Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Paying My Own Way??????

I am 30-yr. old and was a member of a vollie dept. for 3 yrs.(left due to my job schedule).I have a bad credit history > some speeding/no insurance > and a 4th degree assault -spouse amended to disorderly conduct -guilty.

I really want a career in the FIRE service and with the above it dont look good (in my opion) but,I am trying to correct as much as I can.I have sent/received an e-mail from my state EMT regulatory agency saying that I can still get/pursue an EMT certification. I have already received 200+ hrs. in fire service and I am looking at some nationally recognized programs for RESCUE technician.

My question is "CAN I PAY MY WAY THRU FIRE ACADEMY????"
    I noticed that TEEX has an academy and I attended industrial fire school there (also how I know).

Someone please help.

Michael

>THE TRUE MEASURE OF A PROFESSIONAL LIES IN HIS ABILITY TO ADAPT TO NEW SITUATIONS.<

Default PAYING MY OWN

AH COMING ON SOMEONE GIVE ME ADVICE ON THIS
    >THE TRUE MEASURE OF A PROFESSIONAL LIES IN HIS ABILITY TO ADAPT TO NEW SITUATIONS.<

Forum Member

I don't really see a reason why they would decline you the chance to take EMT class. I know when I took it there was nothing about previous background history asked. Heck, all you had to do was go to the Community College and register! We had people from all walks of life in there..!

As for paying your way through the academy??? Are you talking about a certification academy I assume. To get FF1/FF2 and Rescue Tech. stuff..? Right? I'm not sure about where you are, but in NC they don't really care about previous history in those academies either. As long as you can pass the classes, and fulfill their needs.. why should they care about any speeding tickets, etc. I know some complete retards that went through some of those type academies.. they weren't associated with any FD, and who knows what kind of background they had! Of course, some didn't make it through because they didn't study and apply themselves, etc. I don't see why getting your certs. like that would be a problem either...BUT..

As for a "career" department... I'm not sure on that one. I think if all of your previous background can be explained and/or justified then you might still be ok. Usually a larger department doesn't want people who have anything more than a minor misdomeanor or traffic violations. They also look at the number of points against your license.. at least they do in NC! Mainly what they ask about is "Have you been convicted of a Felony?" "If yes, explain in full" and "Have you been convicted of a traffic violation in the last three years?" "If yes, explain in full" Another way of them asking the first question is, "Have you ever been convicted of a crime that has not been pardoned, annulled, expunged, sealed, or impounded by a court?" "If yes, please give the conviction date(s) and the nature of the offense(s)." These departments will also either ask for, or ask permission to obtain both your driving and criminal background for the past 7 years. Those are just some things to take into consideration.. I hope it is some help for you.. and lets you know how well you might "weather the storm." Remember, you're not a loser until you quit trying. So don't give up hope!

MembersZone Subscriber firepimp's Avatar

For the fire academy I know they do do a background check , and i just signed up for emt and they did a background check on me also i believe if you have a felony you cannot proceed not to sure though. THERES MY INPUT.

Thread Information