Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default "Hard water" deposits

Just had some maintenance done on our pumps, the repair person expressed concerns over hard water deposits and possible problems with mineral/lime buildup. He suggested putting Dawn type dishwashing soap in the tanks to help prevent buildup.

Does this really work? Has anybody else tried it? What (if any) alternatives are there? What ratio of soap to water works best?

Thanks in advance for any information you may have.

Ive heard of that, but not for the reason you mentioned. I have heard its good for the pump valves, and it also helps in extinguishment, sort of the same way class A foam works.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber
    Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Most any Liquid soap or detergent will work. It acts as a surfactant in the water which basicly reduces the surface tension of the water molecules. I have used Ivory brand more than any (soap based) but it is argued that a detergent based will not "gum up" as bad. Any "soap based" cleaner has natural animal fats in them and detergent,s are chemicaly based. Any surfactant will "lubricate" the water molecules and also bind the minerals that make up "hard water" which will make the minerals less likely to form deposits in your apparatus tanks and plumming. As for that matter, any class A foam will do the same thing, as it is just a souped up liguid detergent. Mix it about .01% in your tanks and it will really help.

Hey guys....where are we going and why are we in this handbasket??

MembersZone Subscriber

I have had experience with the same thing. Hard water build up on the balls inside of the valve, due to little use. I spoke personally with a pump mechanic at "First In " and he directed me to use about a pint of Cascade dishwasher soap per 1000gal. of water. He said to add it directly to the tank, and operate the pump with the recirculate valve open. We operated all the valves, except for the pre-connects with the pump running, then unhooked pre-connects, and piped them back into tank, and operated them also.

He also recommended that after circulating for about 15 min. that soap water be drained and tank rinsed thourghly. He said this soap may be harmful to some types of packing in pumps.

We have incorporated this into our quarterly maintenance program, and it seems to work well. Check with your local fire supply, or pump manuf. to see what they recommend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the replies. Looks like we may give it a try.

Thread Information