Disillusioned Subscriber

Default Hot S**t -- literally

Talk about a $hitty job ---
    Burning Manure Pile in Nebraska Goes Out

MILFORD, Neb. - It took nearly four months, but to the relief of neighbors miles around, a burning manure pile has been extinguished.

David Dickinson, owner and manager of Midwest Feeding Co., said Wednesday that several weeks of pulling the 2,000-ton pile apart proved effective by late last week.

"We got far enough through it, that it quit," Dickinson said.

Dickinson's feedlot, about 20 miles west of Lincoln, takes in as many as 12,000 cows at a time from farmers and ranchers and fattens them for market.

Byproducts from the massive operation resulted in a dung pile measuring 100 feet long, 30 feet high and 50 feet wide. Heat from the decomposing manure deep inside the pile is believed to have eventually ignited the manure.

The Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality told Dickinson that his smoldering dung pile violated clean-air laws and it worked with him as tried to extinguish it.

Huge feedlots have become commonplace, and dung fires have occurred around the country.

Dickinson said his pile may have been ignited in part because of grass clippings his feedlot had been accepting from the city of Milford. The clippings could be more combustible and he plans to stop accepting them, Dickinson said.
    Those "snow capped mountains" in the background is the pile of manure referred to in the story. I guess a report of being in "deep doo-doo" wouldn't be entirely out of order.

In all seriousness, this had the potential to be an extremely dangerous situation unless dealt with properly. Everything from being buried under unstable manure to explosion of potential methane pockets.
    Last edited by Steamer; 02-23-2005 at 02:24 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

FIGJAM

Certainly potential for being quite nasty....

I must say though, I'm laughing more at your name on the forums (Steamer) and the fact that yous posted a thread all about s**t!!!! Sorry, couldn't help but laugh.
    Luke

Disillusioned Subscriber

Thanks, lutan. You could've not pointed that out ya know.
    That kinda crossed my mind, but I thought what the hell.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Yeah, I didnt think of the name association until it was brought up by lutan.

I would have taken a 4 month vacation somewhere if I lived near that place.

Forum Member

Was that pile of cr@p produced during a legislative session? Seems to be about the right amount.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

So can ya imagine the first due officer's report on pulling up that?

"We have a 1000 by 2000 by 100 foot pile of manure with no exposures. Establishing command on the A si.........Oh man, these are brand new boots. Son of a bi......."
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

It wouldn't really faze my chief DaSharkie, He has been known to show up on calls with manure on his boots (his old rubber fire boots) and stinking to high heaven. Luckily for us, and the patient if it's EMS, he stays away from everyone. He and his borther own and run a small dairy farm. I'm just glad they don't have a ig pile of manure like that one.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Stench.
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

Forum Member

Chief says "Probie (points to pile) go overhaul!"
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

We were called one day to help a neighboring department with a similar (but much smaller) situation. A large compost pile (consisting of manure, mulch, sawdust, and whatever else was thrown in) was on fire, and it took all day+ to put out. We have the only CAFS trucks for miles, and the foam really helped. We pumped foam through numerous handlines, as well as a ladder pipe and a deck gun. With the help of a few skid loaders, 20+ gallons of Class A foam, and many many many many hundred thousand gallons of water, the fire was finally out. Then came the several dozen sets of smelly turnout gear, and miles of manure-soaked hose.

NOT my idea of a good day.

FIGJAM

Thanks, lutan. You could've not pointed that out ya know.
    That kinda crossed my mind, but I thought what the hell.
    I really am sorry, but it just caught my eye initially and I just had to read the post!

So can ya imagine the first due officer's report on pulling up that?

"We have a 1000 by 2000 by 100 foot pile of manure with no exposures. Establishing command on the A si.........Oh man, these are brand new boots. Son of a bi......."
    What a laugh that'd be to hear!!!
    Luke

Sr. Information Officer

Following the extinguishment of the manure piles, the firefighters retreated to their homes. They were just pooped out.

I know....that really stunk, huh?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Where is "burning crap" on the NFIRS report???

Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

I looked that one up on NIFRS myself...lol

Thread Information