Default Calgary Fire Fighter Training Program "C"?

So, I found an ad in the Career section of the Calgary Sun on the weekend advertising for a Fire Fighter Training Program "C". It is a partnership between the Calgary Fire Dept. and fire etc. Basically the ad says:

This program consists of a six week self-study followed by seven weeks practical training and provides certification in:

NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications Levels I & II
    NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Response - Awareness and Operations
    NAPD Driving and First Aid/CPR Level "C".

Application deadline is May 13, 2005.

I fugured I would post this and find out if anyone else has heard about this or knows anything about it. I am hoping to get a chance to call the number provided in the add to find out more information, which I can post when I find out more.
    _______
    "There is no expiration date on your birth certificate, so make every day count" - William Phelps from "Lethal Guardian"

Forum Member

Thinkin this is one of the regular courses fire etc does - taylored to Calgary's needs. The course will be mandatory next year for applicants!
    Dave
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Default ah ha, the truth comes out

Well I just phoned the number on the ad, and yup, it is a course specifically designed for the Calgary Fire Dept. for next year, and to help out with this year's applicants too I guess. I also found out that on top of the course fees, there is another application fee for the physcial fitness and aptitude test done by Calgary. So in total, the full amount is $8,400.00 roughly, not including taxes, meals, or accomodations if needed (and if I heard correctly). Yikes! Thanks Dave, your right as usual!
    _______
    "There is no expiration date on your birth certificate, so make every day count" - William Phelps from "Lethal Guardian"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ideal candidate?

While we are on the subject...

Does anyone know what the 'ideal' candidate demographic / training / experience overview looks like?

ie.
    25 - 35
    EMT
    1001's
    4 years volly exp.
    Journeyman electrician

(These aren't my stats)

Randy

So does this mean that the City of Calgary will only be hiring out of this program now?
    How exactly does it work, do you have to go through Calgary's recruitment before you can go to school (test, physical, interview, polygraph etc?)
    I hope they still hire people who already have 1001, 472 and all that jazz but just didnt take thier program...
    my .02

MembersZone Subscriber

Well right now I know a fellow who is going through the app process with Calgary Fire and he has absolutely no fire experiance what so ever. But he is an EMT and he is going for the interview in 2 weeks i think. As far as I have heard 1001 will be a pre requisite for Calgary Fire next year but you wont have to take " thier" course as far as I know. As far as the IDEAL demographics for applicant go there is a little information on the CFD website that I seen. And alot of it now has to do with that Personal Disclosure document that they have implemented.
    Dave Burn
    (EMT-P Student)
    Effort only fully releases it's reward on someone who refuses to quit!

Forum Member

I have first hand experience with Calgary's program and can answer a few of your questions. Yes 1001 will be a prerequisite for Calgary in 2006 but only on a trial basis. Getting this course does not give you a guarantee into Calgary's hiring process and Calgary will not hire exclusively from the Calgary course roster. If you get the C certification you will still have to go through the entire hiring process.

The course is very well done and well worth the money. If you went to Vermillion and took the course, all the same lodging expenses would apply. Personally I think the Calgary course is a better option.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Clarifying a rumor

I heard a rumor that Calgary has recinded thier stance on 10-01 as a pre req for 2006 class as they have found that since stating this thier applications have dropped emensely. Just wondering if anyone has heard the same?
    Dave Burn
    (EMT-P Student)

Well I haven't heard that rumor but I am not surprised if is true. How many people walk around with $8,000.00 in their pockets to take a course like the one they are offering with fire etc....and even if you take the course, it won't guarantee anything. So you spend the money, and you may not even make it past the application process step...not my idea of a fun time. Its hard enough having to spend the money to get the CPR and EMR Certification and still not even have the chance of making it past the application step...just my $0.02 though.
    _______

MembersZone Subscriber

Hmmm no difference in taking the " c " course through Calgary Fire or taking your EMT. Niether one guaruntee you a job when you are finished, just depends on how bad you want the position and how much you are willing to sacrifice to get it.

If I could get the time off I would love to take the "C" course. ever since I left my old department i have missed it and have wanted to get my 10-01 finished up. We'll have to see what happens in the future. Have to flip a coin between Paramedic and 10-01's.
    Dave Burn
    (EMT-P Student)

Default hmmmmmm..

oh don't get me wrong, I would love to get my name on the roster, but between my full time job, two volunteer jobs, and my EMR course, there is no time to even think about getting a second job to try and come up with the money to pay for it. That and I would rather get more SCUBA courses under my belt to help me out as I am going to apply to the City this year anyways. But we will see, if I win the lottery I am taking everything I can get my hands on! lol

Actually, now that I stated it, since I can't afford the whole "c" course, would it be more benficial to me to take the odd fire course instead of more Scuba courses (I would want to specialize in that area)? Or is it really going to make that much of a difference, as dburnemti stated earlier in the tread, he knows a guy who has no fire experience who is/did the interview.
    _______

Forum Member

Hey FFGURL,

No experience is ok with Calgary as you are tought their way. A general knowledge goes a long way though, so keep reading your essentials book and you will get a good idea of general operations.
    Hows the EMR going?

Default its going..

Mental Note *keep studying*..lol...thanks Dave.

The EMR course is good. I am struggling quite a bit with the initial patient assessment steps, so that is holding me back. I have gotten together with a few classmates to try and go over it, but we are all remembering different bits and pieces, so I have to see the instructor this weekend (we are in class all day on Saturday) about doing a good clarification of those first initial steps. I write my first of many quizzes today, so we will see where I stand after that. Only 36 more modules to go till the course is finished ... lol
    _______

Forum Member

If you need help with your assessments just give me a call. During ACP you will need a firm grasp of the pt assessment skills. Have you started in with the pneumonics yet (DCAPP,BLS,TIC,DRT, GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT OTHER ONES THEY HAVE COME UP WITH).

Study hard

Default oh yes...

I may have to Dave, I hoping I can grasp it pretty quick once someone actually sits down or talks it through with me ...unfortunately the instructor won't. We just learnt about DCAPP, TIC and BLS last saturday, Im still trying to remember those too. I think I know those better than the assessment and I have never heard of them till last saturday. lol The testing centre is closed tonight so I can't do my exam..grrr...so tonight I am going to take some time and go through my book and do the steps for the patient assessment, I am hoping it helps.
    _______

Forum Member

The assessment is pretty easy really. Put it into a logical order. Start at the head look at all the features of the face - Pupils (equal and reactive, scelera yellow or white), ears (CFS?), Nose (deformed, blood, snaught), Mouth (teeth present, tongue)- big thing is to verbalize what you are looking at and what for. Once you have looked, then you feel for deformity, contusioin, abrasion, penetrations, Burns, laceration, swelling, Tenderness, instability, crepidity.
    Keep that format, neck, chest, abdomen, pelvis, lower extremities, and upper - primary survey is done. A primary survey when profficient in the field can be done in a minute - in a scenario shoot for 5 minutes.

Your instructor sounds very helpful. Anytime you want to go over this stuff just drop me a line. It is easy when explained!
    Dave

Default small diversion off topic..oh well

Thanks Dave! It makes a little more sense seeing it listed, as its not set out very well in my text. We'll see how saturday goes with the instructor, hopefully we can put a few more pieces to the puzzle, like where the BP cuff comes into the whole scheme of things. One question though, If your going through the rapid body assessment, and you come across something, do you treat it right away, or come back to it after your assessment is done?? Thanks again!
    _______

Forum Member

If it's life threatening you do immediate intervention, if not then you make note of it and carry on. Most things that are not life threatening can be dealt with enroute.

One thing I did when doing my EMR was to make flash cards of all the pneumonics and important things that I wanted to remember. We also formed a study group. Did you get a handout outlining the surveys? If not ask your instructor for one. Once you have the order of operations for your surveys you are golden. Just remember, stay calm, focus on what you are doing, don't get tunnel vision and listen to what the symptoms are, look at what the signs are and determine what they are telling you. Trauma is easy, medical is challenging. I prefer medical to trauma for the challenge, trauma is an obvious adrenaline surge.

Good Luck !!!!!

I'll see if I can dig up my flash cards and then I can maybe help you some more.

Oh yeah, don't get fixated on the obvious. If there is an obvious injury expect something else that may not be so obvious.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Default lots of help :)

Thanks PFire We are now working on Respiratory Emergencies and the Anatomy, so I am going to start your suggestion with flash cards, as there is so much to remember now and I have only been through one class! When I got home from my St. John training last night, I sat back and thought about the scene and initial patient assessment, and I did it all in my head, so I think I am over complicating things when I physically do it. I am always trying to remember the next step and foregetting what I should be doing at that moment. So I will have to get out of that.

I have a group from my class that I get together with, and we have met once already, but we are going to set up two nights every week. One to do scenerios and practice what we learned, so for example, right now the BP cuffs. This week will be working with stretchers and spine boards. And then the other night will be to do studying with the text and going over questions posed in them. So I think that will greatly help out too.

Thanks everyone! (its almost time to start a EMR help thread for myself)..lol.
    _______

MembersZone Subscriber

It would also help a little to know what assessment system you are using. There are two being taught out there right now.

1- Pre Hospital Trauma Life Support ( PHTLS )
    2- Basic Trauma Life Support ( BTLS )

Both Dave404 and I were both trained using the BTLS modality and once you have a grasp on the metheodology of the assessment than it gets quite easy. As Dave404 said don't get too far ahead of yourself and break it down into different areas ( Head&neck , Chest, Abdomen)then what you have to look for in each.

The rapid trauma assessment as Dave said can be performed in about a minute. During this you are only looking for LIFE THREATS and if you would like me to email you a list of what I have in my notes fr this I would be glad too. Just PM me and I will help in anyway I can.
    Dave Burn
    (EMT-P Student)

Default I think I have it

Originally posted by dburnemti
    It would also help a little to know what assessment system you are using. There are two being taught out there right now.

1- Pre Hospital Trauma Life Support ( PHTLS )
    2- Basic Trauma Life Support ( BTLS )

I sent you a PM about the two, so I will just wait to hear back, but I honestly couldn't tell you which one we are using I am just going to assume BTLS till I find out otherwise.

Okay, so I think I have the assessment down, what I am doing is checking everything individually for any signs of swelling, deformities, blood...going from the top of the head down to the toes. Now when I get to the hands and toes, can I have them test their motor skills, like have them squeeze my fingers as hard as they can, or push/pull against my hand? (if I am checking the feet).

OKay, let me get this on an even bigger picture. I show up at a scene, use PPE, assess scene for any hazards, ask patients name, what happened, etc. That will allow me to check airway if they respond and how they respond. From there I check breathing, depth/rate/condition. if that is all good I check circulation...so ABC's. from there I would go into my patient assessment from head to toe. If I find anything life threatening treat it. Then once that is finished and I finished the assessment, do I got into a secondary assessment and do SAMPLE and get vitals? Is that how it all works together as a big picture?
    Last edited by wannabeFFgurl; 04-14-2005 at 12:26 PM.
    _______

Forum Member

BURNSY BURNSY BURNSY - PHTLS and BTLS are advanced courses. EMR is the basic assessment to find priority symptoms. So forget about BTLS until you do your EMT.

Ok as for your assessment - Arrive on scene, Check time (just in case your missing something on tv), Check for hazards to your team and to the patient (ladders,cars, electrical, dogs, cats, squirrels), Look for Number of patients, Look for mechanism of injury, Are their any bystanders (if yes get bystander info), make a judgment call on wether or not you need back up (scenario land you will ALWAYS need back up.
    Recapp
    -PPE
    -Time
    -Hazard Check
    -Number of patients
    -Mechanism of injury
    -Bystander info
    -Looking for deadly bleeds and angulated fractures.
    -CALL FOR BACKUP.
    Once you have done that you can approach your patient. If its trauma always take c-spine immediatly. Check Airway (open and clear), Breathing (rate,depth,quality) apply oxygen now. Circulation (Rate,Rythm,Quality). Once ABC are taken care off then you can begin your primary head to toe exam. When you are doing your exam check the feet for Pulse, motor and sensation - same with the Hands.

Your primary survey should only be stopped to deal with life threatening emergencies (ie deadly bleed needs to be addressed immediatly, Changes to airway breathing and circulation). All other injuries make note off and deal with later. If the patient has a broken limb have one of you backup hold MANUAL STABILIZATION until such time that you are able to package appropriatly (usually during secondary exam enroute to hospital).

Hopefully that doesnt confuse you too much - its a lot to remember.

P.S. I think this thread has officially been hijacked

Default awesome

can squirrels be considered a hazard?? lol Is there a story here somewhere Dave? This is perfect, I am going to print that and staple it to my binder for future reference!

I knew it would be hijacked as soon as you asked how my EMR course was going...lol THANKS!!
    _______

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: I think I have it

Originally posted by wannabeFFgurl

Then once that is finished and I finished the assessment, do I got into a secondary assessment and do SAMPLE and get vitals? Is that how it all works together as a big picture?
    After you finish your Primary Survey( or rapid trauma assessment)then you determine the Pt is " load and go ". Package and move into the ambulance ( make sure to verbalize who is with you in the back and who is driving), recheck ABC's after moving Pt and delegate vitals to your partner in the back. Then you start your Secondary assessment looking over the whole body again and treating any other injuries found and checking any interventions you did in your Primary assessment( Pressure on Bleeding, Occlusive dressings etc.)

Then when you get that done, recheck vitals again ( good rule of thumb is every 5 minutes on an unstable Pt) and then you go to your ongoing exam where you recheck all of your interventions( splinting, dressings, compliancy of BVM and OPA if you had to ventilate your unconcious Pt, ABC's)If your Pt is alert ask if he/she is feeling better or worse than when you first began care. Patch to the hospital and start all over if you have time.

It would be nice if I could video a scenario being done and let you see how easy it can all flow together. Once you get the hang of it it will be quite easy and come as second nature, but it seems like quite the information overload right now.
    Dave Burn
    (EMT-P Student)

Well I will be printing that off too, thanks dburnemti. Its all making alot more sense now that I can see the steps and there isn't a whole different chapter in between the steps.

Now that would be nice to see, a video scenario. I keep thinking back to when I spend a shift with Dave404 on the ambulance and what they did, but you know, I can't remember much about that call except that I forgot where suction was, even thought I was sitting beside it on the way to the call so much for "not panicking"..lol. I wonder what my library has in that regards..I'll have to check. Thanks!!!
    _______

Thread Information