Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Combination Firehouse/_______ ?

Working on the initial planning for a new fire station for our dept. Small town/rural vol. dept. Current station has 2x double deep bays. Pumper, tanker, cascade air trailer, City snow plow, and adding a Wildland/1st responder. Turnout gear rack and a desk along a side wall. Community room/kitchen at the rear. Thats it. Nothing else in the station. Need more room for additional equipment/vehicles. Particularly to get fixed on tanker capacity.

Goal is a modern professional facility with as many of the current amenities and facilities as we can afford. Beer budget local construction self help project. As typical for rural communities this will/must be a multi-use, community facility (minimum of a meeting/banquet room w/kitchen. Likely funding sources will include USDA Rural Dev grant $. USDA has funding for essential community services (such as fire stations), and for shared/multi user community facilities. We’re thinking thru what the shared uses might be. Primary goal; A). What will be of value to the community and B). Will finance the most useful/valuable fire station.

1. Iowa has funding for tourist attraction facility. Right combination might fit A & B
    2. Several organizations have funding available for establishing medical clinic facilities - none in the community and would be particularly valuable from 1st Responder and Fire Fighter medical screening standpoint.
    3. Commercial space with _______ tenant. Revenue to help pay the mortgage.
    4. ????

What is housed in your firehouse that works or does not work that we might consider?

Our station is a combination police/fire station. Looking at it from out front, the apparatus bay (two wide, deep enough for an engine and 100' tiller on one side and two engines and an ambulance on the other) is on the right side. As you walk in, there's a Captain's office and utility/work room down the right side of the bay. On the left side, there's a dispatch/conference room and Chief's office at the front with a hall that's perpindicular to the bay. The hall ends at the police lobby, and the opposite side of the hall (from the dispatch room) is the police breakroom (which we use somewhat...coffee, etc.). The rest of the police station is off to the other side of that.

At the back of our apparatus bay, there's a stairway that leads up and over the PD station to our meeting room, which has bathroom/locker areas and a small kitchen. Directly underneath the meeting room is a 6 vehicle "carport" used for the PD vehicles that opens into the community parking lot for the park and City Hall (both adjacent to the station).

Other than that, only other somewhat unique set-up I've seen in the area is the fire station on Balboa Island. Its a touristy area (lots of shops, restaurants, etc.) but they didn't have any public restrooms, so when they built the new fire station on the island (its on a corner), they put in public restrooms along one side that are totally seperate from the rest of the fire station.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

FossilMedic

I have visited an all-volunteer fire/rescue station in rural Virginia that includes a large, multi-functional community center.

It was not just a well-scheduled bingo hall, but an adjacent building with different sized rooms. I believe part of it was used as a child daycare facility. It seemed to function as an active community center.

MembersZone Subscriber

The childcare center is not a bad idea. Useful to community and revenue generating. And mom/pop taxpayer see their local fire station every day.

Anyone seen/tried any commericial development w/fire station. Perhaps something along the lines of stripmall/storage rentals at one end; station at the other? Could be a private party as landlord or City/FC as landlord and the other side is the renter.

Lightbulb Combination...

About 10 years ago I belonged to a volunteer POC department in the Detroit metro area that was connected to a restaraunt/bar. I know. The bar part seems odd (maybe not). People always said "You mean that fire hall connected to the bar?" " Do you have a secret entrance?" Blah blah blah... It worked out OK though. No there were no connecting doors. We parked on one side and they on the other. I am not sure if they helped pay for it or not. I'll try and find out. They did mow our lawn and have the driveways plowed though

I would think hard about having a business split or share any payments or space if I were you. What if that business goes under? What if they sell their space? You could be up a creek. Then again you could just be the only fire hall connected to a strip club!

Good Luck!
    KC
    Last edited by prymtym; 02-15-2005 at 09:25 PM.
    "PHILIPPEANS 4:13"

Forum Member

I know that Boston built a fire station on the ground floor of a high-rise several years ago downtown, simply because what little land that was available was too pricey.

Originally posted by LaFireEducator
    I know that Boston built a fire station on the ground floor of a high-rise several years ago downtown, simply because what little land that was available was too pricey.
    That station is in the Financial District (it houses Boston Engine 10, Rescue 1, the Tower Unit and Car 6, I believe) and was built by the developer, who wanted the station's original location as part of the building's footprint and land area.

The jakes in that house have their own secure parking area in the underground garage and some great restaurants nearby!

As for the combination firehouse, I would stay away from any venture that requires a liquor license. To quote Benjamin Franklin, American patriot and native Bostonian (sorry, Philly )...

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-16-2005 at 07:26 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information