Default Ferrara Apparatus

Our Central PA company is looking to replace our heavy rescue. Ferrara does not have a presence in our area, there aren't any Ferrara rigs in the county, but their pricing looks attractive in their ads. We would like some input from those who have experience with Ferrara. Are they worth a look ? Over all quality ? Any specific problems ? Warranty and factory support is a concern since they don't have any other rigs in the area.
    Our company is just beginning this process. Should we include Ferrara ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Anything is always worth a look, but IMO something that needs to be given pretty heavy weight in the selection process is local presence and dealer support. You will have maintenance issues, and if the nearest support is not close, you may have some unexpected down time.
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

HI,
    We have had a Ferrea Pumper 1250gpm Hale, 1000 gallons of water for 5 years now. We were the only ones in our area to have one, we had to travel 2 hours to see another department with an engine.
    We have been very happy with the truck, we have had a few problems with the exhaust brake computer sending false signals to the engine computer. This turned out to be a bad jake brake valve in the exhaust pipe. The dealer was very helpful during this time. The compartments are bigger than our similar E-one as well as the hose bed being larger. They were very good to deal with, they asked us what we wanted to do, rather than this is what you will take, E-ONE. For our truck they were about $20000 less for the same truck. They build with the same type of aluminum as Pierce but with the 3/16 that E-One uses. It is a well put together box. I can get pictures if you would like to see any

Stan
    Sharon fire Department
    Sharon, CT

Forum Member

We have a 1999 Ferrara Engine, but we just took delivery of a R.D. Murray heavy rescue. I don't think Ferrara was ever really in the same ballpark as the RD Murray.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Ask for a list of departments who have purchased a similar rig from Ferrara. If their product is any good they should be able to answer the request.

Make sure the list has phone numbers so you can contact the departments.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

If you are located in central PA., why don't you look into a KME. They must be in your backyard. My dept, has a rescue/pumper and we are very happy. We are in the market for a ladder and they have been good to us in that regard as well.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We have 2 Ferrara engines and overall we have been satisfied with them. We have a '92 on a commercial (GMC Topkick) chassis and a '96 custom on a Spartan Advantage chassis. Both have performed well although the '96 has given us some recurring electrical problems, namely, the scene lights keeping cutting off at the most inconvenient times. We think this is because we have 4 Nightfighter lights where the average engine usually has 2, but they didn't add extra breakers to accomodate them. The circuit overheats and shuts down.

I think Ferrara does a good job with body design...both our Ferrara trucks have excellent compartment space, and the ladder-through-the-tank design is a very good feature.

We purchased a new engine in 2000 but Ferrara did not get the bid. At the time we did not have a nice warm fuzzy feeling dealing with them like we did on the first two trucks. I think they were going through a growth period where they bent over backwards for the big city multi-truck contracts, but treated their one-truck-every-five-years customers like stepchildren.

We are working closely with them spec'ing out a new rescue truck at this time. I have to say that our experience has been positive so far, because this time they really look like they want our business. Not sure if they'll get the bid, though, because they're having a hard time getting everything we want into the price range we want to be in.

Ferrara offers some program trucks, including rescues. They have a pretty decent looking heavy rescue design, although I've only seen the specs and pictures. We are designing a medium duty rescue and the program truck looks like our best bet at the moment.

I agree with the others, you have to consider how difficult it will be to get service if Ferrara does not have a big presence in your area. They have a pretty big presence in my area because we are about 1.5 hours from their factory, which also means that service isn't too much of a concern. Remember, even the best-built trucks will have a few bugs to be worked out.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Red face

Originally posted by tjrcfd11
    If you are located in central PA., why don't you look into a KME. They must be in your backyard. My dept, has a rescue/pumper and we are very happy. We are in the market for a ladder and they have been good to us in that regard as well.
    Probably because they know that KME's are junk, compared to Ferrara. You run it enough and it will show you how bad it is.

Be sure you get tamdem axles. That will carry anything you will put on the truck, plus the brakes will be better.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

former FH.com member

I would guess my Dept. has a dozen or so Ferraras. (99-02 models Spartans and Infernos) Overall I think they are pretty nice, the main issues we've had with them are belt slippage on the Infernos and frame issues with the Spartans. Considering the use they get I guess they are holding up ok.

Thanks for the info. Like I said, there just aren't any in the neighborhood so we are looking for some input. The fact that they aren't in our area is a major concern for service and support. There have apparently been some dealer issues in other areas of the state from what we have heard.

There are some KME rigs in the area, so they will get a look. Only one company that I know of ever bought a second one, and that was only a couple years after the first purchase.

Again, thanks for the info.

We have 2 engines, 2 tankers, a service unit, and a brush/rescue unit from Ferrara in our district. We have nothing but praise for them. I have 20 years in the fire service from Connecticut to Louisiana and I can honestly say that I like Ferrara better than any other manufacturer I have opertated with. Good luck in your selection.

home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-nrfd

Thread Information