MembersZone Subscriber

Default Use of Explorers in Department

How does your department use the explorers and the post? How do you best utilize them and how would you like to see the post turn into in the future. Im am bringing this up to help brainstorm for the post im helping out with. We have just started back up the past few months and now trying to find a good direction to head in. Thanks for any input.

Our cadets are allowed to fight grass fires, respond to structure and vehicle firs and help with rehab. We get to participate in all of the training, except for going interior on live burns. Our department is volunteer, so the cadets dispatch.
    Remembering those who died on September 11, 2001.

Visit me
    http://s2.forumforfree.com/?mforum=fireexplorers

Forum Member

We are allowed to do rehab, exterior operations, and pretty much anything that needs to be done on the outside that the IC has ok'd. We also ride in parades, take BP at church 1 sunday a month(our Head advisor who is a LT on the dept. is a deacon), are on standby for fireworks, help at open house and give tours, participate in training, have explorer waterball and firefighting competitons.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Explorers in my department are not allowed to do anything except minor training

We are allowed to help out with medical aides by doing such things as getting a Iv ready, taking bp, hooking patients up to the moniter. We don't do much training as a group other than the first training week. We learn most of the stuff on ride-alongs. At meetings we mostly wash the engine and clean the station and learn things to do on ride-alongs

Forum Member

Our explorers/juniors can respond to calls, ride the trucks, train with the department weekly, and all that good stuff. They can choose to get w/e certifacations they wish as they go because that is what will get them to be allowed to do alot more tasks. As far as a fire call you cannot do interior and cannot be in the " hot zone " for haz mat incidents. But trust me it can be handy to have an explorer on board at a fire or accident... There is plenty to do. On the EMS calls if you have any certifications then your all set, otheriwse you mostly run for equipment and do some paper work. Most of the experience they will gain in this time is from making calls and learning what is done first hand, and the rest they learn from the department training. I almost forgot to add this: if you are trying to start an explorer or junior post another thing we have is a probationary packet where there are 30 requirements they need to learn and meet. When it is passed which has to be before your probationary period you all set to move up. (18 years old) That packet is a good guidline for the most important things they should know. Works real well............
    Last edited by FF2303; 02-21-2005 at 09:17 PM.
    Rescue
    Eat, Sleep,
    Repeat

Forum Member

here in lower mich. we are allowed to respond on all runs as long as they are in the curfew hrs. on structure fires we are NOT allowed to go in the buring building or climb a ground ladder higher than 35 feet. on mva's we cannot extericate (sp) the victim(s). and on medicals we cannot have direct patient care.

as for around the station we are expected to do every thing a ff would be asked to do.

we are allowed to ride out on the trucks with the ff's
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Permanently Removed

Default Explorers running at my station

Well, im the Junior Firefighter Captain/Explorer Firefighter Captain/Asst.Engineer for our new truck, anyway back to the subject at hand.

The Explorers at my station can run as long as they are back at the station 1 hour before curfew and cannot run calls if the call comes in within 45 min.s of the curvew however they can run any call EXCEPT Hazmat calls or calls during Severe Weather i.e tornado warnings and stuff. They can be at the station during the storm or hazmat call and assist other firefighters that are just getting off work and getting ready to head down to the call. Since i'm the explorer captain, i have only 4 explorers so every Tuesday I run a drill with them where equipmet is, how it runs, how to fuel them, put them back correctly stuff like that. But on the scene they CANNOT leave the truck unless told to by an officer. Usually I tell them to stay with the driver to assist him with equipment setup or equipment being taken off the truck so when everything's said and done, the driver knows what was taken off the truck. But off call wise. We are on standby at the place for fireworks where they are being displayed for emergency respone but the explorers can't go within 1000 Feet of the fireworks. They do parades,fireworks standby,tours, and the simple things around the station as well as working with me.

any questions or comments contact me on AOL Instant Messenger at Haveyougonemad29 or e-mail me at haveyougonemad29@comcast.net
    Last edited by AsstEngineer292; 03-09-2005 at 06:43 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, a Junior FF Captain....impressive..
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Permanently Removed

Well as of today I captain both juniors and explorers because i have had more than 10 years with the fire service. And the Chief has known me since i was 4 not only that but put me in a situation to see if i could handle it, I did so he gave me the permission to captain both because i show leadership,managerment,respect and safety. The situation was our SOGs state only 2 juniors and 1 explorer can ride the truck on a call, if there is enough room. Since im captain and if i have more than 2 of each, i have to pick who goes on what truck, so every other call i rotate'em. Just trying to get them familiar with both trucks and all the different calls the 2 trucks go on. Because 2923 does ALL CALLS and if they miss 2923, they can ride on 2924 our 79/91 fdny mack whihc is 2nd due on all calls.

any comments/suggestions/questions?

talk to me on AIM at Haveyougonemad29 or e-mail me at Haveyouognemad29@comcast.net

Forum Member

My Fire Department allows anyone in the program age (14-18) respond to any call that is not on our highway and that is not a fatal accident. Anyone over the age of 16 can ride the trucks to calls. However sometimes younger members sneak onto the trucks. We are allowed to put out brush fires as long as they do not require an S.C.B.A. We are allowed to train and have live burns using the S.C.B.A.'s (only in training sisutations). They are alot of fun. Then we get to do all the basic stuff like traffic control is the fire police are not dispatched or there are not enough... Hook up the hydrant and put up ground ladders. Also anyone over the age of 16 in my department can go as far as the front door. Then once the fire is out and if the building is safe then we get to go in and do salvage and overhaul which is fun because we get to learn everything and see what happened on the inside of the fire. We also get to assist the drivers and then when there are car accidents w/ fluids on the ground we usually get to do the wash down or speard speedy-dry.
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

Forum Member

My Fire Department allows anyone in the program age (14-18) respond to any call that is not on our highway and that is not a fatal accident. Anyone over the age of 16 can ride the trucks to calls. However sometimes younger members sneak onto the trucks. We are allowed to put out brush fires as long as they do not require an S.C.B.A. We are allowed to train and have live burns using the S.C.B.A.'s (only in training sisutations). They are alot of fun. Then we get to do all the basic stuff like traffic control is the fire police are not dispatched or there are not enough... Hook up the hydrant and put up ground ladders. Also anyone over the age of 16 in my department can go as far as the front door. Then once the fire is out and if the building is safe then we get to go in and do salvage and overhaul which is fun because we get to learn everything and see what happened on the inside of the fire. We also get to assist the drivers and then when there are car accidents w/ fluids on the ground we usually get to do the wash down or speard speedy-dry.
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

Forum Member

The only time the explorers are used is during fundraising and open houses.

I would like to see the department become more accepting of the program. At the very least I would like the explorers to be allowed to go to the station to help place the rigs back in service or help out with rehab at a scene. Iíve been around for six years now, nothing has changed yet, I donít expect it to either.

Thread Information