Forum Member

Default Gut/Ladder Belts

Does anybodies dept issue "Gut"/Ladder Belts either as regular firefighters or RIT teams? I am wondering cause right now i am on a volly dept and love it. I did a RIT class and the instructors thought these things were the best thing since sliced bread. I am going to college next fall but will be on at least one FD hopefully two. One is my hometown FD and one will hopefully be one i can live in while i go to school. But my reasoning is weather i should get one now or just wait and hope to get hired on after college?
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

you might want to try posting this in the regualr FF forum, or doing a search on the topic. some of the paid guys will throw a hissy fit if a vollunteer posts in the paid forum.

btw, If you are going to buy personal gear, I think money could be spent better than on a gut belt. leather boots, safety glasses, and bailout bag are just three things I would look into getting before I would think of a gut belt.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

former FH.com member

Originally posted by DrParasite
    you might want to try posting this in the regualr FF forum, or doing a search on the topic. some of the paid guys will throw a hissy fit if a vollunteer posts in the paid forum.
    That is bull*****. Don't paint us all with the same brush because of 1 or 2 jackasses. Anyone can post anywhere on these forums that they wish. Period. Please don't help spread this "keep 'em separated" attitude.

-as for the rest of your advice about buying gear, I agree.

Forum Member

Dan, I agree with SAFD......... all you did was try to provoke a volly vs. paid argument....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

you check out the previous thread in the forum (titled IAFF membership). you can see how some paid guys don't even want to hear from a volunteer. and you'll note that I said some, not all. There are many paid guys who don't care, but as the previous thread shows, there are still those who only care what their "union brothers" think.

and I still think he would get better feedback in the regular forum or if he did a search.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Getting back on track...
    My department has been issuing seat harnesses as we get new turnout gear. It seems to be a fad and some one said it is in a stadard some where. Personally I don't like this in my dept. The harness is on outside of turnout gear(lots of wear and tear). But there are benefits in giving fellow FFs more stuff to grab on to if you go down. If you are bailing out a window, I am not taking the time to use harness. Of course all of our buildings are 4 stories or less. I do carry a rope with me that has a caribinear at each end and then put knots about every 4 ft.(to grab as I slide down rope) Works well also as search rode and utility rope.
    But try things and if it works for you then it is good for you.

Forum Member

I already have safety glasses. I intend to buy a bail out bag, but i want this type of device to use with bailout bag. I figure it cant be all bad if it is also a certified harness. I just want to know what everyone else feel. Im not trying to start fights or nothing, i only ask because i want to get a job in the chicago suburbs and weather other depts issue them. Im just looking for help not problems.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department issues a truck belt. I'm going through the academy and we have been using them for numerous things. We've been using them for all sorts of hose evolutions. Its amazing what a half hitch and a hook will do during hose evolutions. Its really helps when youre humping that 3" into a building.

One thing about our belt though is it doesn't look very cool but the features that come with it are what allows to use it in many ways. I'm not sure the actual "GUT" belt could be used in all those different ways.

Forum Member

We fortunate to be issued a class II harness that is integrated into our pants. very nice to always have that harness there whether for working off a ladder (ground or aerial), or in the event a bailout is required. Here's the harness im talking about:

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.cfm?cID=1071

www.palmerfire.org
    Last edited by Ladder27; 03-21-2005 at 12:02 PM.

Thread Information