Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default I think I have it

Originally posted by dburnemti
    It would also help a little to know what assessment system you are using. There are two being taught out there right now.

1- Pre Hospital Trauma Life Support ( PHTLS )
    2- Basic Trauma Life Support ( BTLS )

I sent you a PM about the two, so I will just wait to hear back, but I honestly couldn't tell you which one we are using I am just going to assume BTLS till I find out otherwise.

Okay, so I think I have the assessment down, what I am doing is checking everything individually for any signs of swelling, deformities, blood...going from the top of the head down to the toes. Now when I get to the hands and toes, can I have them test their motor skills, like have them squeeze my fingers as hard as they can, or push/pull against my hand? (if I am checking the feet).

OKay, let me get this on an even bigger picture. I show up at a scene, use PPE, assess scene for any hazards, ask patients name, what happened, etc. That will allow me to check airway if they respond and how they respond. From there I check breathing, depth/rate/condition. if that is all good I check circulation...so ABC's. from there I would go into my patient assessment from head to toe. If I find anything life threatening treat it. Then once that is finished and I finished the assessment, do I got into a secondary assessment and do SAMPLE and get vitals? Is that how it all works together as a big picture?
    Last edited by wannabeFFgurl; 04-14-2005 at 12:26 PM.
    _______
    "There is no expiration date on your birth certificate, so make every day count" - William Phelps from "Lethal Guardian"

Forum Member

BURNSY BURNSY BURNSY - PHTLS and BTLS are advanced courses. EMR is the basic assessment to find priority symptoms. So forget about BTLS until you do your EMT.

Ok as for your assessment - Arrive on scene, Check time (just in case your missing something on tv), Check for hazards to your team and to the patient (ladders,cars, electrical, dogs, cats, squirrels), Look for Number of patients, Look for mechanism of injury, Are their any bystanders (if yes get bystander info), make a judgment call on wether or not you need back up (scenario land you will ALWAYS need back up.
    Recapp
    -PPE
    -Time
    -Hazard Check
    -Number of patients
    -Mechanism of injury
    -Bystander info
    -Looking for deadly bleeds and angulated fractures.
    -CALL FOR BACKUP.
    Once you have done that you can approach your patient. If its trauma always take c-spine immediatly. Check Airway (open and clear), Breathing (rate,depth,quality) apply oxygen now. Circulation (Rate,Rythm,Quality). Once ABC are taken care off then you can begin your primary head to toe exam. When you are doing your exam check the feet for Pulse, motor and sensation - same with the Hands.

Your primary survey should only be stopped to deal with life threatening emergencies (ie deadly bleed needs to be addressed immediatly, Changes to airway breathing and circulation). All other injuries make note off and deal with later. If the patient has a broken limb have one of you backup hold MANUAL STABILIZATION until such time that you are able to package appropriatly (usually during secondary exam enroute to hospital).

Hopefully that doesnt confuse you too much - its a lot to remember.

P.S. I think this thread has officially been hijacked
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Default awesome

can squirrels be considered a hazard?? lol Is there a story here somewhere Dave? This is perfect, I am going to print that and staple it to my binder for future reference!

I knew it would be hijacked as soon as you asked how my EMR course was going...lol THANKS!!
    _______
    "There is no expiration date on your birth certificate, so make every day count" - William Phelps from "Lethal Guardian"

MembersZone Subscriber dburnemti's Avatar

Default Re: I think I have it

Originally posted by wannabeFFgurl

Then once that is finished and I finished the assessment, do I got into a secondary assessment and do SAMPLE and get vitals? Is that how it all works together as a big picture?
    After you finish your Primary Survey( or rapid trauma assessment)then you determine the Pt is " load and go ". Package and move into the ambulance ( make sure to verbalize who is with you in the back and who is driving), recheck ABC's after moving Pt and delegate vitals to your partner in the back. Then you start your Secondary assessment looking over the whole body again and treating any other injuries found and checking any interventions you did in your Primary assessment( Pressure on Bleeding, Occlusive dressings etc.)

Then when you get that done, recheck vitals again ( good rule of thumb is every 5 minutes on an unstable Pt) and then you go to your ongoing exam where you recheck all of your interventions( splinting, dressings, compliancy of BVM and OPA if you had to ventilate your unconcious Pt, ABC's)If your Pt is alert ask if he/she is feeling better or worse than when you first began care. Patch to the hospital and start all over if you have time.

It would be nice if I could video a scenario being done and let you see how easy it can all flow together. Once you get the hang of it it will be quite easy and come as second nature, but it seems like quite the information overload right now.
    Dave Burn
    (EMT-P Student)
    Effort only fully releases it's reward on someone who refuses to quit!

Well I will be printing that off too, thanks dburnemti. Its all making alot more sense now that I can see the steps and there isn't a whole different chapter in between the steps.

Now that would be nice to see, a video scenario. I keep thinking back to when I spend a shift with Dave404 on the ambulance and what they did, but you know, I can't remember much about that call except that I forgot where suction was, even thought I was sitting beside it on the way to the call so much for "not panicking"..lol. I wonder what my library has in that regards..I'll have to check. Thanks!!!
    _______

so if you take this coure are u hired with calgary within a period of time or do u still have to go through their recruitment process?

Default doah

well it was about time someone put this thread back on topic ....no you still have to go through their recruitment process, it doesn't guarantee you will get hired.
    Last edited by wannabeFFgurl; 04-14-2005 at 03:50 PM.
    _______

Talking

I went to a fire school in Nova Scotia and recieved my level 2 with hazmat ops, and awerness also a MFR rating cost me $8600.00

and I took me 4 years to get hired by Halifax Fire I start in 53 days I am so freakin excited the hair on my arms stands up when i think about how wicked it is gonna be.

Default congrats!

Well congrats on getting in! and you start in 53 days! amazing! I can't wait till I get to that point, atleast I hope I can get to that point..lol, hopfully it won't be 4 years like yourself, but you never know. Congrats again!!
    _______

Ahhhhh you spent a shift with Dave and John in High River? Hope they didn't teach you all thier BAD habits....LOL

Just kidding Dave.
    Dave Burn
    (EMT-P Student)

Thanks.......

Just a guess but buy the looks of your name your a female right!!!!

Halifax is going to be doing a female only recruitment coming up in a few months it may be of intrest to you. keep an eye on their website. http://www.halifax.ca/Fire/index.html

Default haha

Well I spent it with Dave and Theresa (sp?), but ya, learned alot, but I don't think any of it really stuck with me, I was watching through half closed eyes..lol...You can ask Dave...I was practically falling asleep standing on my feet watching them clean up after the first call..lol. so tired!

hrfes1 - Yes, last time I had a shower I was a female :P hehe, just kidding with you. Thanks for the link, I will see what it says, its a little far from home, but I will check it out! thanks
    _______

Can anyone tell me if the " c " program in calgary is IFSTA certified as well as NFPA? I was told that the IFSTA certification is important for applying Canada wide as departments are looking for that certification as well.
    Dave Burn
    (EMT-P Student)

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe it is IFSAC certified but not sure about the ProBoard.
    www.rmesfire.org

Thread Information