Forum Member

Thumbs up Charlotte Fire Department Hiring

For anyone that is interested, Charlotte (NC) Fire Department is currently starting their hiring process. You can go online to Official Charlotte Fire Department and register for the written test which will be on April 16, 2005. If I remember correctly, you have until April 11, 2005 to register for the exam. The website explains the steps to register, which (from what I understand) are all basic. Basically, you'll need an e-mail address, your Social #, etc. Nothing major. After taking the written test, for those that pass, the CPAT will be approx. 10 weeks are so after the exam. I'd certainly recommend training for the CPAT, it's not a joke! Good luck! Hope this information helps!

Forum Member

Didn't Charlotte just finish a round of hiring?

Forum Member

You're right, a new academy began earlier in the year. The ones that will go through this hiring process, once it is all said and done, will only start the academy next winter (2006). That's just how long the process takes! Well, atleast that's what they'll make you think...

MembersZone Subscriber

It seriously takes that long before they re-start the recruit class? Wow... I live in West MD and my sister has a place just south of Charlotte... and she loves it there.. so I was thinking about giving up my current applications to local FD's near DC, AACO, and Baltimore and heading south...

Cpt. Common Sents

Default how many are they hiring

how many are they hiring and what are the recruit class sizes like

Forum Member

Typically, yes.. it does take that long! You'll do your written test, and only about 10 weeks later take the CPAT. So that's about the beginning of July. Then there are interviews, polygraph, application review, physical (medical), drug test, etc (*NOTE* these are not in order!). Also, there will probably be around 1,000 people taking the Civil Exam in April. It is **extremely** competitive, but unlike FDNY, does not require any residence, etc. As long as you can make arrangements to be here when required for hiring, people come from FL, CA, etc. The pay is good, the area is great, and you're not required to live in the city (or Meck. County for that fact).

Classes are usually around 20-30 give or take! More than likely you'll graduate with less than you start with! Nothing is final until you graduate. Period! Not sure how many they're hiring coming up.. usually in the past it has been around 40-60 and spilt into 2 classes. Don't quote me on that.. not sure if that's the case or not!

Charlotte has great opportunities for growth and advancement. I'll try my best to answer any other questions you might have... if I don't know the answer off-hand, I'll do my best to find out!

Forum Member

It is also very very hit or miss with Charlotte. Although I myself have not tried to get on with them i've known guys who have tried and had alot of volunteer experience were physically fit and in good shape but got passed over for people who had never even been in the fire service.

Forum Member

Firefighter... that's true, but like most larger departments.. They don't accept/deny you based on previous experience. It doesn't matter if you've been a Career/Vol. firefighter before, you still have to go through the Academy.. if they don't like something they see, well.. they'll drop you. It's not experience that's truly impressive, it is the ability to be trained, etc. In the end.. it's like most departments.. you just have to appeal to their needs!

MembersZone Subscriber

The academy classes are typically in the 20's. Right now there are three classes going on. Class 70, 71, 72 20 or so in each. The hiring process is very paintaking but it is worth it if you want to work for one of the best departments in the US.

Forum Member

Some have asked me.. so here you go..

All Firefighters are hired at the level of Firefighter I. Starting pay is as follows:

High School Education: $30,681
    Associate's Degree: $32,214
    Bachelor's Degree: $33,826

Bilingual Incentive: Employees who demonstrate proficiency in certain foreign languages are eligible to receive an additional 5% pay incentive upon graduation from the Training Academy.
    Last edited by FTMPTB15; 02-27-2005 at 07:08 PM.

Forum Member

Default anyone hear anything yet?

hey i recently passed the cpat for Charlotte Fire. I know they said about eight weeks until we hear anything possibly ,but i was just curious if anyone has heard anything yet.
    thanks

Thread Information