Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Default Spanish High Rise Fire

BBC Link

Sections of a well-known Madrid office building 32 storeys high collapsed on Sunday morning after a fire raged through the upper floors.

No one is believed to have been inside the building when the fire started and the cause has not yet been determined.

Large pieces of the Windsor Building plunged to the ground as the blaze destroyed its top floors, sending columns of black smoke into the night.

Nearby bars, nightclubs and blocks of flats were evacuated.

Spanish television channels interrupted their normal programming to broadcast the dramatic pictures.

A spokesman for the fire services said the building in the business heart of Madrid was empty when the fire started.

He said no civilians had been injured, but three firemen were being treated for smoke inhalation.

Short-circuit theory

Spanish media said the fire appeared to have been an accident.

But Madrid Mayor Alberto Ruiz Gallardon, speaking from the scene of the blaze, was reluctant to speculate:

"All I can say for sure is that the fire started on the 21st or the 22nd floor of the building and that it was empty at the time.

"It's been suggested that the blaze may have been caused by a short-circuit, but I can't confirm any speculation at the moment."

Mr Gallardon said it was impossible for the fire services to put out the fire in the building itself and that there were grave doubts that the concrete skeleton of the office building would hold.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber StLRes2cue's Avatar

Keep us posted...would like to see the picture if any surface.

Wow! I can think of a couple times that could have happened in this country, other than 9/11 (Philly, LA). We've been lucky
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Keep us posted...would like to see the picture if any surface.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...7&sectionId=45

there ya go.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Holy Shizzle!

A few things come to mind here.

1. How in gods name did this happen with sprinklers and alarms? Is there some guy who was thinking to himself on the way home "I wonder if I remembered to open the valves and take the alarm out of test?"

2. Seeing pictures of these poor guys with master streams off the ladder trucks seems like an exercise in futility. I mean, it seems like this is just sucking people's toilets dry and turning the water into steam long before it ever hits the building. Hell, even if it did reach the building, is hitting the outskirts of the bottom of an 11 floor fire going to accomplish anything?

Once again, Wow!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

nmfire,
    the Building was under re-construction and I'm not even sure the Spanish have Sprinklers in a Building that was Built in 1979...

Most of the High Rises and lower Buildings with a large floor space in London are what we call 'Section 20' Buildings (Section 20 of the Greater London Powers Act)... they have to be sprinklered. Even so I know of a 35 storey Building in London Built in the early 60's that isn't sprinklered.

The Master Stream may have been a publicity exercise...to be seen to be doing something... I am aware having seen it on TV that they announced that after a while the Firefighters gave up the battle and concentrated on protecting surrounding risks.

Basically, as we all know, get a significant fire in a High Rise Building that isn't sprinklered, out of the reach of External Hose Streams and you cannot fight it.

In a Building with a floor space of 10,000 sq ft in a 100 x 100 Building, using the Iowa Formula this requires 1000 GPM, using the one we use; Floor area in meters x4 = Litres per minute = 3720 lpm or 900GPM.

Whatever way it is going to be almost impossible to control one whole floor alight from the inside, you may as well forget it when it starts jumping floors.

This happenned to us in July 2003, fortunately it was only a 'Small' 12 storey Building, but it had gone from 7 to 11 by the time we held it...event then it was only because we had 4 Aerial Streams on it... if the Building had been taller and the fire 10 floors above and we'd have had a Madrid.

2003 London High Rise Fire
    Last edited by SteveDude; 02-13-2005 at 03:51 PM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Thankfully nobody was seriously injured/killed...
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber StLRes2cue's Avatar

Originally posted by tanker5117

there ya go.

WOW !

Thanks Tanker.

MembersZone Subscriber

They showed about 3 minutes of footage here last night at the end of the news, and it's certainly one of the most spectatular fires of recent years. That large construction crane looks ready to collapse at the top of the building. A fire raging through 20 stories of a highrise building is something that none of us would want to fight. Well done to the Madrid F.D. for successfully protecting exposures while the fire burnt itself out with only minimal minor firefighter injuries. I'm wondering if the sprinkler system might have been out of operation during the renovations?
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

This is the photo I'm trying to figure out:

Is that a fuel tanker? Hose looks flat like fire hose...

Is it a foam tanker?

Is it a water tanker, but Madrid must have a good enough water system...
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Is that a fuel tanker?
    It might be for fueling up the engines and ladders, but I didn't see any placards (don't know if Spain requires them).

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

No, that is a Water Tanker as it doesn't diplay the 'Hazmat' signs and the UN Number for vehicles carrying dangerous substances such as Fuel. These are required across Europe. The Tanker was almost certainly to boost water supplies.

Older European Cities are cursed with ancient Water infrastructre, that are run at low pressure to stop the whole things bursting all over the place...as a measure, any fire where we in London have more that about three to four two and a half lines in use will require a Hose layer to lay to the nearest major water maain on a major road.

As for the sprinklers, a search on skyscrapers.com noted that the Building was definately under re-construction so these had obviously been removed/De-commissioned...I could not copy the image for legal reasons but the Building before the fire is pictured here
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Now thats a Fahhhhhre !great pics .........also suprised about the no deaths and also about all the damage ......good for reading later ....
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information