Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Default One Piece Structure Fire Jumpsuit?

Is there such a thing that complies to US regs?

I have seen them used with non US fire Services, are there any that are used in the US?

Thanks
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

I found a jumpsuit on fire-end.com made of PBI heres the link.

http://www.fire-end.com/Navy-Guard1.html

Not sure if I would wear a jumpsuit though, might be too restrictive, the freedom of the jacket moving and pant moving in regular turnout gear is too comfortable.

Beau

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Thanks Beau.

I agree that a one piece is probly not as good as the two piece. The question came up in a discussion we were having in regaurds to our wildland ppe.

We used to have oncepiece wildland/extractaion jumpsuites, nobody complained or knew any better.

We got a small grant and switched over to 2 piece advance wildland gear. Much much better. The 2 piece breaths better and such.

We then got to wondering if anybody used a one piece structure PPE???

I guess so, but I dont think they are very popular at all.

Thanks
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

Seem to remember there was a vendor (one of those smaller co's) in the mid 90's that offered a one piece structural FF'ing jumpsuit. It was made of Nomex, had some pockets & reflective trim...don't think they ever sold any, at least not for structural work.

Bad thing with a jumpsuit is heat tends to get trapped in the garment...now this happens with bunker gear too but at least you can take off the coat to release some of the heat. The reality is when you send a person into an atmosphere that's 500+ degrees, they are going to suffer heat stress no matter what their level of physical conditioning.

Just my 2 cents...Stay Safe...

MembersZone Subscriber

One of our Neighboring departments, their Chief wears one. They also have those fighter pilot helmets too. Talk about a funny sight. When we call the for mutual aid, its like NASA came instead. Too funny.

Default I think...

I think the one piece came and left with the safety-lime
    -yellow fire trucks.

I also recall seeing them but cant recall the maker .........it is weird that the 2 piece esemble we think of as safer then the jumpsuit .....know what? I agree and dont really know why ...
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

The navy uses them, the ones that they have are from Janesville and I think also from Globe

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I recall a neighboring department using them a few years ago (mid 90's, maybe). At first we thought it was pretty cool, you could get dressed out quicker. But then thinking about it, it's hard to cool down and rehab because you can't just take off your coat. Seems like some restriction in mobility as well. I don't think we'd care for them, and I don't know if they're still available. I also seem to recall that the neighboring department that had them discovered that they didn't like them much either.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Question...most people have brought up about taking off your coat with a two piece system being an advantage to rehab and the like. This isn't directly relevent but when I go deer hunting I have a one piece snowsuit...what I do if I get too warm is I take my arms out of the snowsuit and tie the sleeves around my waist. What is preventing someone in a jumpsuit from doing this. One step furthur on that is if your in rehab your not goin anywhere fast, so why not just take the jump suit down to your knees?

Forum Member

Hm..I think those Jumpsuit style turnouts were called "Vestal suits" after Vestal, NY? Maybe someone from that neck of the woods could enlighten us or find out from a Vestalite what the skinny is.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

I have a couple sets of these. A local industrial fire brigade had some that they ordered and never used them. I won't use them for firefighting, because the fit isn't the best, but they're good for cold weather stuff. Shovelling snow, snowmobiling, etc....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

The Navy still uses these. they are so freekin hot its not even funny. Navy still uses OBA's to so go figure!
    Gravity, not just a good idea....
    Its THE LAW!

Sanity is not statistical.

Forum Member

Ya I know the Navy still uses OBA's but they are proven to work for shipboard use and they tend to be safer in a combat enviorment than a Scott or Msa system. I know that when something happens in that enviorment the last thing I want to have to worry about is the small rocket motor attached to my back or sitting in a DC locker or even in the passageways of the ship. Most of the ships have went to eather MSA or Scott depending on who has the current contract with the D.O.N. 1 of the main reasons that they use the one peace jumpsuits is so that you can get into the escape scuttles with out the jacket part comming up and leaving you open to getting burns on your back and chest. And back to the OBA issue you can get through a scuttle with an OBA but you can't with a Scott or MSA pack on. You have to take it off and then go through.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Yep...I bought one back in the 90's and thought that this was the best thing ever made. Boy was I wrong!!! When the suit gets wet all the weight rest on your shoulders and the fatigue factor is tremendous. I currently only use it for training exercises (maybe). It is made to NFPA specs and is approved for structural firefighting.

As for removing the upper half during rehab it can be accomplished by allowing the upper half to hang from the waist. When you want to get out of the suit it sometimes requires 2 people to remove it (the more sweat the more difficult to remove). Not worth a flip for overhaul. Still recommend the traditional two piece ensamble for firefighting.

Default I liked them

I used them during shipboard training in Newport R.I. “No I am not in the NAVY nor was I” I liked the one piece. It does the job and is about as 1 size fits all as you can get for fire gear. Remember on a ship. You have hundreds if not thousands of moderately to expertly trained people on ship that are trained in Fire Suppression. Most have other jobs then Fire Fighting. These teams may be headed to there staging points from all over the ship. So having Gumby suits is much more practical then having custom made form fitted gear.
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

Thread Information