Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber firepimp's Avatar

Default FL firefighter jobs

I am a fresh brand new baby to the fire service , I have only 1 year of volunteer status , and have averaged to run 60 calls a month.
    I have my FL state standards cert. I am currently in emt classes.
    My county just went paid and I applied and passed the written along with 40 other firefighters , the next day to test out on the big 3 and other testing I showed up late by 20 minutes i was up all night scared and was studying all things I wasnt sure on and ended up being 20 minutes late i was told to go home since I was late and my application was denied. The chief is a friend of mine which kind of sucked and I am so embaressed for being late for something i wanted so badly and everyone in the county was betting that i would get a job because of all the time and hours I have put in volunteering and all the classes I have taken.

Anyways thats my horror story and was wondering how hard is it to find a job , I have had no luck so far and Im willing to try and take any classes possible. Anyone know of anywhere in florida that will hire single certs ??

Forum Member

Off hand, I heard the other day that Miami-Dade Fire Rescue will be accepting applications March 12-26, 2005. Here, if you're interested, I'll save you some time... Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Take it easy, and remember to be at least 30 minutes early! No one will deny your application if you are early, only if you're late.

lol awesome thank you , next time Im going there the night before and sleeping in my truck in the parking lot , or on the front steps lol.

Forum Member

Do what you gotta do to get there on time! You might laugh, but I heard about some guys that drove up from FL, the day before the written exam. By the way, they drove to NC. What they failed to do is "practice" driving from their hotel to the testing site!! They were something like.. 5 minutes late, and sent on there way! Back to FL! Just make sure you know where you are going, and although it might sound cheesy, rehearse the route that you'll take to get there, and always, always have an alternate route!

Forum Member

Nothing cheesy about it. As competitive as the firefighter process is you need every edge you can get. I'm sure Captain Bob will add some of his wisdom about this. Listen to what he has to say.

BTW, sorry but I have no info. on Florida jobs but I believe there is a website devoted just to Florida firefighter jobs. Google search for it.

Good luck

Forum Member

Default Donít be Late!

Your best day in Florida is you already have Florida certs. Check above under the job listings to keep up on who is testing. Iím sure you already know if you were a medic it would be an easier journey. Many a Florida department hires away medics from smaller deparments for more pay, benefits and big city rides.

Donít be Late!

Two things stick in my mind at a Stockton, California written. One candidate drove all night from southern California with his buddies. When they went in, he realized he had forgotten his pictured drivers license. Did they let him take the test? No! He had to go wait outside for these friends to finish the test.

The second thing was a guy I saw running from two blocks away. He was really booting it. High stepping. He was trying to make it before they shut the doors. He wasnít a little bit late. But 20 minutes late. Did they let him in? Absolutely not! No matter what the reason.

I saw this happen at the Phoenix written. No less than 15 people were turned away at the door because they were too late. These folks were more than disappointed. Probably more so now with how many are still in the process. Yes, parking was a problem. But, that was the candidateís problem for not allowing enough time to anticipate the unexpected. I saw some candidates arriving in taxicabs. This was a creative resource. This is something they can use in the oral. As the training officer was turning the late arrivals away at the door he said, ďIf this is how youíre going to be as a firefighter, we donít want you.Ē Brutal? A tough lesson? But, he was right.

The point here is to check everything head to toe and allow more than enough time to get to the written site and relax before you go in. The doors at Phoenix opened at 7:00 A.M. I was with the first to arrive at 6:00 A.M. Here again there were hoards of candidates at a dead run trying to make it when the doors were being closed. Itís a wonder someone didnít have a heart attack. The 02 was definitely needed. Wonder how many of these folks didnít make it through the PT.

Hereís a ďNuggetĒ. When you get to a written, donít talk to anyone; not even your friends. Psych yourself up on the way. Separate yourself for game day. What would happen if someone gave you some news that could throw your written score off? Some news they had received results from a test you both took. That they were going forward in the process. And, you didnít get a letter. Troubling? Would this or any other information like this mess up your mind before a test? You bet.

This even applies at the oral. Orals can often run behind. Several candidates could be in the waiting area at the same time. Do not, I repeat, do not start a conversation. One of our candidates felt the nervous need to start talking to another candidate. He found out this guy was a scientist. He felt he was less and didnít know how he could compete with such overwhelming credentials. He blew his own game plan.

He regrouped on his next test and got a badge. He was probably more qualified than he gave himself credit for. Who knows what happened to the scientist?

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default JOB opening

Seminole Tribe of Florida
    Department of Emergency Services

Is accepting applications for following position:
    Firefighter/Paramedic Firefighter/EMT

Applicants must submit the following certifications at time of application

State of Florida Firefighter II certification per Florida Statutes
    State of Florida Paramedic certification per Florida Statutes
    State of Florida Emergency Medical Technician certification per Florida Statutes
    Emergency Vehicle Operators Course certification- ď E.V.O.CĒ
    Valid Florida Drivers License-Class D with E endorsement
    High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
    Social Security Card
    Birth Certificate
    Candidates are required to pass a written exam, physical agility test, medical exam, drug screening and comprehensive background investigation.

Salary: $39,591.00 plus:

Paramedic pay incentive * Comprehensive benefits package * 24/72 schedule

*Note: To receive incentive, Department Medical Protocol certification must be obtained within 90 days of employment.

http://www.seminoletribe.com/employment/ems.shtml

Or contact Human Resources at 954-966-6300 ext 1136 Applications will be accepted in person at: Seminole Tribe of Florida
    6353 N. 30 th Street (N.E. corner of 64 th Ave & 30 th Street) adjacent to ball field
    Hollywood Fl, 33024

Applications will be accepted from March 7 th thru March 11 th 2005 only

All applicants must bring originals of all required certificates at time of application. Copier will be provided. Incomplete applications will not be processed. All applications mailed, faxed or received by any other method will not be processed. For further information contact The Department of Emergency Services at 863-983-2150, Mon-Fri 9am -5pm

Thank you all for the insite and helpful job postings , I will try and never be late again and I never am , my stepfather always raised me not to be late and i have never been I have never called into work sick always sent home and I've always been to work always 30 minutes or more before.

I believe things happen for a reason , and alot of my friends and volunteers in this county just got news they were hired so I'm so happy for them they deserved it alot of them have put many many years in the county. I will continue my education and strive to become the best emergency response personel I can be. Now I just have to work on emt.

Anyone have any other job postings let me know thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Be happy you have a chance

I live in MA, I am an EMT-B, I took the exam and I got a 97 on the f*&#ing thing. I was #12 on the list of a scheduled hiring of 16....I received a call from the Chief telling me they could not justify hiring me at the current time due to the fact that I was too low on the list. BULL SH*&T.... In MA, its not what you know, how good you are, what kind of person you are, it's who you know. Come to find out that the hiring list is the who's who of current firefighters sons trying to get on.... I got the bump out due to the fact I have no family on the job. Im moving to the Fort Lauderdale area, I have to put myself through the academy, (crazy), then start all over again. So, be happy you have another chance.

Thread Information