MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chicago citizens "cry wolf"

All day I heard about this on the radio, but now heard it on the news of absesive prank 911 calls in Chicago area!

check it out:

http://www.nbc5.com/index.html

'City to fine prank 911 callers'

This reminds me of the story "The Boy who cried wolf."

There was once a sheperd boy who kept his flock at a little distance from the village. Once he thought he would play a trick on the villagers and have some fun at their expense. So he ran toward the village crying out with all his might:
    "Wolf! Wolf! Come and help! The wolves are at my lambs!"
    the kind villagers left their work and ran to the feild to help him. But when they got there the boy laughed at them for their pains; there was no wolf there.
    Still another day the boy tried the same trick, and the villagers came running to help and were laughed at again.
    Then one day a wolf did break into the fold and began killing the lambs. In great fright, the boy ran back for help. "Wolf! Wolf!" he screamed. "There is a wolf in the flock! Help!"
    The villagers heard him, but they thought it was another mean trick; no one paid the least attention, or went near him. And the shepherd boy lost all his sheep.
    That is the kind of thing that happens to people who lie: even when they do tell the truth they will not be believed.~Aesop

Thankfully those in the public service will always be there for their citizens, even those that cry "wolf!"
    Last edited by JorieH; 02-19-2005 at 12:57 AM.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

The direct link to the story:
    http://www.nbc5.com/news/4212798/det...94&dppid=65195

I always thought if you prank called 911 once, you got a fine, not that after 50 calls in 6 months you get one. I know that paramedics can be called to an elderly persons home a lot because the person may be lonely, and I suppose that is problem if you are in an area where paramedics hardly get to eat a meal they are so busy. I think that people who call just a couple times with false reports should be getting a fine, because 911 should not be abused, along with the responders who have to follow up on these calls.

Thread Information