MembersZone Subscriber

Default Slap me a "High 4 & 1/2"

I tell this story a lot when I teach my Train-the-Trainer extrication classes. I'm at a large 1-day seminar where about 300 participants are divided into different extrication classes for the day. We spread out over a large area to have a separate area to teach in. One group cannot see the other, that is how big this place is.

I am teaching Advanced Extrication that day. In another area, they are teaching Bus Rescue. Another group does rescue scenarios all day, and so on.

I'm given a portable radio to keep in touch with the Staff if I need anything. We all start our classes at 08:00am. At 08:45, I hear the Basic Vehicle Rescue Group radio say "Can we move some cars to get the ambulance in here?" A few moments later, I hear another voice say "Never mind, he's going in his personal vehicle".

At lunch time I asked one of the Staff members what that radio traffic was all about earlier this morning. He tells me that the Lead Instructor for the Basic class pointed where he wanted a student to place the tips of the power spreader at a door hinge. The student apparently did just that. He placed the tips there, caught the instructor's finger between the tool and the hinge and operated the spreader. It instantly crushed then cut his finger in two.

Other instructors there said that half of the injured instructor's finger remained in his glove when he took it off.

Moral of the story... point with a pointer, a car antennae, a windshield wiper arm, a yardstick, something. Don't point with your pointer!

Next time I see you, I want you to be able to slap me a "High Five", not a "High 4 & 1/2".
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the anectdote, Ron.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I remember that. I was instructing the next group over when that event transpired. Ever since then we've had antennas or something else to point with.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

YEEEEEOUCH ! ...as usual thanks for the good info Ron.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Forest said it very well; "Stupid is as stupid does".

Forum Member

Default OUCH!

I've seen someone get their finger smashed after saying...."hit it here..." (fellow with the beater was in midswing...)but I believe this takes the prize......

Ouch, my finger hurts just thinking of it.!
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Thread Information