Default Not Fit And Want To Be

Can anyone offer some advice to me on getting fit?

I was a vollie for 3-ys. during that time we had 200-300 runs/yr. and I didnt keep in shape.(lost the will to actually)

I am no longer with a fire dept. but I am wanting to get in shape so when the time is available for me to join again I can and be in shape to do they work.

I am 5'11 and approx. 185lbs.(is that correct lbs for my height)

I also would like to know if a vollie dept. can be in ff combat challenge?

Thumbs up reply on getting in shape

I always Found it easy when getting ready for a drill to find some stairs they dont have to be very big or long and just run up and down them and increase the amount of time you do this to get a better work out. Also find some weight and strap it to youre back to represent your tanks and gear. Hope you rejoin soon.

Youre fellow firefighter,
    Gary V

Forum Member

If you want to invest some money, I just bought myself an elliptical trainer and love it! I have been doing a 20 minute programmed routine on it for just 5 days now and I already can feel improvement in my stamina and less pain in my arthritic knees.
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 02-22-2005 at 06:06 PM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Investment

Originally posted by MetalMedic
    If you want to invest some money, I just bought myself an eliptical trainer and love it! I have been doing a 20 minute programmed routine on it for just 5 days now and I already can feel improvement in my stamina and less pain in my arthritic knees.
    Just what I need... another $500 laundry hanger.

Forum Member

I have been gone from these forums about a year or two(?) now. Last I was here, I was going to try that Subway diet.

It failed miserably.

The other week my Doc said that he thought I might have already had an infarction when I went in for a check-up. Later on he said he misspoke, and was just wondering, not pronouncing.

In the meantime though, I have now lost 18 pounds over a three week period, and am still working on loosing more. For a person like me that has no will-power, this is amazing. Each day I watch what I eat (Yeah, I know that old joke, so let's skip it), joined Weight-Watchers being held at our local hospital, and have been exercising regularly as possible with two kids underfoot.

Fit? Not for a long time yet, but I know it is possible. I never lost this much this fast, and am still going down. It can be done, and I will now do it. I am not about to be a statistic.

This (yours truly) Doc's prescription. Eat healthy and in moderation, and exercise, and feel just a tad hungry. Your stomach will shrink and you will feel as satisfied with less food.

The Doc is out now.

PS. Nice to see that as long as I have been away, some things don't change. Hello there, Metalmedic!
    Last edited by DocLaw; 02-22-2005 at 05:39 PM.

Forum Member

Default Re: Investment

Originally posted by rualfire

Just what I need... another $500 laundry hanger.
    I have a couple of those too... but this is more interesting to use and doesn't require the set-up that most fitness crap seems to need. Once it is assembled, you just stretch a little and get on it for the ride. Mine is a nicer one with a digital display which I would recommend. I would also suggest having a television or at least a stereo in the room with you since it is boring to sit there and just pedal the thing. Mine cost about $350.00 from Amazon . Here is the one that I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...goods&n=507846

but there are others there to look at. Some cost more, some cost less.

And HELLO Doc! You have been missed!
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 02-22-2005 at 06:05 PM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Talking

Ha, just be happy you guys don't EXCEED the weight limits for those devices! Can't buy anything on television (save for the Total Gym and Bowflex) because of that.

The Doc Is Out Now.
    General McAuliffe said it best, "Nuts".

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Progress report. Now down 25 pounds. 12 since joining Weight Watchers.
    Eating less, eating healthier, and exercising some. Only 148 to go until I am at college weight again. (And some of you thought you had problems!)

The Doc is out now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Keep up the good work brother.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

For those who might need encouragement. Loosing 25 feels like I lost 100. No huffing and puffing after climbing stairs. Standing taller more often, feeling better 100% of the time. Less feelings of stress. I can go on and on, but if you want to add to this, all you have to do is start, and if you blow a day eating big somewhere, just start again the next day, you don't backslide totally with just one day blown. My pants are ready to fall down now, but I cannot let that happen as I would not want all the husbands and boyfriends in town mad at me because their women would never be satisfied again!

(No delusions here, just illusions!

The Doc is out now.

Forum Member

Talking Update

Been for the most part continually happy. Each week has been a loosing week though one was only for a pound and ounces. (Yeah, I know how I probably could have gotten rid of another pound fast but I just couldn't that weigh-in night! )
    Anyway, for the update, it is now 40 pounds lost and continuing. Now that spring has come I am out on my bicycle more. Riding as much as possible - with gas at $2.29, I have some incentive, too. Walking for the Sunday papers, etc... Trying to be more active. It has shown with my turnout gear, too. My coat overlaps and soon I will have to cinch my pants in. Bad thing was that we got a grant for new turnout gear, and I was measured larger than what I had - all before I started to loose weight - so I am really swimming. However, being the new Millenium fabric, it does not feel as bad. Really can move in that new gear! I figure I will get the gear of the first guy to leave that fits me. Hope they don't sweat too much in the meantime!
    Well, that's the update. Only 133 more to go until I am college weight again!

The Doc is out now.

PS, the funny thing is, that as large as I am, the one comment I hear the most is how women notice I have lost weight by checking out my butt! Weird!

MembersZone Subscriber

GREAT JOB DOC! Keep going! Perhaps the underlying success in your journey has been the change in lifestyle, not just eating or losing weight. Changing eating habits, exercising, and increasing activity aren't always easy, but nevertheless beneficial. I wish you continued success.

Just be aware that at some point your body may plateau in your fat loss. When your body begins losing fat too quickly, it kicks in its survival mode and slows down it's metabolism. I was going to give you some advice, but if what you're doing now is working...STICK TO IT. When and if you plateau, your calories must be adjusted. Also, if you're looking for some awesome recipes, check out Gourmet Nutrition E-book at johnberadi.com. Plenty of healthy varieties for you.
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

Forum Member

Talking

Go slow? I'm a former Government worker! I KNOW how to go slow!!!

The Doc Is Out Now (still figuring out how to get that Code 3 lightbar on my bike as the weather is nice today!)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Not Fit And Want To Be

Originally posted by michael2005
    Can anyone offer some advice to me on getting fit?

I was a vollie for 3-ys. during that time we had 200-300 runs/yr. and I didnt keep in shape.(lost the will to actually)

I am no longer with a fire dept. but I am wanting to get in shape so when the time is available for me to join again I can and be in shape to do they work.

I am 5'11 and approx. 185lbs.(is that correct lbs for my height)

I also would like to know if a vollie dept. can be in ff combat challenge?
    First of all, if you work out you really can't go by the charts to determine your ideal bodyweight because muscle weighs more than fat. It's better to determine your body fat percentage.
    Now, there is SO MUCH you can do to start getting fit. Here are a few basic things you can do to get you started.
    * Add a daily multivitamin to your diet
    * Make sure you're getting enough sleep (7-9 hrs)
    * Replace white bread and past with whole wheat
    * Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
    * Begin a light workout routine. You could start out with two full
    body workout per week. Make sure they're at least two days apart.
    Start out light and concentrate on your form.
    * Drink plenty of water. Try to replace soda with sparkling water.

Forum Member

It seems that no one has replied to your question "Can a volunteer FF compete in the Firefighters Combat Challenge?" The answer to that is "YES". I am getting ready for my 13 season in the challenge, all as a volunteer,and this year wearing the red lid of a Lt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you getting ready for Haverhill?

Forum Member

Having to pass as a competitor for Haverhill but will be in Deerfield the following week. Hoping to find some one to team up with for the tandem relay but have not had any luck so far. May be in Haverhill as a spectator though.

Forum Member

So, DocLaw....what's the update? I bet you're feeling great about now, eh??

Forum Member

I started going to a gym because I gained 27 lbs. after a little bout with depression. (homesickness)
    I started going to a gym last Tuesday and on the treadmill I could never do more than 2.0 mph and I have now worked up to 3.0 mph, but mostly 2.5 mph. I used to go 30 min. at the most and yesterday I went 40 min.
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

MembersZone Subscriber

GREAT JOB of TAKING ACTION! Your enthusiasm and energy are evident. Just remember a new program should be progressed gradually. For example, if you go from A to Z and skip over B-Y, there's nowhere to progress after that. Find a comfortable range and rhythm and work from there!

I want to hear your updates!

Forum Member

Just lost my first 3 lbs!
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

MembersZone Subscriber

SWEET! What have you done differently?

Forum Member

Talking

Did not want to bore anybody with weekly or bi-weekly updates.

Progress has been slowed by a couple weeks of negative ground gaining, and lacking of willpower, as well as that plateau effect.
    Currently, the total lost is 46 pounds. Since I have stocked up the refrigerator with enough salad stuff to last another day, I will be having to make a trip to the grocery store this weekend lest I suffer the cravings for food that the rest of the family eats, but I may not partake of, for fear I loose all my food points in a gulp or two.
    Oh, the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune!

Dang storms around here the past couple days have me off my bike, too. Arg!!! So I worked on fencing the garden and mowing a drier portion of the lawn during lunch hour to compensate. Now I have to dry off a bit before my clients come in. Hah!

The Doc is out now.

Forum Member

Talking

Originally posted by Conster74
    Tips for making it EASIER...

Do not think of exercise as huffing and puffing on a $500 "laundry hanger"... come to think of it you really don't need any extra special equipment...
    and of course EVERYONE's favorite stand by -- sex!!!

I've been married 15 years as of yesterday. What is this "Sex" thing you speak of, stranger?

The Doc is out - sadly out, now

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Doc,

KEEP IT UP!! The fact that you're losing willpower and have plateaued suggests your body might be kicking in to survival mode and slowing down its metabolism. A couple of little adjustments might be just what you need. How many calories are you eating per day?

Thread Information