Forum Member

Question Are we alone? What do you think?

Link

With the latest suggestions by NASA that their maybe some sort of organism on Titan,and the discovery of possible microbs in the meteorites from Mars and now ABC now doing a documentry on UFO's.

"UFO's" have appeard in out culture from cave paintings and guy pointing to a UFO in the Maddona painting to cigar shaped objects in the skys during the 1800's to the "abudctions" of the 20th and 21st centurys.

So, question is.........do YOU believe we are alone in the universe?
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

After reading some of the posts from some members on these forums, I have no doubt that extra terrestrials (sp?) have visited this planet and left some behind.

I've always felt it's an awfully big universe for us to be the only living thing in it. And no, it doesn't really concern me.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

No! We are not alone.

If you think about it, our one sun has nine planets. Earth is known to have life, Mars has water and so does Jupiter's moons (both). Meteors that are known to come from Mars have fossilized plant life. Now looking up at the sky(away from city lights) at all those stars. Astronomers have found other stars with a solar systems(planets). That is just in our Galaxy(Milky Way, no not the candy bar). There are just as many Galaxies out there as there are stars in our one Galaxy, if not more. Who is not to say, there is no space or other star sructures past that? I find that highly unlikely that we are the only living organisms out there. As far as aliens coming to visit and/or abducting people, I don't know. never happend to me or someone I know. Only heard about it in stories, TV and movies.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

Forum Member

THATS IT - IM PUTTING MY ALUMINUM FOIL HELMET BACK ON!!!They will never get me in my mountain fortress!!!
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    ....I have no doubt that extra terrestrials (sp?) have visited this planet and left some behind.
    Michael Jackson would fit the bill on that one...

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by TCFire

Michael Jackson would fit the bill on that one...
    Wasn't that said in MIB, along with Rodman?
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

dazed and confused

Originally posted by Dave404
    THATS IT - IM PUTTING MY ALUMINUM FOIL HELMET BACK ON!!!They will never get me in my mountain fortress!!!
    LOL - so THAT's why ARFF have those silver aluminized helmets...

God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Disillusioned Subscriber

Originally posted by JorieH
    No! We are not alone.
    As far as aliens coming to visit and/or abducting people, I don't know. never happend to me or someone I know.
    Why does Stayback come to mind??
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I know Sy Stallone was listed as an alien in MIB.

Yes, there's other life out there otherwise all those Star Trek episodes won't happen. Historical Documents.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Originally posted by RyanEMVFD
    .................. all those Star Trek episodes won't happen. Historical Documents.
    Hello? Vulcan? We `aint ready jest yet!
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Huh?.......................

Originally posted by JorieH
    No! We are not alone.

If you think about it, There are just as many Galaxies out there as there are stars
    Gee, I dunno about THAT many Galaxies still surviving. Ford only made them for, what? about 12 years? Most of them are in junk yards now, except for a few that have been restored by collectors.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it would be incredibly pompous of me to assume that the human form as I know it was the only one capable of existing. It doesn't particularly scare me; I'll deal with the issue as best as I can when the need arises. I just hope that the meeting is a peaceful one and no-one decides to take agressive action against the unknown. I'm more of a "live and let live" kind of girl

Forum Member

Im not alone, my wife is sitting right here on the couch
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

heck, with as big as the universe is susposed to be and we are the only things alive, thats one heck of a lot of wasted space.

Dont forget, if they ever crash and create a fiery crater, we will be the ones who get to meet them first

Forum Member

Haven't been alone for a long time........ Look at Michael Jackson...... He's just an alien that's shedding his skin........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I'll deal with the issue as best as I can when the need arises.
    Dont forget, if they ever crash and create a fiery crater, we will be the ones who get to meet them first
    From what I've heard on a TV show (can't remember the name) they said that the Fire Departments are the only ones with a written guide if a UFO was to land.

Fire Officer's Guide to Disaster Control Second Edition, Chapter 13.

It makes for some interesting reading. For example, the very first line is "In this chapter we will now turn our attention to the very real threat posed by Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs), whether they exist or not."
    Scott Maples
    www.Jeffersoncityfire.com
    Firefighter/EMT-IV

If you're always talking, you're never listening...if you're not listening, you're not learning.

Originally posted by Stick533

From what I've heard on a TV show (can't remember the name) they said that the Fire Departments are the only ones with a written guide if a UFO was to land.

It makes for some interesting reading. For example, the very first line is "In this chapter we will now turn our attention to the very real threat posed by Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs), whether they exist or not."
    What does it say after that?

Forum Member

What does it say after that?
    I'll finish the first paragraph...
    "The well-documented and highly publicized War of the Worlds radio drama by Orson Wells shows how even a percieved existance to alien creatures can cause very real disaster-like conditions and panic among a given populace. In addition, if the apparent visits by alien beings and their space vehicles should pose any threat, it will, as always, be the fire service that is called upon to provide the first line of life-saving defense and disaster mitigation."
    Over the next 13 pages it breaks it down in to segments such as "UFO Classification System", "Adverse Potential of UFOs", "Force field impact", "Communications Disruptions", and a few other potential hazards and effects to consider if a UFO is encountered.
    Scott Maples
    www.Jeffersoncityfire.com
    Firefighter/EMT-IV

If you're always talking, you're never listening...if you're not listening, you're not learning.

Ill make sure to have a charged line armed and ready in case they try any funny stuff. Wasnt water their weakness in that horrible movie Signs?

Default LAUGHED OUT LOUD!

Originally posted by Dave1983
    Im not alone, my wife is sitting right here on the couch
    I'm still laughing at this! Dave1983 -- I enjoy your sense of humor.

MembersZone Subscriber

Given that astronomers are now finding planets that are orbiting other stars with much greater frequency, and that some of those planets are in the right "range from sun" distance to support life, I'd say it's very very likely that we aren't alone. One report I read recently suggested that as many as 30% of stars could have planetary systems that could support life.

I'm hoping that we make contact with another civilisation before the end of my lifetime - I want to be the first firefighter on earth to swap a tshirt with one of their fire departments

Seriously I think it would be incredible to be alive when first face-to-face contact is made - arguably it could be the most important day in our planet's history.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Originally posted by Stick533

Interestingly, some conspiracy theorists argue that this is proof that the government KNOWS that aliens exist but is keeping us in the dark. After all, why else would there be a published guide (for official emergency agencies' use only) detailing how to deal with the crash of an alien spacecraft?

Cooler heads realize, of course, that any object spotted in the skies that cannot be identified (blimp, weather balloon, experimental aircraft) by the observer is, technically, a UFO (unidentified flying object) until identified. Somewhere along the way we've taken the acronym "UFO" to mean an alien spacecraft.

The well-documented and highly publicized War of the Worlds radio drama by Orson Wells shows how even a percieved existance to alien creatures can cause very real disaster-like conditions and panic among a given populace.
    Any event, real or percieved, that has the potential to cause public panic and rioting, should be planned for in a fire department's emergency plan (granted, "UFO sighting" would be pretty low on my list of panic-inducing events, but I guess "War of the Worlds" proved that it can happen).....

I think it would be incredibly pompous of me to assume that the human form as I know it was the only one capable of existing.
    I have to agree with that statement. Considering the vastness of the universe and how tiny a microscopic speck the Earth is in comparison to it, it would be arrogant of us to assume we are the only planet capable of sustaining life.

Some wisdom from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" regarding the population of the Universe, which is zero....

It is know that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all planets of the whole Universe can said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 02-25-2005 at 08:42 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Originally posted by Steamer
    Why does Stayback come to mind??
    HEY!!! How'd I miss this one???

I did see an interesting piece about aliens on Oprah once.

May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

who the hell is issued this book, im pretty sure not every fire dept, in the nation has one.

Thread Information