Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber Rescue21D's Avatar

Post Bullard T3 problems???

Anybody having problems with their T3's. We have two of them in service for about two years now. The one on the Rescue is currently OOS. The batteries are from late '03 and mid '04. Both charge OK, but neither power up the camera at this time. A couple days ago it would power up the camera, but provide no images. Going to try the batteries from another companies T3 next shift to see if maybe it is the battery. Anybody else had a problem like this??? Any helpful tips???

Thanks
    Captain/EMT-P

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

My engine has a T3 sligtly older than yours. We recently had both (original) batteries go bad. The imager would power up but only last from a few seconds to a few minutes. New batteries seem to have cured our problems.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Same on ours, battery life tanked. New batteries solved it. If we had a conditioner, I think that would eliminate the problem.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

We had this problem with an old MSA 3000 also. Once the batteries were replaced, problem went away.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Rechargeable batteries do not last forever. You can do things to help extend the life, but even under great circumstances, you probably won't get more than 3 years. Busy and aggressive companies might only get 18 months out of a battery.

I have written a few articles on maintenance, including batteries. Try the Technology Zone on Firehouse.com. You can also check the Bullard site for back issues of the newsletter (http://thermalimager.bullard.com/newsletter/). There is a specific training article on Batteries...although I forget which issue. 2004 or 2003?
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Default OK

JB, I was hoping you'd jump in. The one battery is from late '04. Can't believe it's dead already??? It isn't used that frequently. 8000 runs, 60+ % EMS, maybe less than 100 actual uses on the camera a year, and it sits in a truck mount T3 charger. The other battery is from late in 2003. That one I could see being near the end of useful life, but not the other one.
    Captain/EMT-P

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Default Re: OK

Originally posted by Rescue21D
    JB, I was hoping you'd jump in. The one battery is from late '04. Can't believe it's dead already??? It isn't used that frequently. 8000 runs, 60+ % EMS, maybe less than 100 actual uses on the camera a year, and it sits in a truck mount T3 charger. The other battery is from late in 2003. That one I could see being near the end of useful life, but not the other one.
    I can't give you too much insight without knowing more detail. There could be a problem with that battery, with your charger or with your TI. A volt-/multi-meter is a great tool (under $20 at Radio Shack if no one has one). Check the voltage into the charger to make sure it is 12-15 volts (I don't recall if it can run 24 volt). Check the battery to see how many volts it is; you should have roughly 10. If you can check amps and amphours, that's even better.

Late 04 may still be under warranty...batteries have a 90 day warranty. Check with your distributor or Bullard. Also, check the maintenance articles I referenced to see if you can "get some life back" into the battery.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Default Thanks, I'm trying

Thanks JB. I tried charging the batteries last week. Started out red and about 40 min later the LED was green. Still wouldn't power up the camera. When I go to work tomorrow I will check with a multi-meter and also check with another companies T3 battery to see if theirs works in ours, etc. Thanks again for the help.
    Captain/EMT-P

Have you used a Scotch-Brite pad or a pencil eraser on the contacts? Dirt and carbon can build up and make a poor connection. Just don't use anything metalic, ie steel wool, wire brush, file.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

The last issue of T-3's we had in class had a couple issues with similar symptoms.These WERE NOT battery related.The cameras went back to Bullard who to the best of my knowledge fully repaired the issue.T.C.

Post Thanks

Apparently our problem isn't the batteries either. They are being sent back to Bullard as we speak. Thanks to all for your input.
    Captain/EMT-P

Thread Information