MembersZone Subscriber

Default SCBA Mask Neck Strap

I saw on Scott's website that there is an accessory for the facepiece "Facepiece Neck Strap", I was wondering if anyone uses them and if they get in the way of your hood. I get tired of my mask hanging and catching on things when not in use and thought of trying this.
    thanks
    Holds the facepiece for convenient easy retrieval when wearing an SCBA. The strap is constructed with the same materials as the Air-Pak® Fifty™ harness and is designed to adjust for a comfortable fit.

Forum Member

We had similar straps on our Survivair masks. Ended up removing them as they got caught on more than they ever helped. We have a D ring clip on our masks and use that to clip the mask to our coats. Keeps it close, little swing to it, and does not interfere with guys donning/doffing.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We have them on our MSA's and they work fine .........at least for me.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Hate-em, Hate-em, Hate-em!

We are in the prcess of changing to a small clip on the SCBA harness (although it could go on the jacket or mask instead), for our Draegars. The neck straps have been a pain to most for a while now.

The clip ensures they stay upright and clean when hanging, and you don't have to fight to prevent your neck strap from sticking out of your balaclava half the time.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

If you remember to put it around your neck thay work great and don't cause a problem. If you forget they are a pain in butt. The get caught on everything coming and going. Myself I like them.

Forum Member

I have one on my SCOTT......... We left it optional for our people if they want to wear one or not.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

We have them on our MSAs and I like it. Like the others have stated, it can get hung on things if not used properly. Granted with all the stuff on SCBAs it's not hard getting caught on something. Good thing for training.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hate them with a passion - they are always getting in the way. If I've got time when donning I'll remove it.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

I personally would neer use one of those I would not want anything around my neck that is going to hang me up in a fire. If you dont like your mask hanging what I do if I am working and dont need my mask on is to unbuckle your waiststrap on your SCBA and place the high pressure line and mask inside the strap and rebuckle your waist strap. It will hold you mask inplace on your hip and works really well so you dont have your mask dangling all over the place when you dont need it and still want your pack on.

Disillusioned Subscriber

I chuck the strap off of my mask at the start of the shift. I had a pocket sewn on my coat to stow my mask when I had it off. It keeps it out of the way, and protected to keep debris from getting inside.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Neckstaps are standard issue on SCBA's here in Australia, I like them as they stop the mask from hanging down and being bashed about.

A word of warning though, make sure the straps are of a fire retardent material. A dept here ordered some replacement straps from a SCBA supplier and were supplied with straps made of nylon or similar which were intended for industrial/confined space SCBA use only - make sure you have aramid or other fire retardent straps.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have...had a neck strap on my msa facepiece. It lasted all of 2 minutes before it was removed.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

We have neck straps on our MSA masks and I don't like them.
    At one drill in our tower we were going through a mask maze. One prop onvolved crawling through an obstruction with entanglement hazards in it. The strap got caught on the hazard, and I removed it right after that.
    A few options for your SCOTT, push the mask hose up in the shoulder strap so the regulator sits at your shoulder, or just fling the mask behind your head and over the other shoulder. With my MSA I have a bag that can clip to the shoulder strap, it is a quck release type so if it gets caught it will come off.

My .02 but I hate the neck strap.

Forum Member

i personally like the strap. we are in the process of getting new msa's and there are so many bells and whistles on the new models that a neck strap is the least of our worries now.

With a Scott try pushing the high pressure hose up the sleeve in the harness shoulder strap. This keeps it out of the way for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have them for our MSAs and I've never had a problem with them. With the MMR clipped into the waist strap, there's no other convenient way to carry the mask.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Our mechanic made ours. He bought a roll of 3/4" nomex strap and a bulk of snap hooks. Ended up cheaper per mask then buying them from Scott Most of the FF's use them and Ive never heard of anyone having a probelem.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

former FH.com member

I hate those damn straps, what a pain in the *** to try to get all that stuffed under your hood without leaving a gap. I leave my mask attached to the regulator (Scott SCBA) and clip it the 'biner on my left shoulder until needed.

i had one on the MSA i was given (had) lol the new survivair i just clip it to my coat works fine for all of us at my dept
    Mike

Forum Member

Exclamation

All of our members are issured face pieces and none came with straps attached. We also provide pouches for each face piece.

I agree that for the most the straps are useless, unless you just want to have it hanging around you neck for some reason.

We use Surviviar Panthers.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information