Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by dmfireschool; 02-17-2005 at 03:30 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default question

If some one could clear up what this announcement is for? The state of Mass does a mass civil service test for firefighters and each municipality takes their canidates from this list? If someone could clear this up and explain this I would appreciate it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by dmfireschool; 02-17-2005 at 03:32 PM.

Forum Member

Default Re: question

Originally posted by ant195
    If some one could clear up what this announcement is for? The state of Mass does a mass civil service test for firefighters and each municipality takes their canidates from this list? If someone could clear this up and explain this I would appreciate it.
    The next MAssachusetts fire exam is in APRIL 2006. End of discussion.

END OF DISCISSION? Not exactly. To ant195, yes every municipality in Massachusetts takes their candidates from the list but you must get yourself on the list! It's up to you to claim a residency preference if you so desire. When you go to the exam, one of the first forms you must fill out is the Residency Preference Claim Form. At this time, you must declare the cities/towns you are willing to accept employment in. You can claim a total of 4 cities/towns that you will accept employment if notified. You have 2 options. You can either claim 4 cities/towns OR you can claim 3 cities/towns and 1 residentcy preference. Massachusetts law permits cities and towns to ask that residents be placed on entry-level police and firefighter eligible lists BEFORE non-residents. Only those 4 communities you list will review your test score for employment. Obviously, to be a resident in any municipality is a huge advantage and a factor that shouldn't be ignored.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

Thanks reserve172 for clearing that up for me I appreciate it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

No problem. I enjoy sharing any information I can. I think between billjonz and myself, we should be able to help if you have more questions.

Thread Information