Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Gear Washing Machine

Does anybody have a recommendation on a washing machine for gear. I am looking into the purchase of one for the Fire Company. I don't believe we need an industrial model because we probably will only be washing 10 to 20 sets a year. I think that a heavy-duty front loading residential model would be fine. Thoughts? Comments?

MembersZone Subscriber

It may be more cost effective to send the gear out to get deconed and washed if you are washing that few ammount of sets a year.

David Larson

We have had a UniMac (? I think) for a few years now and have had no problems with it. Our gear gets washed every time its used in an actual fire or a training fire, plus a minimum of 2 times a year. My understanding is that it is an "extraction" type machine, which is a little different from a standard washer. It spins the gear at very high speed and once it is done it comes out just damp, not soaking wet.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Forum Member

We have an industrial extractor-washer in in our station, and it works great. I'd recommend going this route, even if you don't have occasion to wash gear often. And, we've found people wash their gear more often since we've provided them with an efficient and effective way to do it. As TCFD12 noted, you should be washing gear anytime it's been in a fire.

Forum Member

Jason, Extractor/washer's are great. However, they can be pretty expensive. Our's (UNI-MAC) ran about 8k installed about 5 years ago. The machine needs to be bolted down to the floor, you need proper drainage and probably a couple other station upgrades to handle it. The cost adds up quick. So as DT says, you may want to do some calculations and see which way to go ( $ vs $ ). Good luck.
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way.

Forum Member

We got ours through a grant. We should have spent the money on something else, but now that we have it, we use it after rendering care and getting blood all over it at accidents, or when ever you want to wash it. I swear it shrunk my pants though, everyone tells me that is impossible, but I certainly didn't grow a couple of inches overnight.

Thread Information