Thread: Ready to pop!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Ready to pop!

Okay guys and gals, this may not be the right place to post this... but I got to!!!

I had my first ever (as in never done one of these before) oral interview with a volunteer (for the time being, as they are trying to make it a paid department) department on 02/14/05, yesterday... 02/22/05, I received a call from one of the Captain's that was involved with my oral interview... They offered me a position with the department!!! I am so d@mn happy!!!

Forum Member

Congrats bro!
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yay!

MembersZone Subscriber

Good for you! Congratulations

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

WWWOOOHHOOOO! Well done.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

congrats, good luck, and be safe
    Do what you have to do for everyone to go home
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff

September 11th All gave some, some gave all Fever Forget!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, felt I did pretty good for my first oral (kept having to remind myself to breathe) and then for them to call offer me the position.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Congrats.

Judging by the title of the thread I thought someone was having a baby.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry Ryan... but the way I felt after the phone call, if guys could give birth... I probably would have shot something out!

Ok, can anyone give me some pointers or what to expect?! I know keep my ears open, and mouth shut... except when asking questions/for help.

I too just got accepted as a probationary firefighter at my local department. I can say this, as it's what my dad, who was a firefighter for 22 years said to me, listen and ask. Ask everything oyu can think of. Even if it's on scene. YOu won't look stupid, you'll just look like a good probie. If they say they need an ax, or a spare scba bottle, and you don't know, ask where it is. It's easier to take the three seconds to tell you, then to have them look for you cause you've been gone for five minutes. The only dumb questions are the ones we dont ask. I've actually found that asking a lot of questions has made it easier to talk to the other guys. They like it, it give us something we have in common to talk about, and it shows i want to know how to do the job right the first time.

Oh, and expect a lot of teasing, and making fun of you. It isn't personal. It means the guys like you, and want to get to know you, and help you fit in. If you put up with them, they put up with you. Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself when they laugh at you. Pretty soon, you'll be firing em back as fast as you get em. It's good when you reach the level of comfort with each other that you can make fun of everyone there, and all that results is a good laugh. It really is like a giant family of 40 or so brothers. They make fun of you, and goof on you, and they may, figuratively of course, smack you around a bit. but every one of those guys will be there if you ever need anything, ever.

But basically, yeah, it's scary. I'm scared as hell caus ei dont want to look stupid either. But you sem to have the right idea. Just ask questions, and listen. Heck, do what i did, ask some guys what it was like when they were probies. YOu end up learning a lot about how things are now, versus then,and you get to share a few laughs.
    Last edited by gdhickster3; 02-24-2005 at 04:14 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats on your acceptance GD, thanks for the input. Quite frankly... I am nervous as hell, yet quite excited. This Saturday we have new hire orientation, in which they are going to teach us where all the equipment is located, pulling hose and connecting to hydrants, checking/inspecting the SCBA as well as donning it, CODE 3 driving, and a lot more.

MembersZone Subscriber

All of this in one day?

Originally posted by be58d2003
    This Saturday we have new hire orientation, in which they are going to teach us where all the equipment is located, pulling hose and connecting to hydrants, checking/inspecting the SCBA as well as donning it, CODE 3 driving, and a lot more.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is what I was told on the phone by the Captain that called me, it is from 9am to 5pm. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Wow, just the driving is like a weekend course in itself, and thats just for ems and stuff.

Pulling hose, hydrant connections adn all that are taught in drill and at essentials class. All in all, im looking at at least six months of training before i do anything other than be a glorified runner, and clipboard holder.

MembersZone Subscriber

Being that it is only volunteer, I am guessing we'll be learning as we go. We are required to attend drills on a regular basis.

MembersZone Subscriber

deleted by user
    Last edited by superchef; 08-13-2007 at 12:56 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks SuperChef... I actually did some cooking and dish cleaning as a ride-a-long with my local department (not the one that picked me up), as well as house cleaning... Unfortunatetly, we haven't a kitchen yet... we just got a day-room and a dorm room, we currently have a Porta-Potty®... But we are actually renovating the station because it used to be a two-man crew, with the rest responding via pager... now they are going with an eight-man crew... We are working on a larger dorm room, kitchen, and real bathroom!

What is the McDonald's® slogan?!?! I'm Lovin' It!

Thumbs up

CONGRATS! Learn lots and have fun.
    Rath De Ort

RSM

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up OK Kid, Pay Attention.......................

First, Congrats!! Welcome to the Brotherhood. Now, a few points. The part about listening and learning. There IS a time to speak up and not blindly forge ahead. That time is when there is a SAFETY issue at hand. If YOU think there is a problem in an order that was just given to you, Ask (respectfully, of course) about your concerns. A. good example would be if someone told you to "grab that hose, and get up that ladder" and you have never done that yet. There is a right way and a wrong way to everything that we do here, and you can be injured if you don't do it right. I have 46 years in this business, and there is ONE thing that I'm most proud of: I've never gotten anyone else hurt because of something I did or said. Here's wishing you a long and successful career.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

46 years!Harve,I'm thinking somethin',can you read minds? Was your first engine a hand pump?Hehe! I'm not that far behind you and it's been a helluva ride.Good bosses make it a lot better.For the uninitiated,stay awake and pay attention.After a couple years you'll think you know the job.WARNING! You don't. It's the little day to day details in this business that get you hurt;or WORSE.Be ever vigilant or something you aren't expecting will sneak up and get ya.Expect the unexpected and train for it.And never forget those that went before you and that EVERY day is a TRAINING day. T.C.

Thread Information