Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Standard or Fitted Turnout Gear?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    I don't think he been an Astronaut, as of today! He may be on the next Shuttle!!!
    Don't threaten me with a GOOD time. OR LAUNCH,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    I don't think he been an Astronaut, as of today! He may be on the next Shuttle!!!
    With any luck, it will be a one-manned, one way trip....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Look, don't take my word for it. Go check your gear and tell me how many sets have custom measurements in them? You try so hard to make me look bad that you end up looking the fool. This isn't the first thread where you have succeeded at that.
    Hmmm..... my gear has name and measurements printed on a label built into the coat. My gear fits me like a glove.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Really? What haven't you done?
    I think I saw him on an episode of Ax Men one time.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Look, don't take my word for it. Go check your gear and tell me how many sets have custom measurements in them? You try so hard to make me look bad that you end up looking the fool. This isn't the first thread where you have succeeded at that.
    Anytime you want to come to the Metro Baton Rouge area I can take you to many departments that only order "Fit to order" gear. I know we have at least 600 sets on the floor in my department. If your gear is mismatched it is because you needed temporary gear from supply. If your department is to poor or cares that little about their member it is not a general reflection on all departments.
    Your right ScareCrow57. CaptainGonzo please stop making, or trying to make a fool of ScareCrow57. He is doing that quite nicely all by himself.
    Have a nice day.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Hmmm..... my gear has name and measurements printed on a label built into the coat. My gear fits me like a glove.
    Doesn't take much to build a custom label and sew it onto a standard coat.

MembersZone Subscriber

Doesn't take much to build a custom label and sew it onto a standard coat.
    If that is your retort you once again show your limited knowledge of fire equipment, but that should not come as a surprise.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Acklan View Post
    Anytime you want to come to the Metro Baton Rouge area I can take you to many departments that only order "Fit to order" gear. I know we have at least 600 sets on the floor in my department. If your gear is mismatched it is because you needed temporary gear from supply. If your department is to poor or cares that little about their member it is not a general reflection on all departments.
    Your right ScareCrow57. CaptainGonzo please stop making, or trying to make a fool of ScareCrow57. He is doing that quite nicely all by himself.
    Have a nice day.
    Have you ever gotten a custom tailored suit? You pick the standard size off the rack. Then you put the suit on. The tailor then fits it to your body while you have it on. In my case, my left leg is about 1 inch shorter than my left. In fact, many people have one leg shorter than the other. So when my suits are custom fitted they are in fact custom.

How do you measure for TO gear? You measure the chest, from the middle of the back down the bent arm to the wrist (one only), you measure the waist, you measure the inseam. They don't take nearly enough measurements to custom fit the suit.

Globe Measurement Instructions

Or heck, go over here and try to order some gear The Fire Store Turnout Gear

Better yet, ask your salesman, if he is honest he will tell you there is no such thing as custom tailored gear. In fact, to customize the gear would take some expensive equipment on on-site sizing.

Banned

If that is your retort you once again show your limited knowledge of fire equipment, but that should not come as a surprise.
    Be careful there sonny. Show me where someone has custom tailored gear? Show me one manufacture that says they sell custom fitted gear. You can't do it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Be careful there sonny. Show me where someone has custom tailored gear? Show me one manufacture that says they sell custom fitted gear. You can't do it.
    We have the manufacture (not salesman) come to the department and fit every fire fighter that will receive new gear. We refuse to accept any gear that does not fit as measured. I am sure you have worn many "off the rack suites", but I am finding it hard to believe you have every worn new bunker gear. That maybe your problem, you recent having to ware "Hand-me-downs". Poor you . Once again your lack of knowledge of the fire service only draws a sigh.
    Sonny? Cute. Condescending quips are all you have? You do know most fire stations will allow you to come by and visit? You can go and talk with the fire fighters, and paramedic. All you have to do is ask and they will let you ware their bunkers (That is the fire coat and pants). Why don't you come out of your mother's basement, get in your '92 Honda Civic and trot down and see the firemen. You may even get one of the cool plastic "Junior Fireman" badges.
    3.8 GPA? So sad, what a waste.
    sbainphoto likes this.

Banned

We have the manufacture (not salesman) come to the department and fit every fire fighter that will receive new gear. We refuse to accept any gear that does not fit as measured. I am sure you have worn many "off the rack suites", but I am finding it hard to believe you have every worn new bunker gear. That maybe your problem, you recent having to ware "Hand-me-downs". Poor you . Once again your lack of knowledge of the fire service only draws a sigh.
    You get measured for the gear, the manufacturer then goes to the rack and picks a set based on those measurements. I have a set right now that actually has my name on the label as well. it is my second set of new TO gear.

Perhaps you missed it, I used to sell TO gear. I know for a fact, 99% of all sets of TO gear are standard off the shelf sizes.

MembersZone Subscriber

You get measured for the gear, the manufacturer then goes to the rack and picks a set based on those measurements. I have a set right now that actually has my name on the label as well. it is my second set of new TO gear.

Perhaps you missed it, I used to sell TO gear. I know for a fact, 99% of all sets of TO gear are standard off the shelf sizes.
    It is very convenient that you have seem to have done so much when call to task about your opinion, or reported facts while rebuttals to your "facts" go unanswered. You need to be around people (preferably people that hold meaningful jobs) more and live some real life experiences. There is more to life than "Dragons and Dungeons".
    I too sold fire equipment, for Southland Fire Equipment out of Gonzales, La. I also wrote the species for our gear when we went from 45" trench coat style to coat\pants bunker gear. I have visited the Janesville and Globe factories. If you would have put thought into your answer you would realize how ridiculous you sound. There are so many combination making gear like you suggest that the manufacture could not keep them on the shelf.
    You have such a sad little life.
    BTW: Are you going to try and get out a visit a fire station? I think you would enjoy that adventure.

MembersZone Subscriber

In my case, my left leg is about 1 inch shorter than my left.
    Care to explain this?

Custom fit gear is total different than a tailored suit.

Banned

It is very convenient that you have seem to have done so much when call to task about your opinion, or reported facts while rebuttals to your "facts" go unanswered. You need to be around people (preferably people that hold meaningful jobs) more and live some real life experiences. There is more to life than "Dragons and Dungeons".
    I too sold fire equipment, for Southland Fire Equipment out of Gonzales, La. I also wrote the species for our gear when we went from 45" trench coat style to coat\pants bunker gear. I have visited the Janesville and Globe factories. If you would have put thought into your answer you would realize how ridiculous you sound. There are so many combination making gear like you suggest that the manufacture could not keep them on the shelf.
    You have such a sad little life.
    BTW: Are you going to try and get out a visit a fire station? I think you would enjoy that adventure.
    And what species of gear did you get??? If you have been in those factories then you know there is no such thing as custom manufactured TO gear.

You really need to get a grasp of the English language. Your post is so horrible it is nearly impossible to follow. I can understand an occasional mistake or misspelling, but this is so bad it takes away any possible credibility that might be buried in the message.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    Care to explain this?

Exactly. A tailored suit is custom tailored to the individual. The custom fit gear you buy is no more custom fit than the Blue Jeans you buy at Wal Mart. You get measured and the pull the closest match off the shelf. This gear is not hand sewn, it is sewn by a machine. The machines are set up and they make one size, then they put in a new setup and make the next size.

Forum Member

You know, Scarecrow... you should really heed the last line in your signature...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    sbainphoto likes this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Exactly. A tailored suit is custom tailored to the individual. The custom fit gear you buy is no more custom fit than the Blue Jeans you buy at Wal Mart. You get measured and the pull the closest match off the shelf. This gear is not hand sewn, it is sewn by a machine. The machines are set up and they make one size, then they put in a new setup and make the next size.
    I know the difference between an off the self suit and a tailored suit. A suit is different than bunker gear. We are measured for our gear and then after they pull the stock gear off the shelf it is altered to fit our measurement.

I was wanting you to explain the left is shorter than the left thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

And what species of gear did you get??? If you have been in those factories then you know there is no such thing as custom manufactured TO gear.

You really need to get a grasp of the English language. Your post is so horrible it is nearly impossible to follow. I can understand an occasional mistake or misspelling, but this is so bad it takes away any possible credibility that might be buried in the message.
    I apologize for the poor grammar. I attempted to abbreviate specifications rather than spelling the entire word. I should have paid closer attention in eight grade, but I did not want to be a writer or teacher so it did not hold my attention. Much like you not wanting to be a fire fighter and not retaining base fire fighting knowledge. Again I apologize. Please bare with me.
    Who did you sell equipment for? What brand of gear did you sell? I did visit the factories and watched as the workers sewed the gear and place in the bags for shipment.

Banned

I know the difference between an off the self suit and a tailored suit. A suit is different than bunker gear. We are measured for our gear and then after they pull the stock gear off the shelf it is altered to fit our measurement.

I was wanting you to explain the left is shorter than the left thing.
    I highly doubt it is modified to your exact measurements unless you are either really small or really large or have an odd shaped body. Honestly, when you are measured they don't take enough measurements to custom fit it. You measure the chest, the arm length, the inseam and the waist. To be a custom fit you would have to measure both arms and both legs. You would have to measure the stomach. You would have to measure the diameter of the arms and thighs. You would have to measure the length of the torso. Yo would need to measure the length of the upper leg and lower leg. You would have to measure the length from the wrist tot he elbow and from the elbow to the shoulder.

So unless someone is coming in and taking all of those measurements or a tailor is coming in to modify after you try the gear on you are getting standard sizes.

As for the leg, My left leg was about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch shorter all through my life, it often leads to back aches. I got worse after a knee surgery. You will find that nobody is perfectly symmetric, there are differences between your arms, legs, eyes, even the two sides of your brain. These are just facts of life.

Banned

I apologize for the poor grammar. I attempted to abbreviate specifications rather than spelling the entire word. I should have paid closer attention in eight grade, but I did not want to be a writer or teacher so it did not hold my attention. Much like you not wanting to be a fire fighter and not retaining base fire fighting knowledge. Again I apologize. Please bare with me.
    Who did you sell equipment for? What brand of gear did you sell? I did visit the factories and watched as the workers sewed the gear and place in the bags for shipment.
    Constructive criticism although in a humorous sort of sarcastic way. Too many people don't pay attention to their writing and when someone is reading the written word they formulate an opinion about the author. That is why it is good to try to practice good grammar at all times. If you always try to write good it will become second nature. I cringe when i see teachers and educators writing emails or forum post that don't use good English Grammar. It's that old thing about practice like you play.

I sold the Viking gear. But also had the opportunity to talk with other factory reps. As a newbie in the business I asked the question. I figured they were using CAD and inputting the values and that each coat and pants was built to those specs. Seems my assumptions were wrong. Good thing I have a strong sense of humor.....

It was explained to me that the resources and equipment were simply not there.

They will say that the gear is custom fitted, which is different than built to fit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Constructive criticism although in a humorous sort of sarcastic way. Too many people don't pay attention to their writing and when someone is reading the written word they formulate an opinion about the author. That is why it is good to try to practice good grammar at all times. If you always try to write good it will become second nature. I cringe when i see teachers and educators writing emails or forum post that don't use good English Grammar. It's that old thing about practice like you play.
    Thank you. Point well taken. You mean, "It is not practice that makes perfect, it is perfect practice that makes perfect."?

I sold the Viking gear. But also had the opportunity to talk with other factory reps. As a newbie in the business I asked the question. I figured they were using CAD and inputting the values and that each coat and pants was built to those specs. Seems my assumptions were wrong. Good thing I have a strong sense of humor.....

It was explained to me that the resources and equipment were simply not there.

They will say that the gear is custom fitted, which is different than built to fit.
    I have never been to the Viking factory, but when I visited the Janesville plant back in 1987 they were making gear to the specification measured by the representatives that had traveled from the plant to my department. Maybe it was a "Dog and pony show" but it looked convincing.

Forum Member

Care to explain this?

Now he sounds like Shooter McGavin.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information