Thread: Where to Start

Forum Member

Default Where to Start

Hey folks,

I am looking for some advice on becoming a volunteer/on call firefighter/medical responder.

Here is some background.

I am a college student, although I will be graduating in December. Right now, I live on the northwest area of Plymouth Township (M-14 and Ridge). My dilemma is two fold. One, I donít live in a township/city with volunteer/on call personnel (Salem Twp, Northville City, Superior Twp, Ann Arbor Twp, etc.) Two, I donít know where I will be living or working this time next year. Where I live a year from now depends on where I land a full time job.

I understand that one of the problems with retaining volunteer/on call personnel is that once they receive the training and certification, they leave. I donít feel that this is right, and I wouldnít want to burden a department by doing the same. I have also contemplated going to Schoolcraft for their academy, and pay for it out of my own pocket.

On one hand, It seems like I am in a good time to start (flexible schedule, no major responsibilities), on the other hand it doesnít seem like the right time (Unsure of future residence, job, etc). Any ideas on where to start or what is the best course of action?

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default My 2 cents...

I would hold off on trying to get on as a volunteer until I knew where I was going to move. The department is going to invest alot of time and money in you and would expect that you will be worth it. You won't be if you leave within a year. By the time you got enough training to help them in any way, you will most likely be gone. And, moving to a town just to be on their volunteer department is not a good idea. You might regret it if things don't go as planned with you and them, then the only reason you moved there doesn't even exist anymore.
    I suggest going to EMT school. If you have the time to volunteer,you should have the time for that. Almost any volunteer department (around here) will pay for your FFI and II and Haz Mat. They might not pay for EMT if they don't require it to be a volley.
    Go talk to some guys on the departments near you. I'd go talk to the chief. See if there is any way you can get involved as a non-member. Some might laugh or tell you "No thanks" or who knows what. But, you might meet a crew of guys you work well with in a neighborhood you really like and it might make things much clearer come moving time .
    Here's a start. Salem, Northville, Northfield, Novi, Augusta, and Lyon Twp. all have volley or combo departments. You'll need networking skills when you graduate, might as well start now!
    Good luck,
    KC
    Last edited by prymtym; 02-17-2005 at 06:04 PM.
    "PHILIPPEANS 4:13"

Forum Member

Thats an intersting idea that I honestly hadn't thought of. For some reason, I had stuck in my head to do fire school first, then medical. Now that you mention it, it seems like a win-win situation. Not only does it allow me to start early, but it would also make me more valuable to a department when I graduate. Heck, it might even help me land a full time job, since OSHA requires one person on a job site to be first aid certified (and I would be certified to a higher level).

I know that HVA has classes quite frequently. I'll have to look into this further.

Thanks.

Thread Information