Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Used equipment

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Used equipment

Anyone have experience/knowledge of issue of purchasing used equipment with fire grant $?

For example in shopping find can get 1 wiggit for the $1000 in the grant but can purchase 3 fully servicable compliant used for the same $1000. And 3 units will make us 3x as capable. Any idea how the progam looks at this?

Note we did not mention/discuss in grant purchase of used (or new) just what wanted and price.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any equipment that you purchase new or used must be NFPA compliant to the current standard.

As for the great deal in price, we have gone through a similar situation. We recieved a price substantially lower than the original price on SCBA cylinders. The original request was for 21 with the savings we could have purchased 28. According to the powers at be, we could only purchase the 21. The remainder of the funds becomes excess. Once you purchase everything on your grant, you can use up to $5000 to purchase additional equipment that is related to your request. Any amount above $5000 has to go towards fire prevention with permission from the grant program. Once we finish buying the remainder of our equipment we will go back and purchase more cylinders.

Because of how excess funds can be used, your 3 for 1 deal may only work out to be 2 for 1.

Originally posted by onebugle
    Any equipment that you purchase new or used must be NFPA compliant to the current standard.

I may be wrong, but a guy at ODP that I talked to said that the used equipment has to be compliant with the standard that was in effect the year the equipment was built, not necessarily with the most current standard.

Forum Member

Question Just asking...

Not to be a smart*****, here, but if you're writing a proposal for equipment of some kind, why wouldn't you write a proposal to buy all that you need of that type of equipment new in the first place?

Maybe I'm entirely off-base here, but I have this vision of people writing proposals for replacement of one-half of their SCBA or two-thirds of their turnout gear, or all the hose on one of their two engines, or something like that, and I'm asking myself, "Why would you do that when you can ask for money to replace all of it?" Even if that's not the case, and you planned to expand capabilities beyond what you had originally, why wouldn't you write the grant proposal for everything you need to become "3x as capable," if that's what's needed?

It strikes me that, if I were writing the rules for these grants, I'd write a rule that says, "Buy everything new from a manufacturer who follows current NFPA standards, period." That way, the grant recipients get new, compliant stuff, we create incomes and profits (and maybe jobs) on the manufacturers' side of this thing, and everybody wins.

I'm probably not helping at all here, but I'm just curious...

MembersZone Subscriber

Well you're at least 1/2 off base. Perhaps you're in the check writing for dept improvements zip code, most depts are not. We are going to stretch our Fire Grant to get as much improvement out of every $ as we can. Just as with every single $ we tax for and fundraise.

Every level of gov't is not a pork barrel/spending/"jobs" resource. The Fire Act in particular is not an employment program/fire industry profit grant.

Fire Act grants have a significant "return on investment" factor. More bang for the buck puts you in a better position to be successful with your app.

Yes, a project replace 1/2 of your noncompliant turnout gear is idiotic. Project should be to replace all noncompliant gear. Issue is safety and you will receive better pricing with volume. And with a decent grant app you will be likely to win. However if you are requesting scarce program $ to replace noncompliant turnout AND to replace 2 year old servicable compliant turnout gear you are DEAD WRONG, at a minimum. Read the 1st paragraph of the Guidance for program intent.

There is a lot of used equipment that compliant with current standards and is suitable for use and reuse. A second hand monitor, hose, fittings, hand tools, ladders ,etc etc etc that on passing inspection and if has had appropriate testing is perfectly suitable for use by another dept. Whether Fire Grant is involved or not. You would trash your golf clubs/lawnmower just because your neighbor accidently dropped a wad of cash in your driveway?

Forum Member

Originally posted by neiowa
    Well you're at least 1/2 off base. Perhaps you're in the check writing for dept improvements zip code, most depts are not. We are going to stretch our Fire Grant to get as much improvement out of every $ as we can. Just as with every single $ we tax for and fundraise.
    Actually, we're municipally funded now, and expressly forbidden from the old direct-mail and door-to-door solicitations we used to do. A few years ago, our township commissioners came to realize our time was better spent training, planning, etc. than fundraising, hiked up the local fire tax, and gave us an operating budget to go with the capital budget that was already in place. We don't get to spend lavishly, by any means, but we get to focus on firefighting, rather than worrying about money, and that's gone a long way to making us a better trained and more effective company. I do, however, recognize that most of you out there aren't in this position...and that's sad, by the way...the people you protect on your own time owe you better than that. Anyway, we'll move on...

Fire Act grants have a significant "return on investment" factor. More bang for the buck puts you in a better position to be successful with your app.
    There is a lot of used equipment that compliant with current standards and is suitable for use and reuse. A second hand monitor, hose, fittings, hand tools, ladders ,etc etc etc that on passing inspection and if has had appropriate testing is perfectly suitable for use by another dept.
    OK. That makes sense. I guess this would also make sense in the context of keeping the overall cost down if you have a limited budget with which to pay the match. It just never occurred to me to chase free money with the intent of buying used stuff. Different worlds, I guess...

You would trash your golf clubs/lawnmower just because your neighbor accidently dropped a wad of cash in your driveway?
    No, I'd give it back to my neighbor because the money he accidentally dropped doesn't belong to me. I might do so, however, if I hit the lottery...which seems a better analogy to the grant process.

Thread Information