Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Never the first to know

Imagine my suprise this am to open the local newspaper and find my dept had won a grant . I'm the primary contact for the dept and was not aware of the award.As a matter of fact,it's 2pm and I still have heard or seen anything official posted on the grant site itself.

Certainly am pleased but feel a bit foolish when the chiefs are calling to ask about the next step in the process. Anybody else have this happen to them?

MembersZone Subscriber sdff1520's Avatar

Yes as a matter of fact the same thing has happened before. You did have some warning with the 1199A and questions...but nothing official. Newspaper here was given press release before I was "officially" notified.
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Interesting...Your Congressional Representative and/or Senator should have gotten notice on Wednesday (assuming they're on the list) and their DC or local office should have called you. At least that's how it works in an office I'm familiar with.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I keep hearing everyone saying that they got a call from their Senator or Representative letting them know about their award. Neither I, nor any department in this area that I am aware of, has ever got a call from our Congresspersons. The only calls I've gotten since the award are from salespeople......
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Nope, not a single call from congressional delegation. Our grant was awarded on October 29th just a few days before the election, and I suspect that the parties had other priorities given the high profile hotly contested races we had in SD last year. Although I must admit I was a bit suprised that neither party took the opportunity to publicly present one of those "big checks" and do the old "look what I did for you" thing. I guess they figured everyone had their mind made up already. Both of our congressmen were in town on the Wednesday preceeding our award for a public appearance / campaign trail stop. After I found out we were being awarded, I was very suprised that the announcement wasn't made by them at that time. Go figure?
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    www.plattevfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

The volunteer depts. around where I am haven't received calls either. Only the city depts. The congress person or Senator's office does receive the notifications on Wednesdays prior to Fridays press release. It's up to them to call the dept. or announce to the press if that's what they choose to do.

Forum Member

Talking

Don't feel bad I checked my email at 4:30 today and then got a phone call from a friend that the local news announced that we were awarded!!!!!!!!! But I'm not complaining!!!! Getting a new tanker!!!!!!

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Your Congressional Representative and Senator's staff may not know that they have to sign up for the list (for this round it's called: DHS Assistance to Firefighters FY 2004 Grant Award(s)).

You can't assume with all that goes on in a day, that they know about it. (Sorry for the reality check there.) I'd post the info here, but I'm not sure it's public, your best bet is to call the local District office and ask if a staff member is on the list. There are several staffers on the list in the office I work at (and that includes the District office). If they're not on the list, then they can probably call the fire grants support number to get information on who to contact to get on the list.
    Last edited by DianeC; 02-18-2005 at 09:12 AM.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Congrats to you bluebird!!! Tanker apparatus is one of our current possibles for FY2005 application. Did you have any tankers already? How many apparatus do you own? What kind of call volume? I'm looking to collect a little data regarding awarded vehicle apps so I can come up with a best guess as to whether we stand a chance applying in the vehicle category?
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    www.plattevfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Rick,
    We also went for a tanker two years ago. Did not make it to peer review. Would be interested in any information that you gather and willing to help or share info from our dept. Yes we do have a tanker, but it is a converted JP Fuel Air Force Tanker and very old. Starting it and running it are always an adventure.
    The only thing that I have been able to come up with is that we did not qualify because we did not have enough responses or we did not qualify because we already had a tanker.
    If anyone has any other ideas, I would gladly discuss, because we are still using our old tanker.
    Thanks,
    Malcolm Cunningham
    Fire Chief - Hardin FPD
    Hardin, MO

Forum Member

Rick,

I'll help in any way I can!!!! We do have a 3500 gallon sstl tanker but we requested to rechassis our existing tanker!! Email me at scottdees@luskvfd.com

Thread Information