MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Default OSFM budget increases

Sounds like JT was able to convince Rod that his office really is important. The governor's budget for next year would give OSFM an additional $4.4 million. Can't wait to see how that trickles down to the smaller, volunteer departments that are so prevalent in our area.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking WALL

Just hope that money does not hit that BIG WALL of STOP ALL FUNDS at I-80. But J.T. has shown that the wall is not as big as it use to be. Stay safe
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: WALL

Originally posted by Crisb1419
    Just hope that money does not hit that BIG WALL of STOP ALL FUNDS at I-80. But J.T. has shown that the wall is not as big as it use to be. Stay safe

Shushhh...don't let that secret out. They may want to rebuild or remodel it.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe that's Blago's way of apologizing for trying to "re-allocate" the 20 million from the Fire Prevention Fund LAST year.
    I want to believe that he realizes the value added 4.4 million will bring to OSFM.
    NAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Default Freeway of Love

If I-80 runs right through our town what does that make us?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default Re: Freeway of Love

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    If I-80 runs right through our town what does that make us?
    WAY too close to Chicago.
    bunnie

IACOJ by choice; Flatlander by the grace of God.

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Freeway of Love

Originally posted by bunnie62

WAY too close to Chicago.
    Brilliant.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to stick up for the northerners, but this has always been an intriguing debate.
    I think it goes without saying that Chicago Metro gets alot of road money, but money from the OSFM or IFSI has found its way down state.
    How many of you can remember that we had literally no outreach programs, other than Essentials I, II, III, IV and a 15 hour "Specialized Training" course-basically HazMat Awareness- and nothing else? I sure do. If you wanted training and you were willing to travel and pay for the class, you could.
    Mac McCausland isn't spending money like a drunken sailor (Rod's analogy) and I heard yesterday that we are going to get a full time IFSI coordinator for Northest Illinois whose area will be from Galesburg to Freeport, I believe. And Southeastern Illinois will soon have one as well. So we will have all of these "mini-Dave Clarks" in our regions, full time, to assist us with a multitude of training and education issues.
    So, is there any doubt that the dollars are going to where they should and not just north of I-80?
    I think Illinois has done a terrific job of stretching their dollars and putting them where it makes the most sense (training/education/research and development).
    If you haven't taken advantage of the free, free-I said "free"-training from the Cornerstone program, you have yourself to blame.
    It just so happens that, in some cases, in depressed areas of Southern Illinois, they are waiving minimum class sizes to get training to those in that part of the state that wants it. If three people show up, they will get the same training as the larger classes. Now; that means that the state is spending more money to train these three, but you have to crawl before you can walk and in this part of the state, you have to plant the seed if you want the tree to grow. Makes sense.
    Well, you have probably heard enough from me. But hey; it's easy to be excited about our Illinois fire service.
    And no; this is not a paid, political announcement.
    And I am NOT running for office.
    Next!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    finally getting ready to start the new station

Default Speaking of Training...

Speaking of OSFM and training...
    MABAS Division 17(Stephenson County) is holding a Technical Rescue awareness class this coming Saturday. There's still time to sign up if any of you are interested.

Technical Rescue Awareness Class

February 27, 2005
    08301700 hrs.

FHN Memorial Hospital
    1045 W. Stephenson St.
    Freeport, IL
    Lower level Globe Room

Cost $ 15, fee covers materials and balance
    to fund additional Stephenson County TRT equipment.

This is 8 hrs. of strictly classroom, no hands-on.
    It is the pre-requisite for ALL advanced Technical Rescue Classes and also to become a member of the S.T.A.R.T. team. This is a OFSM certification class. The next local test is scheduled for April 6, 1900 hrs. at the same location.

Please RSVP by Feb. 24 to Denise at Freeport Fire Dept (815)235-8217
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber

CR, we in depressed Southern Illinois have had a coordinator for a couple of years. I don't know how well it's working out, though. The last Cornerstone program we had at our station went through Champaign and I didn't even hear from the coordinator. As far as waiving the numbers requirement, there's not an excuse for people not to be there. They want 15, the last one we had got 30 there from 6 different departments. OSFM wants us to get the training and they're funneling some money to IFSI to see that we have it available. Now all we need to do is ask for it!
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

And just because we're up here in northern IL, don't think we hate Chicago any less than any of you folks down south.

Many of us are currently ranting over now calling the Rockford Airport the Northwestern Chicago Regional Airport at Rockford, or something like that. Give me a break!!!

Forum Member

Just to let you guy's know,if you haven't looked in awhile, IFSI is offering FFII in there conerstone program again.

Forum Member

I feel like this thread is creeping towards a path that is not in line with the spirit of the Illinois forums. I dont see a lot of "downstate bashing" from Chicago area types like myself. I can't understand why folks find it necessary to berate Chicago. Why do you dislike Chicago so much? All Illinoisans should be proud to have a world class city in their state. It isnt Chicagos fault that the next populous city (Aurora) is about 2.7 million people less then the Windy
    City. Think about that next time you are whining about Big Bad Chicago..and imagine how much money you would be getting from the OSFM it wasnt there. I bet it would be a hell of a lot less.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with MIKEY.
    Mr. President; use one of your decrees and make this a happy thread again.
    Remember; we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Maybe my next interview with a famous Mr. Somebody over there will cheer some of you up.
    When I post it, that is!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey, I agree with Mikey, too. We do say a lot about Chicago, but without Chicago we'd have nothing. I had a good friend that was a state rep before he died in an automobile accident. The first couple years he spent doing nothing for us. I found out why. He had to make friends with the Chicago area politicians first. After that, we started getting some things down here. We need the windy city because of all the money they generate for the state. Our fire district is 100 square miles and only has about 2500 residents. There's that many in a block in Chicago, or so it seems. Rural Illinois would not make it without you northerners. Thank you.
    As far as OSFM money getting down here, we're not hurting for support from JT. All we have to do is ask and his office will get us anything humanly possible. Not just us, but the northern part of the state, too.
    Last edited by jboczek; 02-22-2005 at 07:42 PM.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information