Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Mechanical reasoning & Patty's day

I'm taking several tests for FD's and some of them are heavily related to mechanical reasoning. Unfortunately, I found out I wasn't mechanically inclined over the weekend. Anyone know where I can get some study material on mechanical reasoning?
    Also, Is anyone planning to visit Chicago for St. Patty Day?

Default Re: Mechanical reasoning & Patty's day

Originally posted by jmylea
    I'm taking several tests for FD's and some of them are heavily related to mechanical reasoning. Unfortunately, I found out I wasn't mechanically inclined over the weekend. Anyone know where I can get some study material on mechanical reasoning?
    Also, Is anyone planning to visit Chicago for St. Patty Day?
    Fifth grade science class maybe?
    Otherwise head over to your local book store and pick up one of the Fire Department Study guides right next to the SAT prep books usually. Or go take a basic physics 101 class at the local community college if you have the time.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Mechanical reasoning & Patty's day

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    Fifth grade science class maybe?
    Otherwise head over to your local book store and pick up one of the Fire Department Study guides right next to the SAT prep books usually. Or go take a basic physics 101 class at the local community college if you have the time.

Hmmmm...I don't remember studying the mechanical reasoning for fire fighting exams in fifth grade, but thanks anyway

Default Re: Re: Re: Mechanical reasoning & Patty's day

Hmmmm...I don't remember studying the mechanical reasoning for fire fighting exams in fifth grade, but thanks anyway
    Mechanical reasoning is mechanical reasoning, if you know the theories of the basics then you should be able to transfer it to any real life situation.

Really though, go to a book store and pull the fire department exam prep books off the shelf, then look at the bibliography for the books they use for the mechanical reasoning sections, and get a few of them to learn about it.

Good Luck!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Default Re: Re: Re: Mechanical reasoning & Patty's day

You must have attended a public school

Acctualy, I always thought that you are either mechanicaly inclined or your not. Its something you "have" not something you learn...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Mechanical reasoning & Patty's day

Originally posted by Dave1983

You must have attended a public school

Acctualy, I always thought that you are either mechanicaly inclined or your not. Its something you "have" not something you learn...
    It is learnable, some just have to concentrate harder then others for it to be absorbed and understood by the gray matter. Basic 5th grade PUBLIC SCHOOL education should give anyone the fundementals that are on most Fire Department Enterance Exams.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mechanical reasoning & Patty's day

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    It is learnable, some just have to concentrate harder then others for it to be absorbed and understood by the gray matter. Basic 5th grade PUBLIC SCHOOL education should give anyone the fundementals that are on most Fire Department Enterance Exams.
    Well, DennisTheMenace, You are right!! I looked up pulleys, Levers and Gears and sure enough it's there "under 4th and 5th grade" learning. Not totally what I was looking for, but pretty close. I'm a little embarrassed to say I really don't know much about that stuff. Thought it was because I was a chick, but I guess that might offend some other girls that know levers and pulleys and mechanical stuff.
    The chief gave me some info that will help on the written tests and, of course, I got a learning session from the guy's that thought I was crazy for not knowing about mechanical reasoning.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mechanical reasoning & Patty's day

Well, DennisTheMenace, You are right!! I looked up pulleys, Levers and Gears and sure enough it's there "under 4th and 5th grade" learning. Not totally what I was looking for, but pretty close. I'm a little embarrassed to say I really don't know much about that stuff. Thought it was because I was a chick, but I guess that might offend some other girls that know levers and pulleys and mechanical stuff.
    The chief gave me some info that will help on the written tests and, of course, I got a learning session from the guy's that thought I was crazy for not knowing about mechanical reasoning.
    Thanks!
    Don't worry, it IS a guy thing....they teach it to us for a Cub Scout Award so it is ingrained in us at age 8 and 9
    Guess they don't do that in Brownies.
    Little girls generally pay attention to reading classes, little boys generally pay attention to class where we move things hands on. just the way things are at those ages, don't feel bad. Mostly we are paying attention to the lever stuff because it comes in handy with busting things up.
    -Big Russ

Thread Information