Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Synthetic winch rope

Being an avid jeeper, the current trend is to have synthetic winch rope. It is about twice as strong, is durable, does not store energy to whip back upon break, will not kink, etc. All the extreme off roading competition leagues require the use of synthetics for safety.

So we need to replace the wire winch cable on our warn 9000 on our rescue rig after one use; so I was wondering if anyone has used it in this in this application. any issues? I really think that this is the way to go, but I have never seen it used for emergency service so it makes me think that I am missing something.

Comments?

Forum Member

I strongly suggest speaking with your winch mfg, the rope mfg, and consult the J706 Standard for winches. That may shed some light onto your interest.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

MembersZone Subscriber

what is the j706 standard and where do I find it?

Forum Member

The J706 standard is an industry standard for industrial grade winches. Please consult a reputable winch mfg. for details.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Synthetic is twice as strong as what?Synthetic won't store energy and whip.SINCE WHEN? There are as many types and breeds of synthetic "recovery"material as there are hairs on a dog.Some good,some deadly.I use synthetics every day,but only for certain applications and NEVER on my winch.It's not so much what you put on the spool as what you carry in your grey matter.ALL WINCHING OPERATIONS REGARDLESS OF ROPE MATERIAL can be DEADLY if you don't know rigging,winch capacity,terminations,resistan ce,and load.I've been running winches for over 40 years and the ONLY time I've ever used a synthetic line was working around electrical equipment.For vehicle rescue,I much prefer a AMERICAN made WIRE rope,steel centered.Much less chance of cutting it on a raw edge,less crush,and less elongation. There is a place for synthetics,but in my opinion,not on life safety vehicle rescue.Trust me,if they were that much better every recovery company in the US would be using them.Currently I do not know of any professional towing outfit using synthetic winch rope.Further questions,please post them. T.C.

Last edited by vincentb; 03-29-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Thread Information