MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2006 M-Class Crash Test Image

Offset frontal crash test image released by Mercedes Benz-USA for their 2006 M-Class SUV model.

Instructors, if you're teaching to cut the 'Upper Rail' before rolling or jacking a dash, note that the Upper Rail already has a "relief" in it due to the crumple zone.

Also note the overlap of the rear door and the C-pillar. If rescuers aren't careful, this is where they will wind up simply peeling the skin off the door when they work to force it open.

Make sure your personnel know how to do a 'vertical crush' with a spreader inserted in the window opening. This scenario would be a perfect example of when that technique would be the method of choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Relief cut *behind* the wheel's

Ron.

All of the training I've been given regarding dash lift evolutions specify that the relief cut should be made behind the center of the front wheel(s).

Can you think of any reason NOT to crush/cut the upper rail in instances where the front suspension/wheel assembly is displaced?

Also, would you cut/crush behind the original center of the suspension to avoid trying to hinge there, or behind the new displaced wheel/suspension so you've got a solid point to pivot the dash on?

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: 2006 M-Class Crash Test Image

Hello!
    Originally posted by rmoore
    Also note the overlap of the rear door and the C-pillar. If rescuers aren't careful, this is where they will wind up simply peeling the skin off the door when they work to force it open.
    I could share some experience with this door overlap I got when I watched a crash-test last year (working for a big car-manufacutre).

After the test the front door didn't open, there was no gap beetween the doors and the posts. We tried to open the rear door and it opend. After that it was possible to open the front door as well, I think because the tension on the post were reduced.

Teaching point: Try before you pry and try again when conditions change!
    Jorg Heck
    Moditech Rescue Solutions B.V.
    http://www.moditech.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Vertical Crush

Ron wouldn't this be a vertical spread or am I missing something here. Perhaps you could explain what exactly you are calling a vertical crush?
    Thanks
    burn
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Vertical Crush

Good pictures by the way Ron.

Are there more we can use for examples?

Forum Member

Default ?Vertical Crush?

Hmmm? Well let's see, If we are trying to get a viable purchase point, I would guess that what we are calling a vertical crush would be to slide the jaws over the door close to the center of the opening (or whatever will produce the most movement)and "crushing" the outside of the door to the inside of the door thereby sometimes producing a very nice purchase point.

Of course, that is just a guess having never heard the phrase vertical crush.
    Last edited by spearsm; 02-21-2005 at 01:17 PM.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default vertical spread /crush

I think they are reffering to the act of spreading vertically between the roof and the bottom of the door opening. The result being a (vertical)crushing of the door, and either diplacing the latch from the nader pin or opening a space between the door and the C post where a traditional spread can occur.

FIGJAM

Vertical crush, vertical spread, etc.

This raises another point in that it'd be great to see a universal list of terminology and techniques right around the world....
    Luke

Forum Member

spears and rualfire, you're talking about 2 different methods to get a purchase point, but either one should work. I, personally, would call the one spears described as being the "vertical crush" and the one rualfire described as the the "vertical spread"................
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

`77, I was sitting there thinking about those two methods. But ya know, there is no telling what exactlythey meant. Lutan is correct. When there is no common terminology, it tends to cloud the conversation. I have seen where a piece of sandpaper was listed as a "flexible file". Try finding that using common sense terminology.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

Originally posted by spearsm
    `77, I was sitting there thinking about those two methods. But ya know, there is no telling what exactlythey meant. Lutan is correct. When there is no common terminology, it tends to cloud the conversation. I have seen where a piece of sandpaper was listed as a "flexible file". Try finding that using common sense terminology.
    I agree 100%..... We need common terms for this stuff.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Terminolgy

This to funny, I asked this question wondering if he was going for a purchase point or doing something I wasn't aware of, why would you need a purchase point on this when spreaders would more then likely pop the door open....(perhaps pt to close to door, air curtain in the roof, roof may tair off) whatever. Thanks Ron (Spears) for the information it was very helpful
    I suggest we get a Extrication Dictionary for dummies, I would be the first one to buy one!
    Great entertainment...and cheap too!
    burn
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Vertical Crush

Hello!
    Originally posted by rualfire
    Are there more we can use for examples?
    Do you mean pictures showing crash-tests or do you mean pictures showing the new M-class?
    Jorg Heck

MembersZone Subscriber

Default More

JorgHeck.

More crash test result pics please. Our region deals with full sized pickup trucks, SUV's, mini-van's, sedan's, compact's etc.

Aside from the big 3 american manufacturer's we see lots of Honda, Toyota, Volkswagon, Hyundia, and Nissan products.

Next popular would be Volvo, and maybe into BMW and Mercede's(condsidered luxury cars here)

Not too many hybrid's on the roads here.

I guess I'd be most interested to see how different classes of vehicles fair in offset head-on collisions.

I've seen some discussions (not sure if it was here) about how pickup's with 4 doors and no B post fair in head-on's. My memory says that they tend to fold where the doors meet.

Anything you can provide would be greatly appreciated, and will help us to understand the forces at work better.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello rualfire!

I've to search for some interessting photos and have to redcue the size so that I could post them.

Here is a link with some interessting crash-test videos you might watch: http://www.progressive.com/RC/VSafet...ash_videos.asp.

I think many cars today do well in crash-test conditions, safety sells. In most of the cars there will be no extrication necassary when the speed of the crash and the kind of crash complies with the (frontal) crashtest. So you see that this is not a criterion without fail because we still respond to crashes with trapped occupants in newer cars.
    Jorg Heck

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks!

Great Video!

Thanks for pointing me to it.

Don't worry too much about shrinking your pics. I can take stills from these video's if needed.

Thread Information