Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Q-sirens on rescues/ambulances???

whats your thoughts on Q's on ambulances/rescues????

One of the private ambulance companies that used to be in this area used to have some and there may be a couple FDs that may, but they are few and far between......... I personally don't see the need on an ambulance.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

due to the electrical draw they are not to prudent on comercial chassis.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Why would it be any worse on a commerical chassis? We have a Peterbuilt on order with a 270 amp alt.

Default Re: Q-sirens on rescues/ambulances???

Originally posted by tothemax31
    whats your thoughts on Q's on ambulances/rescues????
    If the electrical system will support it, go for it
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Originally posted by Weruj1
    due to the electrical draw they are not to prudent on comercial chassis.
    We have one on our squad which is on a Freightliner chassis. Never had a problem with it.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

I think Weruj may have been referring to commercial van/pick-up type chassis.......... Like the Ford F and E series.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

and yes I did .
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Needs a strong bracket, those babies have a LOT of torque. Pays to remember that along with the need for electrical support. We had one on an older LaFrance, started cracking and peeling back the diamond plate it was bolted to after many years of (too much?) use. Wonder how many whackers have wrinkled or torn off the fender where they bolted it on to the sheet metal.

Exclamation

Why not put them on ambulances!

I have seen Q's on Road Rescue, Wheel Coach, Med Tec and Swab made units. As long as the electrical system and alternator is good enough to support the amp draw from the siren.

There are a lot better than the electronic siren which the sound gets lost as higher speeds, and high winds blowing towards the bus as it trying to get the right of way.

Mounting the Q on the front bumper or in the bumper is the proper place and not on a mount above the cab or the roof!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

We have a Q on each of our ambulances. They are a lot more effective than an electronic siren if used properly.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

I am just glad that hey finally have put airhorns on the Medics and Ambulances around here. There real thing too, not that electrical BS that cops are starting to run more and more.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Angry

A 'Q' on a ambulance? Are you kidding? Can't you find other more important things to spend over $1k on? Things that will make a difference? Do we really need a 100 AMP siren browning out the back of the rig every time some tool in the driver's seat hits the button? Don't give me the hi-amp alternator answer. You won't win this argument.

Ask the Medic if he could hear lung sounds after dropping a ET Tube, because the idiot in the front seat couldn't shut the siren off. At 03:00. On a street with no traffic. Or intersections.

This thread could only be started by a young, inexperienced emergency vehicle operator.

Let's get this straight. Lights, siren's, and any other bell's and whistle's that you can think of WILL NOT get you anywhere any faster than a good experienced emergency vehicle operator.

You still need to treat EVERY vehicle as if they do not see or hear you, and you still can not blow or roll through any intersection until you have made direct eye contact with approaching vehicles, regardless of how many blinking, flashing, strobing, steady burning, red, blue, green, white, plaid, argyle, tartan, yelping, hi-lo, wail, phaser, barking, "Grover Stuttering" lights, sirens or air horns you may have.

You wreck? You bought it! You risk the lives of yourself, your crew, your patient, and innocent civilians. Any competent lawyer is going to eat you alive. Your department, town, city or whatever, is not going to defend you for being a stem.

Think the train that hit that ambulance last week heard the siren? Think the idiot riding on the running board did?

Slow down. Get there. Be safe. Go home after work.

Forum Member

Who ever built your rigs, Admiral, must have done a ****ty job. I know that with both of our rescues, you can hear just fine when the person up front are using the Q (the driver should be driving, and there should be someone in the "officers" seat to run the radio, lights, sirens, etc.). We operate with the electronic always running, switched to the "Magnum" mode in the city so we have both speakers running, and only use the Q in the fashion that it works best. When you approach an intersection, you wind it up, and immediately let off, wind it back up again, and let off, etc. Doing this is more effective than standing on it, which is actually harmful to the siren.

The Q siren is simply an automotive starter with a prop on the front to move the air. You know what happens when you hold the starter on your car after the vehicle is started? You can ruin it. Same goes for the Q.

Out of all of the transports I have been on, I have not heard a single complaint from any of the EMT's about siren use.

Also, I know here that you have to have both lights and siren operating when traveling down the road during an emergency, no matter what time of day it is.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Exclamation

???

Maybe the Admiralís boat should be sunk.

Why not having a siren on a bus (ambulance) that will advise the motorist with the radios blaring and the noise level so high emitting from their vehicles that you can hear them a mile away and it is covering the should of some lame electronic syringe!!

Put a real Q on the unit in the bumper and use it correctly and it will wake up the air heads, and bass noise makers providers that will be not be able to hear anything in five years from their own accord listening to the, what they call, music.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok after reading all of the replies seems that everyone is saying a traditional "Q". My squad in town has 6 buses and all have a electronic Q. Half the cost almost the same sound, and the best part for them going down a busy highway and through 6 lane intersections traffic stops for them now. Plus the local medic units out of the local hospitals are starting to use the electronic "Q"s.

So I say, works for the big rigs and I see it work for the buses, go for it

Forum Member

You better check to see if your e-Q's are stolen...

A brand new e-Q2B is the same price as the original.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

MembersZone Subscriber

got em at cost -- so in a sense they saved the money

Well, if your talking something like an F or E 350 then no. I think a nice set of airhorns and an EQ or dual electronic (ie SVP 440) would be more then enough. However, a Frieghtliner or other heavy duty commercial should have no problem supporting a regular Q, especially if you go with LED lighting.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Bozz, CaptOldTimer, I respect you opinions and experience. CaptOldTimer: I consider myself one. 24 years active FF (still...), 17 EMS. Still active.

A 'Q' on my Engine or Rescue? At a major intersection? When there's traffic?! Sure thing! I'm all over it when it's necessary (READ: WHEN I KNOW THERE IS TRAFFIC - AND I CAN SEE IT BEFORE HAND!) IT STILL GIVES ME AS THE VEHICLE OPERATOR NO RIGHT TO DISOBEY TRAFFIC LAWS! I stop. I look. I proceed. I get myself, my truck, and my crew to the call. No delay. Period.

Bozz - our state law also states "lights & sirens" blah blah blah. Laws written by idiots with no FIRE/EMS/PD experience whatsoever. Common sense says turn off the siren when not necesarry. Again, if you can't see them, they can't hear you, turn the siren off, it's meaningless to all but the occupants of the rig.

Read my post - only a stem would drive with the siren on for no obvious reason. I hear these type driving up the highway past my house at 03:00 with the siren on. No traffic. No excuse.

You wreck with a civillian - you eat the lawsuit - REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH NOISE YOU CAN MAKE! PERIOD! The 'Q' means NOTHING! Again, save the $1k plus for the 'Q' and the added electrical capability, and put it where it belongs - patient care.

Need more? The FDNY's edict is you wreck a rig? The Chauffer AND the Officer are responsible.

How do you people clean off the steering wheel when you get to your destination?
    Last edited by Admiral; 02-18-2005 at 10:44 AM.

Thread Information