Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Is It A Good Idea?

The vollie dept. that I was with put a person in the PIO slot to keep him under the chief's nose and assigned him a Lt. to help him.

My question is it a good idea to put someone in that slot just to keep an eye on them or should PIO's be well trained in this aspect of the service?
    >THE TRUE MEASURE OF A PROFESSIONAL LIES IN HIS ABILITY TO ADAPT TO NEW SITUATIONS.<

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you need to want to do the job and be capable of doin the job. But if the only reason that the Chief put the person in the spot is to keep an eye on him, then there is a serious issue with the department.

But that being said, I love being the PIO in my department as well as a deputy chief.

But I love to do it.
    Jason.
    Career Paramedic/Volunteer Firefighter
    Saving Lives or Basements everyday.
    Member of the IACOJ

Goalies are the best btw :P

Forum Member

Default New PIO

It's imperative that your PIO knows what to do and say.

They can make or break the public image of a department.

Forum Member

I'd agree. The PIO needs to be someone with a good bit of fire experience, knowledge of the media and how it works, and knowledge of what to say, how to say it, and how to use the media to their advantage. It is important that the PIO controls what the media says, and doesn't leave the door open for their interpretation.. if that makes sense! Just like any other position in the FD, it shouldn't just be filled by anyone simply for the sake of filling a spot.

Default Re: Is It A Good Idea?

Originally posted by michael2005
    The vollie dept. that I was with put a person in the PIO slot to keep him under the chief's nose and assigned him a Lt. to help him.

My question is it a good idea to put someone in that slot just to keep an eye on them or should PIO's be well trained in this aspect of the service?
    Section one of your post... assigning someone to babysit is a waste of manpower.

Section two of your post... it is vital to have someone with knowldege of both fire ops and how the media works in the position of PIO.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber rescueman5's Avatar

Question

This just seems to be a waste of manpower. If your chief does not like or trust this person why dosen't he just git rid of him. The job of PIO is an important position in any department. As a previous poster said they represent your department in a press situation. not only should they be knowledgeable in the service but also be able to handle difficult and repeative questions from reporters.
    Volunteer Firefighters: We Do It For Free 24/7/365

I agree is it a waste of manpower. There needs to be a peson with some know how in the position.

Co.5
    There is no cost too heavy to preserve one's honor
    -Gandi
    FFII/HAZMAT Opps.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Sounds like a really dangerous way to "babysit" a problem child. One wrong statement or miscue to the media and your whole department could appear inept, stupid, or poorly managed. Good luck on that one!

Coming from someone who has over 20 years experience in broadcast media, trust me, a PIO with no understanding of journalism/media will be eaten for lunch by the first reporter who's worth their salt.

Forum Member

FTMPTB15, I support your comments with the sole exception of...

It is important that the PIO controls what the media says...

While the balance of your well-thought comments seem to negate those words, we must be cognizant (and let others understand) that as PIO's we cannot, don't desire and will not benefit from any actual or perceived effort to control the media.

Other than that, I'm in full agreement with your sentiments.

Stay Safe and Be Well,

Brian
    Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

Thread Information