Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Question Looking For Some Info On The DC Area

I have a co-worker who has been notified that she is going to (probably) be re-locating to Washington DC in the summer. Since she knows that I "know" lots of people out that way she asked me for some help.

Specifically what are some good websites to visit to investigate housing for rental, not necessarily in DC itself, but in the outlying areas too. Add to that, vehicle licencing requirements/veh inspections, things to do and see, and all those other "living" things that happen in life.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess another question to have asked is:

what are some of the areas to avoid living in?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

As with most things, the answer is ..... it depends.

Does she have a family or is she single? Where will she be working? In this area, it's difficult to recommend anything because the choice is so big...DC, Maryland, Virginia...

FFFRED gave you the Craiglist post which very well may help your friend get a temporary place to live. It's not cheap.

I recommend she get a temp place near where she's going to be working (she can check out a map and look for places on Craiglist within 10-15 miles from where she's working). Then she can talk to co-workers and spend weekends driving around checking places out.

As for vehicle inspections....She'll need to get the safety & emissions inspections at any larger service station (they'll have a sign for "State Inspections"...about $45). Naturally, she'll need to get a license...register to vote....and (I can only speak for Virginia, Fairfax County) she'll need to get a County Sticker through the Virginia Property Tax Office for an additional $60-$100.

Fairfax County, VA is probably one of the most expensive counties to live in but it's close to DC, several metro stations...and full of traffic (but so is every place around here).

Unless she has specific questions....I really don't know how to help.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Other Side of the Creek..........

Maryland is Cheaper, Has better Fire Protection, (at least around Glenn Dale anyway) and does NOT have the one thing that Virginians are constantly in an uproar about: The Damn car tax. The D.C. area does have a higher cost of living though, for the most part. Places I'd look, in order of preference:

Maryland.........
    1. Charles County
    2. Frederick County
    3. Calvert County
    4. P.G. County Outside the Beltway

Virginia
    1. Loudoun County
    2. Spotsylvania County
    3. Stafford County
    4. Western Prince William County

Places that I'd Avoid at all costs:
    1. ANYWHERE inside the Beltway
    2. Fairfax County VA.
    3. Montgomery County Md.

Rick, I'll send you an email....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default Re: Other Side of the Creek..........

Originally posted by hwoods
    Maryland is Cheaper, Has better Fire Protection,

Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Default Re: Other Side of the Creek..........

QUOTE]Originally posted by hwoods
    Maryland is Cheaper, Has better Fire Protection, (at least around Glenn Dale anyway)[/QUOTE]Fairfax/Arlington/Alexandria would all put up great arguements against that. Bethesda,Potomac,ChevyChase,Ro ckville are all more costly then anywhere in Virginia. While the southern I-95 corridor Virginia places you list are nicer and cheaper then much of Maryland.
    and does NOT have the one thing that Virginians are constantly in an uproar about: The Damn car tax.
    Maryland makes up for the car tax with higher registration fees and initial sales tax on vehicles
    The D.C. area does have a higher cost of living though, for the most part. Places I'd look, in order of preference:

Maryland.........
    1. Charles County
    2. Frederick County
    3. Calvert County
    4. P.G. County Outside the Beltway

Virginia
    1. Loudoun County
    2. Spotsylvania County
    3. Stafford County
    4. Western Prince William County

Places that I'd Avoid at all costs:
    1. ANYWHERE inside the Beltway
    2. Fairfax County VA.
    3. Montgomery County Md.

Rick, I'll send you an email....
    Saying living in Montgomery County or Fairfax County is to be avoided is like telling someone in the LosAngeles Area to avoid living in BelAire or Beverly Hills, or someone in NYC to avoid living on Park Ave. Only reason to avoid it is if you really can't avoid it, and adjusting life priorities most can afford it. Otherwise the two counties are the nicest places to live in the area in general, along with Alexandria and Arlington County.
    The only reason that PG is currently affordable is that it can not compete with the other counties for quality of life and services.
    All the other locations will put someone in for one heck of a commute.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thumbs up

To answer some of the questions:

She is single, and "Pet Friendly" would be an asset - dog/cat combo

And thanks to everyone who has answered up so far - this is all great info that I can pass on.

"Places to avoid" was more related to hooliganism and crime rather than towards being overly expensive. My friend is in the Canadian military and will be transferring to the Canadian Embassy (Canadian Defence Liaison Staff - Washington), 501 Pennsylvainia Ave sometime in July. Commuting is not real a problem, and using the metro is acceptable too.

Harve, how far would Glenn Dale be from the above address?

Fauquier County is only about 45 miles from D.C. Warrenton Virginia area... still somewhat rural and not all that expensive. only about 25 miles from the Vienna Metro station on I-66.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

The embassy has a relocation staffer who should be able to help here a lot, their role is essentually that of Concierge for the embassy. There are likely areas that they would rather she live in. She should contact them first, then any questions she has, some of us can help answer. Wish her luck!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

FossilMedic

A couple of resources that could help:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/

Apartment guide is on-line and publishes a hefty book that you can find in most of the local grocery stores. You can order a copy from the website for $5 - ask for the northern Virginia book and the DC metro book.

http://www.rentnet.com/apartments/home.jhtml?lnksrc=ts5

Forum Member

Chief Woods, all due respect, but I think the best of both worlds (if you can afford it) is to raise kids in Montgomery County and fight fire in PG..... for the record though, my house is sprinklered, and my car stays pointed in the direction of the hospital

Originally posted by Grit76
    Chief Woods, all due respect, but I think the best of both worlds (if you can afford it) is to raise kids in Montgomery County and fight fire in PG..... for the record though, my house is sprinklered, and my car stays pointed in the direction of the hospital
    but I say, live in Fairfax and fight fire in DC
    -Big Russ

Ok, now I am going to kick the pot over just for FUN!!!

We have talked about Fairfax, PG and Mongomery Counties right? So who has the best VOLUNTEER Stations?

**This is intended to be a FUN discussion! (and who is 'hiring;?) **

MembersZone Subscriber

So who has the best VOLUNTEER Stations
    Now you've really gone and done it 27!! Don't you know you are not supposed to use the "v" word? Good thing you are too far away for me to come spank your behind.

Last edited by superchef; 02-17-2005 at 06:22 PM.

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
    Ok, now I am going to kick the pot over just for FUN!!!

We have talked about Fairfax, PG and Mongomery Counties right? So who has the best VOLUNTEER Stations?

**This is intended to be a FUN discussion! (and who is 'hiring;?) **
    PG and Montgomery Counties both have truly Volunteer Stations where volunteers are required for minimal staffing some 100% volunteer. Alexandria City, Arlington County, and Fairfax are all 100% 24/7 minimum staffed by career firefighters, with professional volunteers supplementing them and running support units such as light and air trucks and fully manning BLS units and reserve engines during high call volume periods.

I believe Fairfax, Montgomery and Arlington are hiring right now, don't want anything to do with P.G. county except on game days at Redskins Stadium.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

one area to avoid in DC is South East. PG county also has some bad areas. I live in montgomery county and its nice. I dont recommend living in DC with pets. Not alot of housing with land. i know houseing in montgomery county is really high. 200k+ in most areas.

Because she is Canadian Military, she will not be able to buy housing - rentals only Her posting will be a four year duration.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Sudden Thought....................... .....

If anyone reading these threads is from Wayyyy beyond the DC suburbs, don't get concerned about some of us. We like to mess with each other a bit, but it's all in fun. This area has something for everyone, both in price and location. If Recreational pursuits are important, Annapolis, Maryland, 20 miles East of DC is THE place for Boating. Conversely, If it's Winter sports, Frederick, Maryland, 45 Miles Northwest of DC is the closest to the Ski Areas of Liberty and Roundtop. Lots of miles of Hike/Bike Trails in Northern Virginia. If Firefighting is your thing, Then it's PG. (Sorry, couldn't resist ) If it's possible, look around the area in advance of a move.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We like to mess with each other a bit, but it's all in fun.
    Chief Woods,
    You guys keep me insane, which is quite all right with me. Sanity is far too scary.

Thread Information