Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gut Belts

Forum Member

Default Gut Belts

Does anyone issue Gut/Ladder belts to their FF's or RIT teams. I just did a Saving Our Own class and the two instructors couldnt brag on these things enough. They just thought they were the best thing since sliced bread.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

my paid dept issues them to all firefighters. They are equipped with bale out bags also. I bought my own for my Volly dept. I have gotten so used to wearing it and have had no problems with it getting tangled. Some people complain of that problem.
    Lilyogi

Default gut belt

hey brother
    i use a gut belt myself(class 1 rating)but will be switching to a seat harness by yates for the class 2 rating and because my co. runs fast/rit to the surrounding departments. the gut belt is made from heavy webing and the yates class 1 kevlar. the gut belt originally was not ul certified and went out of business.then then it came back on the market with all its certs. most of my co. runs with the gut belt because it is a nice belt ,some are changing just because they like the seat harness and its class 2(two person)rating instead of the class 1(one person/self rescue)rating.no matter how you look at it,do your own research because when the **** hits the fan it's nice to have a belt/harness and rope bag!!!!

helping people,
    it's what we do!
    capt. Dennis

I recently went from the class 1 Yates gut belt to the Yates Class 2 harness. I integrated it into my bunker pants and have my personal bailout system connected to it. Now, the belt is a bit pricey, but I can utilize it for any of the operations we handle from RIT, Confined Space, and High/Low Angle rescue operations. The belt is made of Kevlar and it is made to fold up and be worn as a Class 1 belt. Check it out, I love mine.
    Look before you cut.
    Rich (but poor)

Forum Member

Default got any pics

Chainsaw,
    Could you post any pics? Just bought a self rescue/bail out kit. Wanted to see what else is out there. My main issue with my setup is it will take some time to set up which is not what you want when the room is going to flash. Considered attaching bag to scba belt but found it too heavy. I now keep it in bunker pants pocket and I suppose I will attach to self rescue belt if going into building 4 stories or higher. Still need to play with it I guess, any other setups/suggestion would be appriciated.

ruffneck104

I donít have any pictures of me with my gear on, Iíll try to get some. However, what I did with my setup was I have my Kevlar Class II harness integrated into my bunker pants and I pre-connected the bailout friction devise to the harness and stuffed the 50 ft of rope into my bunker pants pocket. This way all I have to do is grab the carabiner end of the system, jam a tool into the window frame, and jump. Granted, you still have hazards but at least is slows you down enough to get out of the situation.
    Iíll see if I have any picís to post.
    Look before you cut.
    Rich (but poor)

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Go To Rescuealive.com Excellent Rit Gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ruffneck you said you'd attach your bail out bag going into buildings 4 stories or higher. Don't write off getting jammed up in a 3 story. Even jumping 2 stories unassisted can suck. Why have it if you're not going to use it if needed.

We use Gemtor harnesses and 30' lengths of webbing. Had snaps put on our turnout pants to fit the harnesses and keep them in place.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

We just picked up a couple of those Yates Kevlar harnesses for interior work, and to pull double duty as a belay/safety harness for some technical stuff. It might be a little bigger than you need for a simple bail out setup, but I think it is a great combo truckman's/belay harness.

For a simple escape belt, look at the Yates SCBA/Ladder/Escape harness that replaces your SCBA waist belt on Draegar/Scott/MSA packs.

Yates SCBA/Ladder/Escape Belt

Or for a more technical belt, here is the Yates Kevlar Ladderman Harness we use which folds down from a waist ladder belt into a seat harness.

Yates Kevlar Ladderman's Harness
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rit Rescue

Check out Rit Rescue's web site at www.ritrescuesystems.com

I've got their Level 2 seat harness attached to my bunkers and use their egress pack attached to my air pack. I've had it for 2 years now and love it!!! The guys like to bust my chops and call me "Ricky Rescue," but at any RIT drill or similar, they always want me to be the victim.

If you call them, ask for Omar or Dave Mooney. Omar is the owner, and Dave is the rep for at least Illinois (I'm not sure how much of an area he covers). They'll take care of you.

Forum Member

chainsaw i'm interested in knowing more about how you integrated it into the gear to.

And on the website sqdtrk1 gave it shows snaps on the bunker pants is this a requirement for wearing a class 2 harness like that?

I have never used a belt or harness for bailout. Is it quicker than going around your back with the rope method? What are the benifits. The only one I can think of would be taking another person down with you if using a harness.

MembersZone Subscriber

The seat harness is not required to be "mounted" to your pants (either velcro or snap straps), but it makes it alot more comfortable and easier to put your pants on. I originally tried without the straps and wouldn't recommend it. I think our gear supplier put them on for $25. Well worth it....

As far as being quicker - it depends on what system you're using. Some will argue that it's quicker/easier to just throw a rope out the window and grab on and slide out. Quicker? Sure? But safer? Controllable? The Rit Rescue system is the easiest and most compact system I've tried. I used to carry a LA Rescue rope bag and clip it to my SCBA harness, but then it's hanging and gettin caught up in stuff - gets old after a while.

The seat harness has the added benefit of being more comfortable than a "gut belt" or any other belt. An escape belt is a Level I "emergency use" belt and is just that - an emergency belt. Besides having to remember to put my gut belt on, I had to deal with the waist strap of the SCBA covering it and getting in the way. Have you ever tried rapelling with just an escape belt on? You'll quickly see how much it moves and ends up around your ribs. A Level II "seat harness" adds the leg loops and is more comfortable. The Rit Rescue has a large loop on the front that gets my carabineer and decent device out and away from me - no problem with the waist strap any more. Finally, by having the harness mounted to my gear, it's always with me.

Hope this helps! No matter what you use - seat harness, gut belt, homemade system - practice with it over and over. Wear it when you're doing drills so you get used to wearing it and can find your limitations. Always ask yourself "what if" and keep open to other ideas.

Forum Member

Default Heavy duty leather belt

I just went to local hardware store, heavy duty tool belt like 3-4" wide, rope and couple of caribeaners, couple of tools (Fire Buddy Hand Axe). Guess it doesn't have an official rating. But has held myself and another large Ff, without diff. (of course had a backup rope in place on us both during the practice, that won't be there in a true bale out).

p.s. Tried the link to ritrescue couldn't enter.

Should now be CharlieRFD3. Just made deputy chief.
    (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
    BE SAFE OUT THERE
    NEVER FORGET
    GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
    IACOJ
    F.O.O.P.

Forum Member

Used to use a Gut belt, but after some more expiernce with other equipment, I feel the Gemtor harness is superior. It is a class 2 vs a class 1, and as such provides an additional level of safety/security when using it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I used a gut belt while attending a week long RIT class. The belt is real nice, and you can add atachments for axes, rope bags, holders, etc...go to

www.Fireinnovations.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    We use Gemtor harnesses and 30' lengths of webbing. Had snaps put on our turnout pants to fit the harnesses and keep them in place.
    We do the same except we have rope bags.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

MembersZone Subscriber PaulChristenson's Avatar

Default Still use a Gut Belt :-)

When bailing out with a GutBelt...remember to load the rope slowly or you just rabbit punched your kidneys...

Paul in VT
    Paul in VT
    Every man is as God made him, ay, and often worse.
    Miguel de Cervantes

A person dishonored is worst than dead.
    Miguel de Cervantes

I just bought my escape kit. I still can't decide on what belt or harness to get.
    Do any of you guys with a harness attached to your bunker pants have a problem with mobility from the leg loops binding when you bend, squat, crawl, etc.?

I'm considering a Yates Kevlar harness that has a pouch for the leg loops when they're not deployed.

Sorry for the hijack.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Thread Information