Question Fire Prevention Grants?

I know this sounds absolutely crazy but I honestly do not know the answer to this and yes I probably should be taken to the woods and shot for not knowing.

What is the Fire Prevention Grant Program I keep hearing about? Is it different than the Fire Act/AFG? If so how is it different? Can any fire department apply for this? Can you apply for this in conjunction with the AFG?

So now that I have humiliated myself by admitting my ignorance and now there are probably people lining up at the local gun shops purchasing boxes of bullets with my name on them, could somone please educate me on this grant program. I would really appreciate it.

Take Care and Stay Safe,
    Chief, Charles Fisher
    Carlisle County Rural Fire Department
    Carlisle County Rescue Squad

MembersZone Subscriber

Carlisle, don't take it too hard! Every year only about 20% of the depts. I work with on AFG decide they are interested in applying for the annual Fire Prevention and Safety grant.

A little background on the grant...
    It is a branch (or arm) of AFGP. When the FIRE ACT was approved it required that a percentage of the funding be under the Fire Prevention heading. However, in the early days, most depts. priorities (and most still are) is PPE and various FF Safety equip. So, they were having difficulty receiving the necessary application from FDs for FP $. Several years ago, they broke apart a seperate FP program opened up in the Fall (usually Sept or Oct).

The application process is nearly the same as AFGP (Mar/Ap) and the online app. is very similar. The program is designed to assist in funding in the area of Fire Prevention/Safety. If your dept. has an existing FP program, you can expand it here...(programs, supplies, CO2 detectors, smoke detectors, batteries, etc.). It's a good chance to ADD a program if you don't have one.

The funds come from the total FIRE ACT Funding and are awarded in a similiar fashion. However, this year is the first year that Fire Prevention is ENTIRELY broken out from the Spring app. Last year you could have applied in both the Spring and Fall for FP. Now, they have relagated it to the Fall only.

You can apply in both the Spring and Fall, as long as your total doesn't exceed the yearly max in the guidelines. Also, whether you have won in the Spring or received a Dear John has no bearing on the FP awards.

If you look back on the awardees in the past year or two, they have become much more wide and varied than depts. It is where a community org. can apply such as American Red Cross or a local org. that offers fire safety programs, etc.

Hope this helps. You can also go to www.firegrantsupport.com and view previous years awardees and some of the info on this funding opportunity. Good Luck!

Smile Thank You for the guideance

Now I don't feel so stupid, becuause is was actually as confusing as I thought it was. So basicly My agency can apply for PPE, Apparatus, in conjunction with the FP program? Do they put out a seperate application website than the AFG? And if so where can I find it and when?

My agency used to have a FP program and we used to distribute smoke detectors to persons in our fire districts. But since then money has become very tight, we have not been able to afford to provide this service. I get calls daily wanting to know if we have smoke detectors. We still host our annual fire safety day during Fire Safety week and we basicly cater to the schools. grades K-6th, we borrow another counties Fire Safety House and we do the Stop,Drop and Roll program.

This program would be beneficial in re-igniting our program. Thank you very much for your help.

Now that I understand, everyone can just get refunds on all that amo!

Once again thanks so much,

Take Care and Stay Safe
    Chief, Charles Fisher
    Carlisle County Rural Fire Department
    Carlisle County Rescue Squad

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, basically you apply for whatever your regular app. is going to be in the Spring, and then if you're interested in kick-starting your FP program (and are willing to commit to the FP program at least another year following your award...) then it sounds like it is a good fit.

I advise depts. I work with to evaluate the current FP situation, look at what staff and time you can commit to it (LONG TERM... since they are interested in retention!) and then tailor a program to fit your community and it's needs. Pay close attention to the High Risk/High Priority groups per NFPA.

Oh, and the app. is found at the same log in, it's just not available until the FP opens up (this past year was Sept. 04). There's 32 Million slated for fire prevention this year. Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Would anyone be willing to fill me in on how they go about awarding the FP grants? How many rounds are there for awards and how often do the DJ's go out? Will the awards be announced in conjunction with the last few AFG grant awards? I didn't really pay attention to how they did it last year. Thanks for any info!

Thread Information