.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

alcatrazlt, Thanks for doing the research on the seatbacks. My info came via a very trusted gargage mechanic that thought it might have been titanium. Either way looks like we're screwed again. I'm familiar with the process of martinizing steel. It completely changes the structure of the material as well as the hardness! Tough Stuff! Let me know when you invent something that will make our job easier.
    Stay Safe.

Forum Member

I have one ...................it's called the Plasma Cutter. That's pronounced (plazzzzzz-maaaaaaaaa). Also known as the forth form of matter. However, this device has been known to accidently start a fire in the process of cutting a seat frame in GMC model pickups equipped with marensitic steel seat frames during the process of patient extrication. At times this has produced unfavorable results.

So......at this point, we revert back to square one!

Don't worry.............bleeding is just the beginning of the healing process.

Thread Information