Default Unrestrained Objects in Cab

Can anyone tell me if there are specific laws or standards concerning unrestrained tools or objects in the cab of fire apparatus? Any articles on this subject would be of great help also. Thanks.

Forum Member

Don't know of any law or standard as I never checked for one, but common sense tells me not to have stuff loose in the cab.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    Don't know of any law or standard as I never checked for one, but common sense tells me not to have stuff loose in the cab.

Especially firefighters.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Default NFPA

There are numerous referance to loose items in the cab in several NFPA standards. Whild not law unless your AHJ has adopted them, theyt are a nationally recoginized standard.

Forum Member

There is another thread going here talking about wearing helmets in the cab. I pointed out that if it is not on your head, it is an unrestrained object. I also noted that if there are other unrestrained objects in the cab, your fire helmet may provide some protection from them during a crash. On the other hand, a fire helmet is not a "crash" helmet, so there is a possibility that wearing the helmet during a crash could cause injuries because of its design... so you are potentially screwed either way.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

NFPA does mention crash brackets for the irons or other items. As for the helmet, I wouldn't wear it in the cab. With the long rear brim their is a good chance that your head will stop and body will not causing injury to your head or neck.
    Don't leave your lid on the dog house where it is at your head level. I usually wedge it somewhere or put it on the floor.

Forum Member

I have often thought about what would happen in a crash if the seat-mount nested SCBA packs started flying around. Just about everywhere I've seen them used they are simply placed in their spring clip so they slip out easily. Our rescue truck has seven SCBAs mounted in the back this way, plus another five single bottles also in spring clips. Methinks they ought to have some sort of hold-down strapping that can be easily released (velcro?) so they don't become bombs in a collision, injuring by blunt force trauma or even having the head knocked off and them flying. Tie downs, SCBA straps, seatbelts... there must be a way to integrate this stuff into a single system instead of potentially tying knots with all of it. But clipboards, flashlights, corded spotlights, helmets, laptops, portable radios... all this stuff can kill you by flying around.
    Last edited by RLFD14; 02-21-2005 at 09:34 AM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by RLFD14
    I have often thought about what would happen in a crash if the seat-mount nested SCBA packs started flying around. Just about everywhere I've seen them used they are simply placed in their spring clip so they slip out easily.
    The newer SCBA seats do have a locking mechanism to hold the SCBAs in place in the seat until you pull a release teather. Not sure if you can retro-fit an older seat.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Originally posted by MetalMedic

The newer SCBA seats do have a locking mechanism to hold the SCBAs in place in the seat until you pull a release teather. Not sure if you can retro-fit an older seat.
    Take a piece of webbing and rivet it to the bracket tha=en you can put hooks on it to hold it in place......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A Brick

I'm not eniterly sure what a red brick weighs. Nearly the same as a fire helmet I suspect.

I've SEEN what an unrestrained brick will do to an unprotected skull in a hiway crash.

That said, a box of tissue impacting your head at 60mph wouldn't feel very nice either.

Look around your truck the next time you respond to a call. Would you really want anyone to thow any of those things directly at your head/face?

Forum Member

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Take a piece of webbing and rivet it to the bracket tha=en you can put hooks on it to hold it in place......
    I've heard of using an old seat belt. I dunno though, I've never seen it.. but sounds like it could work. We have the built in restraints, but only use them on seats 5 and 6.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by MetalMedic
    There is another thread going here talking about wearing helmets in the cab. I pointed out that if it is not on your head, it is an unrestrained object. I also noted that if there are other unrestrained objects in the cab, your fire helmet may provide some protection from them during a crash. On the other hand, a fire helmet is not a "crash" helmet, so there is a possibility that wearing the helmet during a crash could cause injuries because of its design... so you are potentially screwed either way.
    Have you ever had that helmet that is supposed to be on your head slide across the dashboard and wedge under the steering wheel?

Have you ever tipped the cab up, forgetting the hand light you didn't secure, until you see it laying on the parking lot, under whats left of the windshield?

Forum Member

Originally posted by DepChief135

Have you ever tipped the cab up, forgetting the hand light you didn't secure, until you see it laying on the parking lot, under whats left of the windshield?
    I would imagine that would have to be one VERY weak windshield to fail under a light falling/sliding 3-6 feet when you tip the cab.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    I would imagine that would have to be one VERY weak windshield to fail under a light falling/sliding 3-6 feet when you tip the cab.
    I don't want to test it, (at least not on our truck ), but our salesman was very emphatic that with the large glass in many of todays custom cabs, that even a loose helmet is a potential windshield popper.

Forum Member

Originally posted by pfd3501
    I don't want to test it, (at least not on our truck ), but our salesman was very emphatic that with the large glass in many of todays custom cabs, that even a loose helmet is a potential windshield popper.
    Count on it. That's all I'll say about that.

As for the general idea of loose equipment in the cab, I believe it's true that apparatus manufacturers will no longer mount (or provide mounts for) tools on the dogboxes of the cabs without a locking mechanism of some sort...and won't mount (or provide mounts for) anything that would be a hazard if someone hit it (like a haligan, for example). Whether this is in response to NFPA or just general liability concerns, I don't really know.

Forum Member

Another overlooked item is radios. Think about that giant brick impacting your head at 50mph. Clip boards, gas meters, etc are all good missiles.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information